Working at Wells Fargo — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Wells Fargo pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Wells Fargo

From San Francisco — 06/05/2009

The Wholesale area of the bank is a great place to work!! I know that other areas aren't nearly as good, as I worked there also. Wells Fargo Wholesale has decent pay, very good benefits, and most importantly - good people - who create a good work environment. Sr. Management is very competent and I very much like "doing what is right for the customer" - a value that is instilled throughout our area. I've seen the company lose money - to do the "right thing", because we know it WILL work out in the end. My managers give me the responsibility I want, with the support I need to get my job done (and then some). They provide me with the tools (good laptop, blackberry, programs, classes, training...) to make me more productive and efficient - which makes me a happier worker. They understand home / work relationship and don't care about "face time" so long as you do a good job - you have to deliver. As I mentioned, I really like my co-workers. I actually go out after work and on weekends with my co-workers / friends!! What a concept!! I've been at Wells for 10+ years (several in Wholesale) and actually kind of like going to work (although I don't want to sound like a tool - but I did have some unexpected time off and actually enjoyed returning to work - if I can say that). Working in SF can't be beat and we have a great office - nice view, good furniture, desks, good ergo training....

From Costa Mesa, CA — 05/30/2009

The benefits are good and the pay is decent. But with how often you have to make the customer happy, it doesn't make it worth it at all. I come home everyday wishing I wouldn't cry. I am constantly left by myself to make decisions for the branch ( i am not a manager ). It seems the people who do get paid more make the people who get paid less do most of the work and wonders why everything isn't done. I do get respect, on occasion. As for job security, they have so many rules and regulations for the way checks are supposed to be processed, and if there's even one slip up, you could lose your job. Understandable when potential money loss is involved, but nonetheless the security isn't too great. The work/life balance is out of control. I used to be easy going and somewhat carefree, and i have now turned into an anxious negative person. They do promote growth within the company, but is very difficult at times and they often promote the wrong people. Location is decent as well. Here in orange county there are quite a few locations to choose from. Competence is decent as well. Work environment sucks. I have people yelling at me everyday and don't understand i'm a person. I'm nice and i get nothing but grief for it. Good luck with your endeavors.

From Wisconsin — 02/26/2009

I really enjoy working at Wells Fargo. I work with a great group of people. I have had many opportunities to learn and grow within the company.

From Santa Monica, CA — 10/04/2008

I love this company! I have worked for many banks before coming here and this is by far the best place to work for. The management treats the employees like family. They genuinely care for your well being, they encourage you to do better and in turn, it makes me want to be a better person!

From phoenix, az — 08/28/2008

For me I came from Retail sales such as a mass retailer. So this is a big step up for me. Pay is good but I have a eye on the future and in this company you can grow if you want to, even if it is not in the phone bank. If you give respect you get it. Benefits good and you get them quick. Job security, it is there. If you want the job and want to keep it you can.

From Los Angeles, CA — 08/22/2008

I am still at Wells Fargo so of course my ratings should be high or I should move on. I find the division that I work in to be heaven on earth. I work from home, am very well paid and have a terrific opportunity to add value to the company. I have heard that working in a retail environment is challenging. No surprise since you have constant "in your face" customer contact (I would never do that to myself) and any time you deal with people all day it is very stressful. My career always had a very intentional and direct path and it was not toward sales. I can empathize with anyone that has to be in the front of the banking business. Very tough and unforgiving.

From Jefferson City, MO — 08/11/2008

I am a manager for Wells Fargo Financial and it has been a very good place for me since I was hired almost 7 years ago.

Pay - I started out at 30K/year+overtime and there was no bonus structure at that time. So that was it. It wasn't great but I needed a job out of college and I knew the company so I decided to go with it.
Here is how much I have made in the years to follow
1st year - 35K
2nd year - 54K
3rd year - 70K
4th year - 85K
5th year - 90K
6th year - 105K

I went up every year! It was a result of a lot of hard work. My salary basically went up at least 5% every single year and then my bonuses have been very good. It wasn't easy, but I worked hard and got it done. And I didn't cheat anybody. I have had so many customer "thank you's" it isn't even funny. I am 100% honest with all my customers and fully disclose all fees and terms. It's their decision if it is right for them. Not mine.

