Working at White House Black Market — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about White House Black Market pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at White House Black Market

From md — 03/27/2010

I work with and for a group of passionate women day to day. Our clientele is wonderful and we are encourage to build relationships with our customers daily. It is nice to work for a company that is not only about the bottom line but also about the women who shop with us.

From California/Washington — 11/28/2009

It makes me sad hearing these negative reviews I had to finally get on here and put in my two cents; I love my job and the people I work with and for!!!

It really breaks down to upper management. It seems as though some Regions or Districts are really having a bad run, but I can't say the same for my District and now my REGION as a whole since I have just relocated to another state but within the same Region.

The managers I have worked for are all amazing, wonderful, empowering women. Ladies I consider role models and great friends. Yes, the corporate side can get annoying when numbers aren't made. Yes, it's tough planning a life around a schedule that can fluctuate from 10 to 30 per week. But I don't think that is specific to WHBM, it's a retail thing. I've heard others say that some stores or districts are cut throat. I've even heard rumors of entire staffs changing hands within a week it's just not like that at any of the stores I have worked at.

As far as advancement goes, I would say that it can appear that the company tends to hire from the outside rather than promoting from withing. But I've come to notice most of the sales staff fall are either college students or women coming back to work after there children have gotten older. Most of the sales staff I have worked with are content with the position they are in and the hours they work because their focus is on something else. However I myself have chosen to get back into retail (after a 10 year stunt in a corp office environment) and have worked hard, showed my enthusiasm for the brand, and shared my positive attitude wherever I go. In less than 2 years I have gone from Cashier/Sales Support to Visual Merchandiser, and now on to Asst. Store Manager of one of the highest volume stores in my district. I've assisted at other stores in my old District as well as in my new one. So maybe I can only speak for California and Washington state stores, but I love what I do and do what I love. There can be bad management, employees, or customers wherever you may work. I just happen to work for a company with beautiful clothing, great clientele, and a staff full of loving, creative, funny, and compassionate women. I miss my old staff in California dearly but am looking forward to really getting to know my new staff here in Washington.

From Boise, Idaho — 11/15/2009

I recently started working for White House Black Market parttime. The other reviews are surprising! Perhaps I am in a better district. The manager's and sales leads at my store are capable, encouraging, professional and courteous. I have been in retail for nearly 20 years, working mostly for independent boutiques. Due to the economy, small business owners can't afford to hire staff. I love retail, and heard that WHBM in my town was hiring. My interview was relaxed yet professional. I would love more pay and more hours, however, in this economy to even have a job is an accomplishment! Because of some of the issues sited in previous reviews, I won't likely go into management. As a sales associate, working at WHBM has been an absolute pleasure! Both customer's and staff make working there enjoyable. Most of the complaint's seem to stem from the "top". WHBM is not unique in this. I worked for a chain retailer in Washington State, and it's unfortunate that upper management can't seem to get a grip on reality, that the economy IS a factor! "Motivation by Intimidation" really does not work, but it seems to be a business model used by MANY retailers.
I just thought WHBM may appreciate a good review, both as an associate and customer:-)

From Omaha, NE 68118 — 11/09/2009

The store itself is beautiful and the people i work with (both customers and coworkers) are wonderful. It's a fun place to work and the schedule is really laid back.

From Oregon — 03/24/2009

I absolutely LOVE working for this company. WH/BM offers great benefits, competitive pay and very generous management bonuses for achieving sales plan. Try to find a retailer that IS offering pay raises this year. With friends that work for different retailers across the US, I can guarantee you that raises and bonuses are just not out there. This company is devoted to succeeding and growing during these tough times, and that starts with the team that they have onboard. To any hard working, self-starting, ambitious people out there considering working for this company...this could be the job for you. If you don't want to work hard for your success and think this could be a job where you just do what you need to do to get by, you probably want to look for something else.

From Chicago, IL — 03/22/2009

It has just been announced, as it is the time of the year where performance reviews are due, that there will be no pay raises whatsoever. Absolutely no exceptions, regardless of time served or performance. Proceed with caution if you are considering employment with this company.

From san Antonio — 11/05/2008