Working at Zones Inc — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Zones Inc pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Zones Inc

From Auburn, Wa — 09/02/2010

It amazes me to here so many negative comments about, Zones. What amazes me more, is that it's true. The negative and the positive of it. I've been around big money earners, earners that can con you right out of your t-shirt. Real salesman, who I would question in this line of work. The "Account Executive", this guy can sit, and sit, and sit, and sit some more. On top of the drill sergeant, repeatedly saying Talk Time, Talk Time, 3.5 hours. I poor over in laughter at the fact I'm still putting up with it. But, what the previous comments say about Zones, it's refuge! And, it will drive you mad to stay there. I've heard the rumers, of women moving up the chain, after some brain. But, can't say much to it being true. Now, there is a lot of cover up, on how a particular women moved up the chain, though, no one can say for sure. You can, and will loose accounts to other A.E.'s, and Zones incompetence. The reality is, it does have perks, the goal is unattainable, the pain isn't worth the pay, ever, and at least you have a job. NOW, pick the phone up, DAMMIT!

From Auburn — 07/30/2009

If I were to perform this survey over 3 years ago the ratings would have been much better. Yes, i worked for low pay in a management postion in lieu of maybe someday it would get better. There is no respect from SMT on the operations/procurment side. Need to know basis and told to keep quite on so many issues to not rock the boat.

From Auburn, WA — 03/07/2009

Zones is a good place to work if you are ready to participate in an industry the literally changes by the month. There are hundreds of thousands of product and thousands of vendors.
I would say that out of all of the sales staff, about 5%-10% are actually compentent. The rest of them should be let go immediately. I understand the attrition rate in this industry is high, but come on, figure it out and have a vested interest or find a different job.

The support staff seems to be lovely and they work very hard. I would also say the OVR's at Zones are typically good and 1 team sets the bar and standards at Zones, and that would be IBM. They are knowledgeable, timely, trust worthy, and know the product line inside-out.

Overall I would say the pay for the support staff including OVR's is outrageous, the lowest in the industry by far. I don't know how they justify a salary of 35K a year to support 100 million in revenue. ABSOLUTELY SHAMEFUL.

From Auburn, WA — 12/10/2008

My time with Zones was interesting, and I don't really have anything bad to say about the company. I would just say that this is a very hard job. That needs to be stated at the beginning. If you're looking only for a job to clock in and clock out, don't be an account executive, unless you like to inflict suffering and stress on yourself.

Its good having previous sale experience, but you will really have to clean your slate because this is a completely different animal. If you have sale experience in a belly to belly or person to person situation like myself, you'll have to get used to selling over the phone, which is different. Also, if you're used to short sales cycles, you'll have to adjust to a longer sales cycle. There is definitely a learning curve, that can be pretty lengthy, because you have to learn about the IT industry and their specific needs. Understanding your customer needs ties directly into your understanding of what solutions to provide them or at least knowing how to dig for pain points.

PAY: First year pay isn't really that great. Make sure you negotiate a good base salary, because you won't be nearly selling as much as you'd like the first year. Build your book of business like mad or the following years won't be what you're expecting. There are a lot of top earners in this company, but you'll need to bring in consistently new accounts

RESPECT: Respect is good overall. Like everyone else, you'll run into some people with issues, but if you carry yourself in a correct way, you wont' have problems with respect. Most management will work hard to help you because their paychecks depend on you

Job security: There are quoatas involved in this job, but a lot of people after a while don't make their quotas after a while and are consistently underperforming, and are still there. They're not laying people off either. But there are quotas and matrixes that are constantly pushed, so there will be pressure to hit you numbers.

Work/Life Balance: This depends on how much you really want to succeed. You can come in and work your standard 9 hours, and make the minimal amount of money to make. To really make money here, you'll have to come in early and often times stay later, so you can prepare for for your next day. Not to mention all the after work trainings. They're not required, but you really need to devour these to get ahead. Be prepared to spend 2-4 hours after work at these trainings. A lot of people skip their breaks also just to spend more time on the phones. If you're not driven, you'll work the minimum. If you are driven, you'll be there a lot. With the trainings and getting there early, 11-12 sometimes 13 hour days are common.

Career Potential: If you can survive you can make decent money. You can move to different roles in the company also. They fill positions as tech support, vendor representatives, cust support etc from people already on the floor. If you stay on the floor long enough, you can definetely transfer to another position. A lot of people also are still on the floor and are still working their original divisions, not moving out to other ones. Underperforming or mediocrity basically locks you in as an account executive. A lot of people take this job fresh from college, some take this as a refugee from another industry, others its an inbetween point while they're preparing to go back to school. If you're mediocre here, I wouldn't so much call it a career, keep in mind its a really tough job.

Location: There aren't a lot of locations. Either you're next to a call center or you're not. There should be restaurants and stuff near by though

Co-work competence: Some of the brightest people I've met are here, like really sharp individuals. I've met some pretty not so sharp people here also. I think if you shake up the group, the cream rises to the top. Stay away from the incompetent people because they'll drag you down

Work environment: You'll get a cubicle and its a clean environment. I think its better than most call centers. Just keep in mind, if you're easily susceptible to stress, don't take this job, this job is hard. Because you are in a cubicle, you're sitting for long periods at a time, and working under the stress of performing. As with a lot of call centers, lots of people really let themselves go. They gain lots of weight, and when they do decide to move around, its to go outside and smoke cigarettes. There is a work out facility, but I don't know how many people are using it.

If you plan on doing this job for only a year, you could try, but thats not enough time to really build your book of business to capitalize on it. The 1st year is always the toughest. Did I mention that this job is hard? Being mediocre is even tougher. Either work hard and do well or find sometihng else to do, unless you really really need a job and can't find anything else. Turn over rate here is pretty high. About 50% disappear after about 6 months. Did I mention its a hard job?