Working at Wells Fargo — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Wells Fargo pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Wells Fargo

From Waterloo, IA — 08/23/2010

So, I have worked for Wells Fargo for almost five years now. No, it is not all roses and the job is extremely stressful. Sales pressure is always on, whether you are doing great or doing poorly. Micromanagement is part of the job as well. Chances of promotions are there. If you work hard, are good at sales, this is a job for you. Consider yourself a salesperson.

However, whenever I need to get off work early or come in late, I can do that. Starting out the job with four weeks of vacation, plus one more week at year 3. Health insurance is awesome, as well as 6% 401k match. Bonuses are little harder to achieve, but the salary is very comparable to financials in the area. Plenty of holidays, no Sundays and Saturdays only from 8:30 to 2:00, and that is once a month.

My motto is, if you can make it at Wells Fargo, you can make it anywhere Overall, I am satisfied, but before you start working for this company, make sure you are willing to put in the work.

From michigan — 07/11/2010

Career Potential/Growth 4
Location 2
Co-worker Competence 2
Work Environment -1
My job at WFB started out good. Moved up quickly, made sales goals and earned a trip to Chicago. If you have time look at the job postings in Michigan, They have currently wiped out nearly 1/2 of the staff. An internal investigation that resulted in WALK IN vs WALK OVER, Conference calls 2 to 3 times per day. They want you to COACH tellers, but what they really mean is micromanage. You are constantly under the microscope, and when you are preforming well you are encouraged to SHARE with others your plan. I have seen many unethical practices. Do they do it for themselves or the customer. They want you to BUY in to the sales plan, and then you can sell it to the customers. Most branches do not have High Value customers. Customers are average Joes just trying to pay the bills. Overdraft fees are terrible, and most end up closing accounts due to charged off accounts. No one can help you with the fees. Overdraft protection is the answer. The problem is they want you to open a savings account with a transfer each month which only confuses the customer. I was fired because I recieved credit for a walk in, not a walk over, there is a difference. Apparently a good conversation doesn't mean anything. No job is safe at WFB. I am now a happier person and have time to spend with my family. I worked 75% of the Saturdays. Was asked to not log my OT, I could leave early a different day when it was slower. This company will pound you to the ground. For over achievers its a great place to work, but beware, they will be watching you!! Just when you think you are doing a great job, another phone conference.
In training they teach you how not to erode ones self esteem, but when your in the job role, beware.
The branch I worked for was in a small community, and the customers are angry that 4 tellers, and 1 service manager were let go over sales. 99%SOCR, 92% WOW, ....WTF is going on with this picture???
I was buring out fast, I have worked retail before, and remember that WFB is a retail store, not a branch bank. So what does that tell you.
BEWARE....If you like to someone to build you up, only to knock you back down, apply today because this is the job for you. They don't care about your family life, sick kids, dying mother, or when you want to take your vacation. I would rather work shovel pig S**T, than work for WFB.

From USA — 06/12/2010

First of all, I recently made a job change within Wells Fargo, however now I would like to comment on my 4.5 years being a banker in a branch. Being a personal banker is very "service to sales" oriented. Wells has a sales culture that really focuses on the numbers. Some people can't handle this. Even though there is pressure everyday, you have to learn to just focus on the job and not what others are doing. It seems that on every team, there are a few bad apples that will try to suck you into their negative mindframe. This will only hurt you. The numbers are high, but doable. Some days are great, other days you will end up with a big goose egg. You will feel extremely high one day and low the next. You need to learn to not take the great, or terrible days personal.

Some factors will effect your overall success. Having a good manager that doesn't micro manage all the time will help. If your manager shows confidence in you and trusts your judgement, that helps too. There will be many many times when you have to make a decision. It is very nice if you don't have to run everything by your manager before hand. This is something that you must earn though. You may get a manager who thinks they are going to shoot straight to the top. The only way they can do this is by applying great pressure on you. Be careful about this. I suggest talking with your manager if you have a problem, but don't be a wimp and start crying about the numbers. This will only hurt you.

It is true that people become bankers from all walks of life, but everyone brings a different viewpoint to the table. Because we serve diverse communities, bankers tend to be diverse as well. Diversity is something that is an asset on the banker side. Knowing another language can help you.

One of the main factors which will determine your success will be how you deal with people. You will be working directly with the community in which you are placed. Every community is different. The types off sales you get will be influenced on the location of your branch. In older communities with lots of elderly, you will do alot of CD's, investment referrals. In some city type neighborhoods, expect to open alot of checking and savings accounts.

