Work at Walgreens — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Walgreens pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Walgreens

From Indiana — 01/27/2010

Pay is quite good for retail unless you stay in the entry position and never move up. I started at $6 per hour and last year I made over $50K. I've worked here for 7 years and I got the minimum bonus because my store doesn't make a big profit - you could make a lot more in a profitable store. I'm an EXA and actually get paid pretty decently, though you wouldn't want to stay in the position long due to the hours.

MGTs got a raw deal with the pay cuts without warning, but they didn't lay off anyone, so that is a bonus in this economy. Walgreens also did the right thing by cutting corporate first - many office people were laid off and even VPs and DMs were demoted/laid off and no one was laid off at the store level. I am afraid that promotions will be tough for a while, but that is not unique to Walgreens.

Benefits are great when you consider profit sharing which is free money. Most won't consider this a benefit because you can't touch the money until you retire - no long term perspective. Do they know that Walgreens matched every $1 you put in with $2.90 last year? I just started a year and a half ago and I now have over $9K and only put in like $3500. Healthcare isn't cheap, but it isn't ridiculous either.

Worker competence is pretty bad, but people think they should be paid well because they show up to work...it shouldn't be a surprise that entry level cashiers are paid around the poverty line. It isn't incredibly hard to get moved up because you can look good rather easily - though management and up will be difficult in the short term. Respect hasn't been a problem for me. If you work hard, you look great against everyone else who doesn't care - just don't start a feud with managers. There are bad managers, but there are bad people in the world. Hopefully you don't get one, but Walgreens does investigate mgmt if you make a complaint to the hotline. I've made one myself and took down an MGT when I was a service clerk and I've seen store managers fired when they deserved it for manipulating time sheets, not giving breaks, hostile work environment, etc.

On the negative side, work/life balance is definately a weakness. This is more of a retail problem than a Walgreens problem though. As an EXA, you are salaried and so your hours are long. The bonus check helps make up for it a little bit - the minimum is $3600/year. For a while, my manager was trying to schedule me 55 hours a week, but the DM put an end to it. I work 45-50 hours now depending on what the store needs but I have put in 60 hours when needed. December is a whole different story though... You will work different hours, weekends, holidays, etc but you should know that going in. I wouldn't stay in the EXA positon for long without a promotion, but the job isn't designed to be long term. Once you get to store manager, you work 4 mornings, 1 night, 2 4 hour Saturdays/month so its not bad at all.

From South Carolina — 12/29/2009

I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with Walgreens. I currently work with a great team in the district office. I started as a front end clerk at Eckerd, started my pharmacy career there,. I then joined Walgreens in 2003 as a technician. I worked hard, was promoted to District Pharmacy Trainer, to now a new role as an Operations Trainer. There are many opportunities for those that want them, and are willing to work hard for them. I plan to stay with Walgreens until I retire, which will be at least 35 more years.

From Milwaukee, WI — 11/17/2009

I've worked for Walgreens for 12 years and I hope to work here all of my career. This company helped pay some of my tuition when I was in school. There has always been someone in management with concern for me and my future. They humbly offered me training for new management and help me to do my job. Sure, there are some managers that are not good at their job and it was a drain to work for them. But, I've stuck through it during the hard times. It seems Walgreens has a knack for knowing who the bad managers are and not promoting them further. Hopefully this will continue to be the case. I like Walgreens' innovation and business decisions in these tough economic times. They understand and try to be fair to all.

From Oregon — 09/27/2009

I was a photo technician for 1 year. I worked hard and treated my coworkers with respect and I got treated well and got the hours I wanted. The bad workers (lazy, bad attitude) were weeded out eventually where I worked, and the good workers stayed on. We worked holidays but scheduling days off was easy if managers had proper notice ahead of time. Most customers were nice, a few werent. Training wasnt thorough, but managers and help center were helpful. Photo and cashier is a good job for a student who works part time, but not so good for supporting a family because the pay is just above minimum wage. If you work in photo, cosmetics, or as a cashier, you wont bring home a decent paycheck. I couldnt pay the bills as a photo tech and I didnt want to be a retail manager or work in pharmacy, so I quit Walgreens.

From Chicago, IL — 09/23/2009

I really enjoy going to work. Most of the managers are will nice and fun to work with.

