Work at Wells Fargo — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Wells Fargo pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Wells Fargo

From Minneapolis, MN — 11/20/2009

Annual performance appraisals are not uniform throughout the organization, as a rating is no available for just met expectations. One either met some expectations, met all and exceeded some expectations, exceeded expectations, and significantly exceeded all expectations.

Severance packages were hospitable.

Benefits are nice: 25 personal days off, 6% 401K matching, 90 day vesting for tuition reimbursement.

Virtual management is challenging. Expect a virtual manager who you will rarely see face-to-face. Everything is done over the phone, web/phone conferencing, or email.

If you are manager, forget recognition from superiors.

Diversity is a core WF value. The majority of management in any of WF's organizations is predominantly white male or female.

Expect to work long hours, as team members are having to assume the responsibilities of 20% of team members being laid off in 2009. This creates a conflict with Work-Life Balance. Everybody has a laptop and can connect to the corporate network remotely to do work after hours.

From Omaha, NE — 11/20/2009

Good company to work at.

From Westlake, TX — 11/15/2009

I have worked for Wells Fargo for nearly four years. I have gone from hot to cold, hate it to love, many times.

I love: Pay, Benefits, People, Tools of trade, talking to customers and helping them to succeed, all the resources Wells Fargo puts into all we do.

I don't enjoy: Frequent Systems Issues, Customers yelling about overdrawing thier accounts (THEN DON"T USE YOUR ACCOUNT WITHOUT MONEY IT STUPID!), frequent changes to systems and goals with constantly moving targets, or aggressive sales goals that tend to lend to innapropriate sales, especially at the branches.

In the end I decided that there is NO perfect company. I work for one of the top ten safest banks IN THE WORLD (see global finance magazine report Sept 2008). They make great decisions, even if it takes a while to come around sometimes. They are lowering od fee structures soon. They really, truelly, DON"T want to ever have to charge an OD fee to anyone. Wells Fargo would honestly rather have customers succeed then always be overdrawn. They make far more money from clients who take out mortgages, and business loans and Investments than they do on od fees. They know that 80% of thier profit comesfrom 20% of thier clients, and they really do want to help the people in the 80% unprofitable catagory become the 20%.

Despite the things I don't like, If I went somewhere else I'd have to get used to a whole new set of things I don't like. I also had to take responsability to understand that if I didn't get promoted, I wasn't promotable. I have to earn a promotion not get one because I think I deserve it. It's my responsability to stand out in the interview process by being THAT much better than everyone that shows up for THAT position! Once I stopped whinning and took responsability for my own growth I did get promoted, and continue to be.

That's what I have to say about that.

From Bay Area, California — 10/24/2009

I worked as a teller for one quarter while I was in college. When I graduated they moved me up to a Customer Sales and Service Representative because I was able to work full time. I usually work more than 40 hours a week now, but only get paid for the 40. Job security for a CSSR is solid, the minimums are easy to reach, even in a slower branch, as long as you have at least average sales skills. But the pay stinks. Quarterly bonuses are a joke. A lot better pay than being a teller but not nearly enough for what we do. I get paid 33,500 a year + bonuses if i reach the goals, I guess its good to have a job in this economy but its pretty lame overall.
Most of my day deals with getting "solutions" another word for "sales." I work in a affluent neighborhood that is really a destination city so there aren't a lot of new customers in the branch. So I mostly have to sell secondary or even third or fourth accounts. This is usually done through trickery or flat out lying. For example, lets says someone has a preferred rate savings account. Instead of converting that to a High Yeild Savings account you would open the new High Yeild savings and tell the customer to keep the preferred rate open because it's a "grandfathered" product and if we convert it you can never get it again and its rate in the future might be a lot higher in the future! HAHAHA playing the savings account market, what a joke! But it produces sales. I pretty much get people in front of me, wait for them to say something and turn it into a sale. Someone says "online". You need an account for online purchases. "Travel" Travel account. "taxes" Tax account. "Shopping" shopping account.
A lot of my day also deals with closing the previously mentioned accounts. Customers come in and say "I dont understand why i have so many accounts" So then I go through a consolidate the accounts usually into the standard 1 checking and 1 savings account.
Managers are a big deal. If you have a good one, your life is so much better, if you have an incompetent one then your life sucks. My manager is the main reason I want to find another bank to work for. He has never been a banker, plays favorites, is incompetent and basically isn't someone I would ever have a beer with outside of work parties. Before him I had two of the best managers in the world! They were chill and we wanted to keep them happy. My current manager micro-manages too much. Once our district manager asked my manager how we were a top producing bank with him being so laid back. His response "I work with people who do their job well, I trust them, they won't let me down." But now, we have a new manager, and our sales have also slipped, mostly because of spite from the bankers. Oh well. What can you say?
Want to get into investments from retail?? Good luck. Wachovia has a huge pool of talent with people who already have their series 6 or 7, why would they waste the time, money and energy to train you? What makes you special? A guy from my branch was supposed to be promoted to PB2 but 1 weeek before he started training they cancelled the class and said it would start again at a future date but they didnt know what it was yet. Whatever.

So, I'm off to Chase. I know the sales pressure and suckering people into stuff they dont need will be there too. But I can do that. I was top CSSR in my district last quarter. But they'll help me get my series 6. After a year or two I'll go to a brokerage house. Hopefully the economy is better and I'll have that 6 and some experience. Good luck at Wells if your going there. Hope you have a good manager.

