Working at Zumiez — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Zumiez pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Zumiez

From Syracuse/Ithaca NY — 10/10/2010

I started working at Zumiez literally the day I turned 16, now almost 5 years later I am still with the company. When I was hired I received minimum wage (which was $6.75 at the time) but after a year and minimum wage being raised I was getting $7.50. I was then promoted to Assistant Manager and got another dollar raise. I have had no problems with the company itself, only with managers I've had to deal with. In my (almost) 5 years, I've worked under more then 5 different store managers and seen countless assistant managers come and go. Yes the company is very sales driven and yes you have to talk people into buying stuff, but I feel like a lot of the workers genuinely enjoy getting to help people, or atleast I do. Some people who come in are just not all that personable and don't want to talk, but those same people are the ones who then get angry when they can't find something which I could have helped them get in 3 seconds. Overall, we really do want to help the customer get what they need, and everything they need, all in 1 trip. Personally I love my DM and RM, they are both sweathearts and really know what they are doing. My current SM is wonderful as well. Also, yes if you are an assistant manager they will expect a lot out of you, but you should expect that going into the job. You ARE afterall basically helping the manager, know your duties before you accept the job, people! Many people talk of staying until 2 am and stuff, while getting clocked out, but those are for floor moves, which occur less than once a month. Yes you get clocked out at midnight, but your manager emails payroll about the extra hours and you do receive the money you deserve. The only thing I have ever been screwed out of is promised gift cards for doing well in certain tasks, which sucks kinda but atleast it's not directly effecting me. Overall, I would recommend Zumiez for kids in highschool or college who don't need tons of hours and like to help people! And for all you haters, it's okay there's tons of other mall jobs for less personable people :)

From midlothian, va — 10/02/2010

zumiez is a good place to work. for everyone who is trashtalking it about their bad times, then you were a bad employee. suck it the fuck up. i got fired. and then rehired within 2 weeks promoted to manager. so work hard and stop bitchin.

From Round Rock, Texas — 08/27/2010

I absolutely LOVED working at Zumiez. The pay wasn't great (minimum wage + commission) but if you know how to sale, then you'll be fine. The relaxed dress code, environment and my coworkers made this job very enjoyable. Zumiez offers awesome benefits for top sales people including weekly gift cards and even a snowboarding trip during the winter time. After quitting my job here, I have deeply regretted it and have never been able to find another retail clothing sales job as amazing as this one, nor have I ever felt as comfortable around coworkers as I did at Zumiez. Would definitely recommend this job for anyone who is great at sales; there is potentially a lot of money and benefits from it!

From NV — 08/04/2010

Haven't actually worked there this is just my experience when I asked & submitted a job application. When I asked for a job application the person who helped me was nice and helped me out. After two days I submitted my application and handed it over to one of the SA & he insulted me! I couldn't believe it! His co-worker said that he was mean. I decided to just put on a smile and leave asap. That put me off right away. Also I noticed not a single female employee was in sight. So most likely I won't get considered & personally after that experience I wouldn't want to work there.

From Philadelphia — 10/06/2009

there isnt any better company to work for when speaking of mall based retail companies.