Well, was a Personal Banker 1 for about a year or so, then became a personal banker 2. I truely looked at the good things everyday. You will be tested by your managers, peers and customers everyday. I truely enjoyed the challange. Wells Fargo is a good company to work for. Stay strong, keep your head up, and always have integrity in everything that you do and you will be a success.

From Maryland — 04/11/2010

I too currently am trying to escape WF. After the market took a turn for the worse around 2007-08, a majority of all the "good" aspects that WF had left were lost too. Work/life balance doesn't exist, micromanagement has reached an all time high (even including the non-sales jobs), and raises are about non-existent. Almost everyone I work with is overworked and tired, and the remaining sub par managers don't think twice to continue to delegate their few assigned tasks your way - on top of your current extreme workload, due to the high level of previous layoffs. WF has lucked out with the economy being so bad, otherwise I guarantee their turnover rate would be through the roof. All the other employees I know are currently looking for other jobs. I predict within the next 5 to 10 years the company will loose most of their good quality workers. Overall, I'm thankful I made this realization now so that I can continue to plan my move out of this company asap.

From FL — 03/30/2010

This is a sales position. Period. The economy is bad and the company is going through a merger. You need thick skin for this position. You WILL be pushed! There are unreasonable goal expectations on a regional level. Honestly, I ignore them. They are ridiculous and everyone knows it. Just smile & nod. Yes, there are outbound calls. If you build your relationships with your existing customers, you won't have as many cold calls - they will think of you first when they need something and also will refer people to you. There are sales practices that are suggested that I do not agree with... therefore, I do not employ them. My job is ultimately to do what is in the best interest of the customer. I can hit my numbers without questionable "best practices". My starting base salary was $35k. I can easily make another $10k in bonuses. There are 5 categories and you must meet 3 of them - however you need to average 100% in all. Many complain about the loans, but approved credit cards are included in the loan category for bonuses. The first tier of the bonus is NOT difficult to achieve. You have to look for opportunities with EVERY customer - I get solutions out of about 90% of the customers that pass through my office. And those solutions are always legitimate & ethical. Did they only come in for an address change? Sure, but that doesn't make the interaction unethical or make me a product pusher. I simply presented other opportunities that the customer was not aware of and could benefit from. I have open communication with my store manager and district manager. There is no bullshit between us. I can perform my job with limited supervision and micro-managing. I do work more than 40 hours a week. Even on my days off, I take the time to turn an interaction into a sales opportunity. It only takes a minute to hand someone your card and ask where they do their banking. I enjoy my job and my customers very much. One of my biggest complaints is listening to the poison and negativity that some of my co-workers spew. I am grateful to have a job that pays $50k and not afraid of a little hard work.

From CA- central/south cost — 03/07/2010

I went on here to actually look at another company, and went to WFF to kind of check the sites validity...

First of all, I'm not a manager. I'm a Senior Credit Manager, which is 2 positions below the manager. Basically a glorified sales rep.

The job has its pros and cons.

CONS: base pay is about 38K a year, and commission is very difficult to get. the VCP system is not only unit tiered, it's based on loan volume too. Honestly, they need to cut some of the fat out of other areas of the company and start paying their sales professionals like PROFESSIONALS.

Having said that, the job is pretty fair. I work in the Gaydos Region in CA, my RM, DM, and Manager are all very bright and competent. They pay is about in par with the work, but again the need to ease up on the VCP guidelines a bit. 97% of the company is probably make base pay, just like they like it...

Benefits and 401K matching are actually very good, and overall its a good company. I think a lot of the negatives on here are probably just whiners. If you don't like it, get out. Promotion is no cake walk, but it is fair: you sell more, you get promoted. I haven't seen favoritism play too strong of a role here.

Pretty professional and fun environment.

From West lake, tx — 02/23/2010

Everyjob has it's up and downs. I personally think wells is not a bad place to work. Moving up in the company is very easy. You get a bonus every quarter I've worked there for a year now and never have gotten anythng less than 1300. With any job as long as you work hard and don't slack off you will move up .

From alabama — 02/19/2010

Great job and Great company if you can "perform"...
Winning is a habit, unfortanetely so is Loosing!
Sometimes, WElls FArgo hires loosers and they "vent"!

From Minnesota — 02/10/2010

from a departmental experience. overall a fair to good rating. Lacked supervisor and management knowledge and leadership at times that had negative impact.

From Central Valley — 11/24/2009

I have worked for the company for 2 and a half years now. I really think that your experience with working at Wells Fargo has a lot to do with your manager. My manager is positive and does not apply too much pressure for sales especially when the branch as a whole is doing a good job. They expect a lot out of you and it is hard work to be in customer service but then again it is also very rewarding to help my customers succeed financially.