Respect - I wish I got a "good job" more often but who doesn't. For the most part, I am respected and my opinions seem to count. I demand respect from my employees and try to make them want my job.

Benefits - 2nd to none. Period.

Job Security - I have never been on any kind of written warning for performance in my 7 years with the company. So if you ask me, it's pretty good. The job isn't for everybody, what job is, but it has been my experience that most who don't make it just don't have the work ethic to make it. It takes a full 8 hours a day of solid work to meet your goals. You are going to be on the phone a lot. YOu are going to hear a lot of no's. If you can't handle that, you shouldnn't work for WFF. The yes's are the reasons why I work, and they are sometimes hard to find, but you will find them if you try.

Work/Life Balance - I rarely have to do anything in regards to work when I leave the office. The hours can sometimes be demanding but what job that pays well won't be demanding. I am a single guy with no kids right now, but I know of plenty of employees who do have families and seem to make it work just fine. And while I may be single, I do a lot of traveling and sporting events and I have plenty of time and money to do that!

Career Potential / Growth - As you can see from my earnings posted earlier, I have grown substantially. I was promoted 3 times in my first 30 months of employment.

Location - Offices all over the place

Co-Worker competence - Most of the managers are very competent people and so are the district managers. They have all say in the credit manager position and succeeded.

Work Environment - If you like working with for the most part a young work force, that is fun, energetic, goes out together, than this is the place for you.

In summary, if you think you have what it takes to be successful and you are willing to truly work 8 hour days, you will do fine with WFF. It isn't an easy job, if it was we would hire just anybody! We look to hire the best b/c we know it is going to take a 100% effort day in and day out to be successful.

From Dallas, TX — 06/02/2008

Wells fargo offers some nice upward mobility if you're a producer. My salary went from 32K to 52K in a matter of 3 years, but I do have a heavy sales background and this type of sales came rather easy to me. If you produce great numbers you can pretty much name your promotion or salary-within reason.

What everyone here seems to complain about is legit: if you happen to be in a slow branch, you essentially have to manufacture sales, whether the customer needs that particular product or not. Loans make the world go round in terms of your overall compensation(for Personal Bankers, PB2, Business Specialists and Private Bankers), and Wells is a super conservative lender, which makes that loan piece of the puzzle extremely hard to meet.

I feel like the sales pressure once you're not a PB or PB2 anymore is lower than other banks apply. The bonuses are also whack, and after busting some major ass you MAY get a 2000 bonus for the quarter, where for similar production at other banks, you'd get paid at least 5000. So you get less pressure but you also dont get paid as much.

Benefits are outstanding: 6% 401K match, 4 weeks of PTO for starters and a very good medical plan selection. Absolutely no complaints here.

From Minneapolis, MN — 03/10/2008

Good company to work for. Many people start in customer service then work their way up if you work hard, aren't afraid to sell your skills, and play ball.

From West Des Moines, IA — 11/12/2007

Im writing a review just because everyone else complained. I don't believe the negative feelings you have towards the job are about wells fargo at all- but the people you work with. Wells Fargo in general is a great company to work for- if you have the right job. They have awesome affordable benefit plans, $5000 a year tuition reimbursement, lots of vacation time even starting out (and im not some high-up manager, im in customer service). The people who work there really don't want to be there- and it brings the environment down a bit. other reviews are right- atleast in a lot of the departments you dont have to have much more then a high school diploma. So they might not be the brightest crayons in the box. But that is one good thing bout it- I didnt go to college. I started out making $12 an hour... have only been there 3 years and make $16 an hour... without even changing my job role. And there is a lot of room to advance- because wells fargo likes to promote within the company if possible. You have to just suck it up and not be so whiney or you will be overlooked for that next position! feel lucky that you barely graduated highschool but have a GOOD job. there are people who go to college and then end up right where we are in customer service- or in an operations dept- making the same amt we are. And atleast in west des moines the job security is pretty good. although with the mortgage industry so bad right now there's always that hint of nervousness.