Working at XO Communications — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about XO Communications pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at XO Communications

From Sandy, Utah — 04/20/2010

I came to XO a little over 2 years ago. My job was just lost due to a layoff. I am mostly upset about this because I love my job and it is hard to say that and to truely mean it. I love the opportunity's that I've had here and all the frienships that I made over this time. I will sincerely miss this job!!! They offered good pay and training, advancement opportunity's, fun activity's and decent benefits. This is the closest thing to a perfect job that I can think of because nothing is ever perfect, but I loved it. Goodbye XO!

From San Diego, Ca — 11/25/2009

XO does pay a very competitive salary. I worked for XO for 18 months before they let me go for lack of performance, However I made excellent commissions and got a lot of toys for first 12 months of selling. Health benefits are not that great, but it seems like everybody is complaining about lower benefits. They do have great products. I can't complain about their training either. The San Diego Office Support team members were great to work with. My hiring GM and Sales Manager were also great. With all that said and in no specific order.

The Corporate strategy to automate its customer service and support systems is a great idea, but based on my customer installations and service experiences they need to bring back the "local" human interface and really hold them accountable.

The San Diego is a small market in that as small businesses grow to medium or to large organizations the individuals who work their tend to either stay with those companies or they move to local companies. XO is still paying for the early screw ups and account abandonments when they acquired some of the local competitors.

Recommendation: Hire for customer retention and support, both pre and post installation. Spend some marketing dollars on correcting XO's image in the San Diego Market. You have great products, a great sales engineering team but no true customer support. Did I say local image, installations, support and customer retention (or the lack of) is your main problem. Stop the hiring and firing of sales people. They can't sell their way out of these types of problems. As far as I am concerned XO Communications should be the No. 3 service provider in San Diego. You need to ask yourselves and answer the most important question of all. Why is XO failing in this market and what do you need to do to change your image and your sales performance?

Finally, move the entire office to the smaller office suite in front. so that they can truly feel like a team.
Your existing office is too big for the amount of personnel that's in their now.

P.S. Did I tell you that I was paid about $34,000.00 in commissions (not salary) within 5 months, when I was let go.

From Herndon VA — 09/25/2009

I've been at XO 6 months and the honeymoon should be over; but I love this place. I spent many years at MCI as a happy employee and then 5 high earning years with the most miserable existence ever at Verizon Business. When people rate earnings, work/life balance and respect at XO less than excellent, I have to wonder where they have been working prior....? Yes, the benefits are less than ideal - but they aren't kept a secret. Anyone that commands respect with the work they do and the way the present themselves receives it. Anyone who manages his or her own career and career plans and selects mentors - etc., has unrivaled upward mobility. Work as hard and smart and as much as you choose...noone forces less than ideal work/life balance. As with many companies today and as it should be - its a pay for performance company...it takes some people greater effort and time to achieve the same results as others in less time...that's the beauty of capitalism. This company isnt too different than many in that "If you buy in to where the company is going and what they stand for and you are totally on board and excited, you will have an excellent experience. If you are not, and you are highly employable - move on...don't be unhappy. I'll close with this....if you are a player - there is no better place to work. It reminds me of MCI circa early 90's before that soulless criminal Bernie Ebbers wrecked it.

From Plano, Texas — 05/14/2008

I worked for XO/Nextlink in 2000-2001 and truely enjoyed working there. The reason I left was due to economic uncertainty after 9/11 and the job market with my first child on the way. Hindsight is truely 20/20, and I should have stayed there. From what I've learned, pay raises really haven't been handed out, but bonuses when the company came into extra money. Work environment was excellent, I had more than plenty of time off if I needed it. I left because of uncertain job security, but found I would have been just fine even 6 years later. Good benefits, great people to work with, but hard for certain slackers to get fired. I can't speak to growth potential due to only being there for 18 months, but have witnessed others being fairly rewarded for thier efforts after I left.

From Santa Ana, CA — 03/12/2008

A good company to work for if you have experiance, if not, you will have a rough time. Lots of moving parts that don't know what the others are doing