Working at YMCA — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about YMCA pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at YMCA

From Naperville, IL — 03/04/2010

I worked at one of the Naperville YMCA's through high school and college. There were a ton of great people, some of who I still talk to. Both of my aquatic directors were responsive and competent and would promote you if you took initiative. The best part about the Y is the environment. All of the staff and members are really wonderful. I miss it!

From Greensburg, IN — 12/07/2009

I love, well loved my job there. I grew up in the YMCA and am very passionate about their vision and philosophies. I have worked there both part and full time. I envisioned myself as being a lifer that would one day be the CEO at my branch.

Well that all changed when our new policies hit the books. Things I have been doing for years with out problem now were threatening my employment status. I was becoming stifled in my growth. All the long hours that I didn't mind putting in now weren't enough. This all lead to me being forced to pursue my dreams or my career even though my dreams didn't take away from work time. To make things worse, I was being treated as the bad guy. I gave me heart to the YMCA like a school boy smitten with his first girlfriend. Now she has returned it damaged and wants me to pay the bill. If the great american dream in pursuit of happiness, then this has become the great american tragedy.

The YMCA should learn to value its employee as much as it does its community.

From La Jolla, Ca — 10/13/2009

Communication is the key. I use the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility to communicate with patrons and peers. In keeping those core values in my focus, the same has been reciprocated to me. I love working there. I enjoy my colleagues I work with. We are always trying to improve service as a team. We know that what we give is given back to us from our director. We have a great team. Great director. I am given the opportunity to feel valued and reach out to make new friends.

From Columbus, Ohio — 12/07/2008

Overall the YMCA of Central ohio succedes in fulfilling the mission of building strong kids, family and community. The visible and Strong Leadership at the YMCA have always demonstrated caring and respect to the lower level employees.

Benefits for Staff include membership, discounts on classes and extended discounts for partners, as well as terrific retirement and matching 401.

No ones job is safe in this economy, however, anyone who is willing to be flexible is accomodated and only the totally incompetent are managed out.

This is a great opportunity to involve your family into your work life, and with childcare onsite as well as youth sports, swimming lessons, pools, family nights, volunteer opportunities, gyms, yoga, pilates, cycling, c'mon, "What more could you ask for from an employer"

Career growth is there for anyone who comes to understand the Y's mission and has the patience to wait for the right fit to arise. Don't think you can advance fast here. You need to be good at your job, competent, caring, and willing to stick it out in the long haul if you want to move up here. But then the stars of this association shine bright for many years, they don't rise fast and burn out.

With so many locations around the city it can't be far for anyone to drive or take the bus like I do everyday.

Co-workers vary from inept to competent, however managment tends to work with them to find a "fit" to a fault.

The environment is clean and safe for me and my family. I would recommend the YMCA of central ohio to anyone who wants to make a difference in their lives and the lives of others. It is enriching, but if you are an egotist I recommend you stay away or you won't be fulfilled.

From Spokane, Washington — 11/15/2008

I love working for this company. It is here for the community and I feel good serving my community. Most of the people who work there have the same attitude, so I think the people who work there are mostly good people. There are many departments which you can work for the YMCA, anything from youth leader to accounting to fitness worker to janitor, so there is a job for anyone. Even though I do not qualify for benefits (work less than 20hrs), most, if not all, full timers do. I also hear the benefits are ok. In all, it is a good place to work and I would recommend it to people. Although, if you are looking for a high paying job... run. You probably won't find it.

From Modesto, CA — 07/22/2008

To tell the truth, I really like this job and everyone is pretty easy to get along with but seriously there is no room for advancement and they really don't take care of employees...especially the ones that have been there for a long time! I think they figure that, well since they have stuck around so long, we can just screw them over....Seniority doesn't stand for anything! I like the fact that they are flexible with scheduling and that you have job security (unless you are a director!)...You really have to screw up big time to get fired...