Working at Yellow Book — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Yellow Book pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Yellow Book

From Rochelle Park NJ — 10/05/2010

This company has been around a long time and is an American classic. My time here has been one of steady growth and monetary reward. They have transitioned very nicely from the standard yellow pages to the internet. The product is an easy sell since businesses need to advertise and they look for a name everyone knows. The freedom given on this job is exceptional, the bosses only get in your face when you are behind quota otherwise you are left alone to make your money. I think this company is the best kept secret in sales. With the training they provide and the support from management, it is almost impossible to fail unless you goof off.

From An office in NYS — 09/23/2010

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Especially in todays economy. I've got a book of business, 1000+ leads to go after and a whole bunch of products to sell. All I have to do is worry about myself and make sure I exceed my objective. The negative comments posted here from various offices are a little disturbing. This is just like any other sales company. Do the job, get the cash. Fail to do the job, be prepared to feel some pressure and if it goes on too long, you're gonna get canned. The game is changing and it's hard sometimes, but it can be done. I've seen enough in my time here that the good ones rarely leave because they make really good money and have flexibility. It's obvious that the negative comments are from those that are not getting it done and they're blaming everyone except for themselves.

From Minneapolis — 04/22/2010

This company is totally driven by the dollars. I do understand that money is important, but when management tells you that you "you can operate on 4 hours of sleep" in order to complete a objective or "you should probably look for a different job, people just aren't the same after a divorce", that makes you realize they don't care about you as a person.
Please keep in mind that I was a market leader in multiple books and sold over 130k in new sales (per year) multiple times, along with being a Presidents Club winner.
The company its self is changing but is overall a good company to work for, but when management uses fear of losing your job on a daily,weekly or monthly basis to get you to do things, it makes for a very negative working enviroment.
Since the market for print yellow pages has declined and yellowbook has dropped its prices, my income dropped by almost 20k even though they increased commisions. The reason they increased commissions was because of the price drops in the ad programs, and all but 2 people in the office (30) made far less money than previously.
The work/life balance with this company is terrible, mostly because the money is average for the large amount of hours you will put in on a weekly basis.
I can't speak for other yellowbook offices, but if you are considering working in the Minneapolis office, you may want to consider looking for something else....... trust me, you will regret working with the upper management in Minneapolis!
By the way, 3 years ago they had 48 sales people and are now down to 13, most have quit because of the working enviroment.

From Cedar Rapids IA — 03/30/2010

yellowbook is going through a transformation from primarily a print product to offering an expanded portfolio for small to medium businesses. Yes, a bit scary and a little rocky going through a change in the business, but if were easy everyone would do it. Plus we have a solid base of print advertising to keep us going. Say what you want, but people still use the directory -we have billions of look-ups to prove it. The leadership is smart, competent and determined to focus and deliver on the needs of the customers.

From Monmouth NJ — 03/26/2010

I am relieved to see that the complaints I would have are not limited to my office/management. I see from others (and other websites that do this kind of reviewing) that it is company-wide. It doesn't make it easier to swallow but at least it says I'm not in the boat alone. I can try to understand my managers and why they drink the Kool-Aid. Unfortunately I don't.

I have always been successful in sales due to the way I look out for the account, not my company. Like any other corporate america business, its bout yellow book bottom line first, then I don't know what else. The clients get screwed over time and time again, because the general attitude from above is "so what, go out and get another sale". Perhaps we would have a higher retention rate if we cared about our clients. After all, Joe may sign our paychecks, but the client is the one paying us.

From dayton — 03/19/2010

Yellowbook is a really great company to work for.

From florida — 01/08/2009

overall this company was a very good company to work with. it is unfortunate that with the economy there were so many people across the board let go and/or demoted but these things happen every single day.

From Pittsburgh — 11/24/2008

I had a blast working for YellwBook USA!!! Some would say too much fun. Definttly benefits being single or can help you get divorced, unless she sticks around to spend all the money you make. Great company over all. Was there for almost a decade. Great people to work with. Most people with any knowledge have left due to the Idiot running the Pittsburgh Office. Mark Eschelman and his picture selling cronies he brought in are idiots and could not sell an account over $200.00 if theur jobs depended on it. The worst mistake They made was hiring a few of these idiots into management from outside the company. Management was competant when promoted from within. He has run the Pittsburgh market into the ground, evidenced by the ever shrinking Book that was YellowBook's first "BIG HONKIN BOOK" in a major Market. It is almost sad to see this happen to the best place what once was the best place in Pittsburgh to work, now, from what I hear it is one of the worst due to Eschelman and his buddy Vince.

From US — 10/20/2008

0k, The people complaining need to look in the mirror. Although this job is definitley not perfect it has many more pros than cons. The office I come from the people complaining are the people who don't work or just has no talent. People talking about paycuts failed to mention the company raised allowances and commissions considerbaly at the same time. These people just want to sit at home and make a high salary without doing anything. That is why the took a pay cut becasue they don't sale anything. When they applied and were hired maybe they thought you made a commission by licking your own rear end. If that was possible there would be be a lot of bum lickers out there. Bottom line is that you have to perform to make money, (yea it's that simple) I have been with Yellowbook with the old pay plan and the new pay plan. I made more on the new pay plan becasue I get up and work everyday. On the downside the meetings most of the time are how bad we did yesterday not how good we did or how to do good. It will tear a vehicle to pieces. You have to dedicate some evenings and some weekends to planning, but not to extensive. The only time I plan afterhours is for accounts I can make 3-4k from. I think we all would spend 1 hr in the evening to make 4 grand. Overall Yellowbook is a good company to work for. There will be certain things about this job that is stressfull. If you could tell me one job out there with no worries and stress sign me up. It just don't happen. With motivation and a drive you can easily male over six figures as a premise rep. I make little less becasue I spend a lot of time with my family which cuts into some of my opportunites but I know its there if you want it. I actually did make $1,700 in about two hours today. That is $850 per hour. Match that with an average attorney and you win!

From Virginia — 10/18/2008

I read some of the negative comments and was appalled. I have been with Yellowbook almost two years and it's definitely one of the best jobs I've ever had and I'm almost to the half century mark. I think the people who complain about this company may have a poor relationship with their manager or something or maybe they feel entitled to something without working for it. I work about 30-40 hours a week, sometimes more if I choose. I always hit my numbers and I've exceeded my 2007 earnings and it's only October. Customers like me, they like our products and I feel blessed that some recruiter found me and told me I should give this a try when I really didn't want to. My managers are respectful, knowledgable and do their best to help me succeed. I've had one promotion and earned over $4500 in a biannual bonus in addition to my salary and commissions. Quit your complaining and go out and earn more or go find another company to work for so those of us who enjoy Yellowbook can take your piece of revenue and make a difference for a small business owners across America.

Also, with our internet products now, we are leaps ahead of our competition. I exceeded the expectation on internet sales months ago and am almost at 200% of quota. If you can't sell Yellowbook.com, you really should not be a sales person.