From NC — 09/16/2009

I actually love my job at Walgreens. I graduated from college with a Bachelor's in Film in '04, couldn't find a job, and after a year of searching stumbled upon Walgreens and got a position as an MGT. It's obviously not something I had thought of pursuing while I was in school, but it's fairly easy work and it pays the bills.

Pay: Pretty decent for a recent college grad, started out at 15.90 when I was hired. They limit the hours to no more than 40 a week, which has its ups and downs. No overtime=no extra pay, but you're also not having to work yourself to death. I get two days off every week, like any other 5-day a week job, and they rotate the schedule at my store so the MGTs and EXAs usually get one or two weekends off a month.

Respect: I have never had an issue with other employees or management as far as not being respected. My store manager is great, he's very patient as far as making sure I understand anything I'm not sure how to do. My employees are all older than I am and have been there longer, but they respect me and are always willing to help me if I'm not familiar with something, as I've only been there a few months.

Benefits: Are ok, but I've paid a lot less with a lot more coverage with other jobs.

Job Security: Have been told that you'd have to mess up pretty bad to get fired. If the store gets slow or a new store opens, they'll just move you around. With so many Walgreens in operation and so many more being set to open, I think it'd be almost impossible to get laid off.

Work/Life Balance: It's not bad, it's more or less like any other job working 5 days and 40 hours a week. The only downside is working holidays, but at least they pay you double-time for it. There is one other MGT and an EXA at my store, so I usually get every third weekend off. I usually work nights from 3-10:30 and actually prefer it- I don't have to open at the crack of dawn and I can still go out afterwards if I want! :)

All in all I'd definitely recommend it for anyone that's thinking about it. There's a lot of learning involved, I've been there 3 months and am still learning new things every day, but the work isn't hard, it pays well, and you're also gaining valuable management experience should you choose a different path down the road.

From North Lauderdale, FL — 09/15/2009

I've worked for walgreens going on 3 years now. I first came to the company and was hired as a Photo Tech, 2 months later i was promoted, and given a raise from $7.75 to $9.75 because i worked harder than anyone else in the store. and had proven myself. i continued on my track having any EXA or Ast Mgt Show me whatever i didnt know. Went up to my manager and told him i wanted to be an Assistant Manager. after my 1 year mark with walgreens, i was promoted to assistant manager. $16.50+ an hour. No life. nothing but walgreens, no college degree. pretty much any monkey can do this job you just have to be able to handle the work load and responsibility. as long as your money is good and you can learn pharmacy quick. You will do good in this company.

From Fort Worth Texas — 09/04/2009

I have been with Walgreens for 5 years. I started as a photo tech, then sims and now mgt. I am pissed at the way the company is turning out to be. But I still infact enjoy my job. I work overnights, and still have a life and family. I understand walgreens feels like they want you to have no life, but it because thats how you have portrayed it. I do not care for my store manager, but i have been in several stores including one in lousiana and not all store managers are the same. I have more of a problem with the 2 women store managers I have had, but not the 3 men managers. I have a list that needs to be done nightly, and when I dont get it done due to factors beyond my control I am upfront with the morning manager and and so forth, no problems yet, and I have been doing it this way for a few months. i still like walgreens.

From Madison, AL — 09/02/2009

I believe walgreens overall is a good company to work for.

From Highlands Ranch, Colorado — 07/07/2009

I have worked for Walgreens for almost 4 years now. I started out as a service clerk, worked my way into the photo department, got promoted to the sims coordinator. And now there's all this talk about the sims coordinator position being changed to a "store leader". Basically you do everything you did before PLUS what an assistant manager does, with only a dollar raise. If I accept the position I will be making $12.00 an hour, assistant managers in my area start off at $15.75. I have worked 8-4:30pm hours everyday and actually enjoyed my job. Now, I have to close once a week, get to open once a week, and my other 3 days I have to work 10-6:30pm, the one thing I loved most about my job was the amazing hours I had. I have worked hard for this company, and I can say that I actually like(d) Walgreens. Do they think we are stupid or something? That we wouldn't notice we're being shafted? I love learning knew things, and a dollar raise is better than nothing, but when I think about the situation, I can see a room full of businessmen sitting at a table saying... "Well.. lets make this person do exactly what a manager does, but not pay them for it! It's genious!" ... I think I have now given up on Walgreens. I am actually looking for a new job right at this moment. I know the economy is bad, but for employees that have worked hard for years.. come on... Take a little bit of the hundred thousand dollars you make a year and give it to some people that more than likely need it more and deserve it more.