Working at yodle — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about yodle pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at yodle

From New York, NY — 08/06/2010

I want to start off by saying that I absolutely love this company. I have been working here for a while now and I can honestly say that I look forward to coming into the office each and every day. Yes, the hours are long. Yes, I have sacrificed some of my personal relationships to spend time at work and become part of the group. Yes, the rewards are totally worth it.

However, things are not all perfect here. We recently became profitable and things have started to change. First they told us that since sales are down this quarter we have to change our dress code. This makes no sense. It's 100 degrees outside. The humidity is ridiculous. You are here for 10-11 hours a day. So to make you sell better, you now have to be uncomfortable. The rationale is beyond stupid. There is no relation between these two. I wish I knew who was behind this.

Next, we do not get paid overtime. That's fine. It's a sales job. If you want to stay late to close a deal or call someone from California that's on you. But now they are telling us that we can only work 40 hour weeks. If we stay late, we have to come in late the next day. So they are now punishing us for wanting to excel. This also makes no sense to me.

And the final thing is that they obviously want to take the company public, and so they are hiring at a tremendous rate to keep up with all the accounts that our incredible sales staff bring on. But now they are telling us that we have to change our entire office demeanor. No more drinking after hours, no more games, etc.

I know it's a job, but these are the things that I love ABOUT this job. If they change, it will be just another lame office environment. And I don't want that. Hopefully somebody will read this and catch on to what's happening. The job is great, I just want it to stay great.

From Charlotte, NC — 07/21/2010

I have worked at Yodle for almost two years now, and it has been one of the best experiences in my life. The culture is amazing, and the leadership knows how to take care of their employees. There are always new perks that arise that make up for the long hours that may be required to get the job done right. The offices are fun, the people are great, and the opportunity to grow in this space make it a great choice for those looking to jump start their careers!

From Philadelphia, PA — 06/22/2010

I came from a successful career at a Fortune 500 Company and was unsure how I would adapt to the atmosphere, industry, and the start-up environment. During the interview process I met a bunch of smart, motivated and energetic people which made MY decision an easy one. I looked into a NUMBER of industries and positions with various companies but discovered Yodle was the best fit for ME. I truly am excited to come into work each day and enjoy working in such a growing field with a great company. The leadership at Yodle is second to none and has us positioned to be THE choice for local online advertising.

The work environment fosters teamwork, personal growth, and "honing your craft". The downsides are I have made some small personal sacrifices in order to excel here but the reward has been worth it. Across the board at Yodle there are common traits of successful people, no matter what position you are evaluating. If you are looking to grow professionally, can think on your feet, can quickly adapt to an ever-changing marketplace, and will work in conjunction with your team at Yodle for the greater good of the company and our clients, then you WILL be successful here.

From NYC — 06/21/2010

yodle is a great company to work for.....A bunch of intelligent, passionate marketers you always get to learn from.....yodle values its employees and employees respect yodle for that...Love the work environment here at Yodle....

From Any Office, USA — 05/28/2010

Wow, a lot of really professional posters on here! LOL

Yodle is a GREAT PLACE TO WORK. Yes, if you do not sell, you do not get paid commission. No, the base salaries will not make you rich. It's called SALES for a reason! If you think you can thrive in a performance-based society, and are a proven salesperson with a track record for success, Yodle should be your #1 choice for a career!

If you had to fleece people to get sales, then maybe you didn't understand the position. If you don't like hard work, go somewhere else. If you are not organized, disciplined, and quick on your feet, you'll drown.

Yodle's momentum in this industry cannot be stopped and is beyond a shadow of a doubt going to land them at the top of the food chain for local online advertising. Their company motto, "Customers Rule" and "Keep Your Word" and "question authority" (amongst others) are key components of how to attack your role here.

FOR THOSE WITH NEGATIVE POSTINGS- did you once pose a question to your direct mgr about how to be successful here? Or did you hear about 1 customer that didn't have a good experience and then quit on yourself. Shame on you for your lack of professionalism on this board, but good luck to you finding a nice cushy job where your base salary covers your bills. That is not sales.

Another thing is that Yodle does well hiring top-talent. I've NEVER been surrounded by such a smart group of people all working towards a common goal. There are contests, a casual working atmosphere, and a definite "work hard/play hard" mentality. Oh, and I've seen HUNDREDS OF SMB'S save their business in this tough economy through a relationship with Yodle.

If you are lucky enough to get an interview with Yodle, go for it. But be sure about it, b/c in the next 3-5 years if you can make it here you're going to be very happy with your decision!!!!!!

From charlotte, nc — 02/26/2010

This company is all smoke and mirrors. Every single customer you get involved with wants out after one month and no clients stay with them so making money there is near impossible. They micro manage you down to everything and the managers are a bunch of know it alls who dont help you with a thing but love to get on you. Barely anyone makes any commisions here because word is spreading like wildfire about how big of a ripoff Yodle is and nobody wants to waste their money. This is a 30,000 a year job and dont expect to make much more no matter what they tell you.

From NY — 02/05/2010

the only people they make managers are people from YAHOO believe me I watched it over and over again. Mike Deluca is a fucking nimrod why they let that guy be vice president is beyond me he's a complete idiot.

the custom sites they tried were the most expensive pieces of waste I've ever seen, they rarely go live and you only get paid on accounts that go live.

when I started there you got 80% of your first month's billing which was fucking awesome.

Then they dropped it to 50%. I can understand that the company needed new business.

Then they brought it to 27% of live accounts accounts launched on the internet. Then it was if you don't hit 50% you got nothing that 50% was to cover your salary. That's fine I always hit my small 10,000 quota. But then they brought the 27% to 14% but now you get paid every month the account stays on. Most of the accounts want to leave after the 1st month and are dying to leave after the 3rd because yodle takes 50% of the clicks so a client that comes in at 1,000 now has 500 to spend and 300 are dead clicks so only 200 will go to actual leads. Now the 14% was only in the beginning to get the office to initially switch over you only get 7% now. This job is a nightmare I fuck someone over every single day. Maybe if I land a job at yahoo they'll hire me back as a manager haaha. Save your soul stay away from yodle.