Working at Zurich Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Zurich Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Zurich Insurance

From NJ — 03/12/2010

Considering the status of the insurance industry in the current market, Zurich employees are fortunate that the company maintains stability. Unfortunately though, there have been times when business decisions included releasing valuable employees. For those of us that remain, we are asked to do one thing - our jobs. We are paid well and are rewarded yearly, even during periods when we might not have done our best performance. We are asked to offer excellent customer service, which is nothing less than we would expect from any of our own personal insurance carriers.
We are all adults and, each day, make the choice to continue to work for Zurich. If people remain in their positions because they are not able to find, for whatever reason, another job comparable then maybe instead of chastizing Zurich, they should be thanking them for the continued employment opportunity.

From Schaumburg, IL — 01/24/2010

I've worked for Zurich for about 6 years. I worked in the document processing center for all Zurich mail. Three of these years I was a temp. After three years they finally hired me as a pernament employee. The work environment was really good there, the managers were really nice as well, never had a problem with any of them. Sometimes just like all management can be hard on you or on other people but it's their job and you can't blame them for it. itI had very flexible hours if I asked for them and usually got them. The coworkers were very friendly and nice people to talk to also. The place I worked at was very nice overall. The work I did was not challenging at all, there was no room for advencement even if I worked there for 10 more years. My position and many many other positions not only from my department but from any department were outsourced to India. Zurich will outsource any job to India that they possibly can to save money. I can't say what the exact numbers are but I'm sure these numbers are very high for laying playing off because of outsourcing. This is the reason why I graded -5 for job security because there is none. Overall the place I worked at I really liked and all the people there including management. However, the company itself I don't have much respect for Zurich just because you are just a number for them if you work for them.

From Atlanta, GA — 01/07/2010

Pay - Solid for those doing a good job. For the whiners on here who have a problem with it, they should think about focusing more on their job than on whining and perhaps something miraculous might happen like a raise.

Respect - Great for those that respect the organization that provides security to them and thier family. Unfortunately there are bad apples like those whining here.

Benefits - OK our organization continues to contribute to the 401 k, etc. For those whining, go try another place and you will learn.

Job Security - Not sure it gets any better as long as you work hard

Work / Life Balance - Good for those who know how to manage their time and focus on the right things. For the whiners on here, they haven't figured it out yet.

Career Potential / Growth - Great for those that do thier job and don't whine....

Co-worker Competence - Aside from the whiners on here, most of my coworkers are skilled and actually want to contribute.

Work Environment - Great - company spends a lot of time thinking about the employees and does what it can. However, it is called a job for a reason.....we are suppose to work. It will be better once the whiners move out.

From Dallas , TX — 12/30/2009

When I saw some of the things written about Zurich on this website I was upset. I have been with the company for 22 years and it is the best company I have ever been with. The respect the company has given me in all my years is unparalleled. I know many that work with other insurance carriers and they donít get the same level of respect and compensation that we get here with Zurich. If you put in an honest day of work you are rewarded. Those who do not succeed, spend more time complaining about things and writing blogs on websites about how the company is so bad. If they would just put as much effort into their jobs as they do complaining about it, maybe they would get the respect they feel they are lacking with this company or any other company. No one is entitled to anything in life. In my 22 years I have seen ups and downs with this company, but I always put in a good hard days work, and as a result, I have been rewarded time and time again for my efforts. What more can you ask then that.

Zurich is a good strong company that treats its employees with respect. Hard work is rewarded. There are great opportunities for people to showcase their skills and advance. The people I have worked with are very caring and willing to help out. I love my job and plan on retiring with this wonderful company.

From Chicago, IL — 12/18/2009

Most of the comments you will read here are obviously biased and not objective. Most are likely no longer with the company and we asked to leave for poor performance. I am not a manager. I am just someone who come in every day and puts in an honest effort and works up to my full potential. Zurich is a fine place to grow your career. There is a lot of work and any role often requires additional hours, if you want the job done right and you care about your work product. A job is always a job; having said that, the managers for the most part are caring and respectful; the office is nice and the people I work with have a great work ethic. I have seen people with poor work ethics let go. Poor performance is not accepted and I like that.

If I had the opportunity for a do-over, I would choose Zurich again and again. That is the best way to gauge the environment. Zurich is a great place to work.

From New York, NY — 12/09/2009

"I have long been profoundly convinced that in the very nature of things, employers and employees are partners, not enemies; that their interests are common, not opposed; that in the long run the success of each is dependent upon the success of the other"
JOHN F ROCKEFELLER, Jr.

Good quote, good company. Take responsibility on, have concerns, then finds ways to express your concerns in a constructive way, and in the right forum. Do this and you will be will be doing your part in contributing to the "success," your choice.

From Dallas, TX — 11/23/2009

The company has become dynamic, while being disciplined about risk. Zurich is doing all it can to make itselfs a world class company. Claims in many companies is changing and becoming more competitive and demanding- raising expectations everywhere. Not all who were trained in sleepier times in the claim trade have adapted to the changes and are being managed out. The seem to have their heads pointed backwards and don't comprehend when it hits them. People who in the past met expectations and drift along at the same level now find themselves below the waterline as the bar has been raised. However, those who exceed expectations or are outstanding in this new environment are rewarded. It remains an exciting place to work.

From Pearl River, NY — 08/17/2009

I worked in one of the staff legal offices. My co-workers were, on the whole, wonderful people who made my day enjoyable. The pay was below average for the area. There was an overall feel that all things "corporate" were going downhill as we saw our benefits get more expensive every year and the morale just got worse. The location of this firm was excellent though (it has since moved). The building's complex was gorgeous and had a full range of services down on the concourse (gym, cafeteria, candy/lotto store, dry cleaners, travel agency, post office, daycare, ATMs) and a nice outside (basketball courts, fountain, outdoor tables, outdoor arch/vine-covered benches). It was in a non-busy area in suburban New York, so getting to and from work was very easy, especially for locals. The holidays were minimal (we worked on Presidents Day, Columbus Day, Martin Luther King Day, New Year's Eve and Christmas Eve). The benefits offered were far more than many places (medical, dental, vision, 401k, life insurance, flexible spending, vacation buy and sell program, credit union). One downfall is you don't have sick days. Any day you take off comes from a bank of "PTO" days (paid time off) whether you call out sick or plan it as vacation.

From Schaumburg, IL — 07/20/2009

The all over ratings for the above categories was low due to the current conditions existing in this company. Management must have their head in the clouds not to believe that employees know when the ax is coming. The office environment is strained, if is about who you know and not what you know. There is no job security.

From Schaumburg — 06/26/2009

Given the current environment, I think that Zurich is a great place to be. The people I work with are great and I am very secure in what I am doing. The company has had to make tough choices regarding staffing, but it has only made the company strong going forward. This is a benefit for those that are still with Zurich.