From WI — 10/23/2009

WFF was once a place where great leaders were molded. A place where a motivated new college grad could start a great career and make decent bucks doing so. I'm fairly certain those days have past.

I left WFF in 2005, when after 3 years of slamming people into ARM's, 40% Cat II Loans with 4 points, and variable NowLines w 18% spreads over prime, I just couldn't look myself in the mirror. It was fun while it lasted because I didn't know what I didn't know. Now, as an adult working in the financial industry, I have seen first hand how the loans I SOLD have caused financial ruin to those who were niave enough to trust my smiling face. How many times did I say "Don't worry, your credit will improve, I'll get you back in here in 12months and we'll rebook this thing at a fixed rate" only to never make good on that promise. What about all the people who opted to swap a fixed 30yr at 5% to a 3 yr ARM with points so high there was a 150bps swing between APR and interest rate (not that I ever quoted APR, or even sent RESPA for that matter). I sure hope I don't run into any of them in a dark alley...

This year I'll make $160, 000 working in the financial industry, not bad for a thirty year old. I am compensated very fairly for my work, and am fortunate enough to have found a job where I can put my clients interests ahead of mine and still make a good amount of money doing it. If you are reading this, still at WFF and wondering if there are other career choices out there, the answer is yes. Don't be afraid to jump ship, but also know that regardless of where you work, you must bust ass to obtain success, as it rarely falls in your lap.

From east coast — 10/10/2009

This job rocks. I have been here for 10 months and have already been promoted TWICE, received TWO raises, and earned bonus income. That's because, instead of making excuses about how this company sucks, I work hard and succeed. I hope people that review this site realize that the negative comments are so extreme, they could only be written by losers. If you are a WINNER, work here and thrive. If you are a loser, don't waste the company's time and resources.

From Des Moines, Ia — 09/28/2009

I have worked for Wells Fargo for 12 years. When I started with the company, I took the interview only as practice as it wasn't my initial career path, in my first interview the store manager who interviewed me had been with the company for 30 years. In this age (and even 12 years ago), loyalty towards an employer seemed rare. I believe many people entering the job force today (and 12 years ago) have a sense of entitlement and don't know what hard work is. I keep on asking why did he work for 30 years at Wells Fargo and was impressed with the answers. I admit that when I first started it was hard and I didnít like the job too much. I too paid my dues - worked long hours, had stressful goals, and had positions/departments that were eliminated. Many of my friends/coworkers left for other employment but those who have still are on the path of finding themselves (still job hop). If one reads the reviews on this site for all employers there appears to be more negative responses than positive. I genuinely believe that Senior management puts plans in place to follow Wells Fargo's vision and values. See them on the company website. Where I do believe there is leadership opportunity is with middle and entry level management. One of the challenges is just because someone is a great sales person; it does not mean they are a great leader. I believe I am fairly compensated, am respected, have reasonable benefits, job security [perform and Wells will do what it can to place you], can balance work and life, have an opportunity to grow, there are many locations nationwide (and some international), work with good people for the most part work in a positive work environment. There were times where I had a poor leader or a work environment where morale was low and toxic. In those situations I either worked hard to make a change in the environment and for the few where I could not I did what I could do take myself out of the environment. I would recommend Wells Fargo as an employer and state you get what you want out of any job. Be accountable for you own actions and if you don't like your situation - change it.

From West Des Moines, IA — 08/16/2009

I love Wells Fargo. I am always treated with respect. It is a great environment and great people. The only downfall is job security. I got laid off twice. Human Resources will drop you without question when directed to by upper authority. I keep going back though because of the people, benefits, and atmosphere. There is never a question in case of family emergency. PTO, medical, dental, vision, and disability benefits are great too.

From CA — 08/12/2009

Working at a Wells Fargo call center isn't too bad. With my income there I can afford all living expenses for my family of 4. I have full medical/dental/vision coverage and as long as you try to do what is asked of you (a 24% referral rate isn't that hard to get) you will bonus every quarter. My bonuses have averaged $1,500 over each quarter over the last 5 years - and that is just for doing my normal, everyday job. Another good aspect of the work is that Wells Fargo offers tuition reimbursement for a variety of fields. You can get educated for free and in this economy, that is a huge plus!
On the other end of benefits though, if you fall in your numbers, you will get coached until you are ready to beat yourself like a hammer. Job growth is very possible if you are open with your supervisor and actually work towards your goal. They don't reward laziness here, and why should they? Wells Fargo pays too well to just advance anyone - you have to prove you have the drive and skill to move upwards in the company. Sounds pretty real world doesn't it?
All in all, Wells Fargo is a decent company to work for if you care about your job performance. No, you don't push credit cards on little old ladies. If you do, you are hurting your own numbers and don't know how to refer. Find something that actually helps people succeed financially and you will fund yourself doing great in the job.

From Fargo — 08/05/2009

Wells Fargo motto "Do what is right for the customer"....well if you do that you won't hit your ridiculous sales goals...so instead you sell a debit card to a 90 year old lady or sign some one up for loan, when they can go across the street and get half the interest rate. I would say as team members of Wells Fargo we only do what's right for the customer 50% of the time. With the merger to Wachovia - Wells Fargo has become the EVIL CORPORATION of the banking industry.

If you bank there already LEAVE...if you don't bank there...DON'T!!!