Working at Walgreens — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Walgreens pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Walgreens

From fayetteville, nc — 10/19/2010

Pay- I was a Certified Pharmacy Technician started out at $10.25/hr. That was in 2007.

Respect- I always felt Important

Benefits- Insurance, 401k, Profit Sharing, Stock, Discounts, what more could I want

Job Security- never felt my job was threatened

Work Life/Balance- Not a 9-5 position but not many jobs are anymore

Career potential- I saw many people promoted who deserved it

Location- I worked 3 minutes from my house

Co-worker competence- you get the good with the bad but it was mostly good

Work Environment- hectic but thats how I like it

From Michigan — 09/20/2010

I have worked for Walgreens for over two years as a Photo Specialist and for the most part I have enjoyed my position. It honestly depends on the Assistant Managers, Executive Assistant, and Manager. If they are nice, hardworking, fun people then working there will not be bad, but if you work for jerks... then you'll hate it.

I was fortunate to work for people I really liked, they became like family.

I left Walgreens because they could not promote me to Assistant Manager... not that my Manager didn't want to... there was just no position open and I didn't want to wait around. I don't blame them... almost all retail establishments are the same way.

The pay wasn't horrible. You work an average of 8 hours a day. Anything over 10 hours a day is overtime and anything over 40 a week is overtime but it's rare for you to work overtime, at least in the store I worked at. Walgreens is open every single day of the year, don't forget that. If you have a family and want holidays off then don't work here! Everyone has to work at least some holidays!!

Working in a photo lab was really fun. I loved the customers and most of my co-workers!

Honestly I would recommend this company to anyone needing a job! Yes you may hate it, yes you may work with idiots, yes you might get stressed out: And yes you might need to kiss someones butt, but if you find a job where none of that happens, please let me know! lol It really wasn't a bad place to work and I would have stayed if they had a position open.

From Beckley, WV — 07/06/2010

Alot of changing/restructuring going job security is iffy. Co-workers competence is low because it is a newer store and newer employees

From Plainfield, NJ — 06/10/2010

I'm a service clerk working in a relatively new Walgreens store. I am in high school and this is my first job. I honestly enjoy going to work for Walgreens. They pay me 8 dollars an hour which is really generous considering I have no previous work experience (other than my volunteer work) and most other retail stores were going to give me an amount closer to minimum wage. Customers tend to be annoying but I understand this is retail. The people on my level could be more motivated and nicer, but management in my store is really flexible and reasonable. My store manager is a great guy and he was even willing to offer me fewer hours (upon my request) when I was getting a lot of school work. I must say though, that most of the managers I deal with did not originate with Walgreens. They used to work for the now bankrupt chain Drug Fair that Walgreens recently acquired. This may be why my managers are better and more competent than the managers I've read about. I won't be staying in the company much longer as I will be attending college further away, but from my part-time experience here, I would recommend this company to others.

From Gainesville, Fl — 04/10/2010

Worked there for about 5 years, at 2 different stores. If the employee works hard then things lean in your favor

From WI — 04/04/2010

As a store manager, it is difficult to please everyone. We have 30 people trying to get their needs met while we try to make enough in sales to keep everyone's job. We work long hours (and mind you only get paid for 44 of them). We are HR, Payroll, customer service, accounting, etc. All in all I really like the job. I get a bit resentful when I have to spend Saturday mornings away from my family when I already worked Monday-Friday. We have a lot on our plates - it is a stressful job at times and we are everything to everyone. Imagine getting pulled the way you do by customers and then add 30 employees who you care about pulling you in other directions. You have to pick your battles. Trust me, we do care about our employees.

From Florida — 04/03/2010

I have been working for Walgreens for over 2 years now and I have to say that it is a good company to work for. It also depends on who you work for as well but overall if ou work hard and have a will you will get recognized. It was even easier before and I hear a lot of people complaining about last 2 years but the economy as a whole has went downhill in last 2 years so its expectable to have changes. One thing about Walgreens is that the more you move up the less you work but responsabilities are bigger. If you can get to Store Manager then you are golden. Assistant Managers make more than most Asst Mgrs in other companies. All overall if you are willing to put in sweat and dedication you will get promoted. You just have to ask for it and prove yourself.

From ca — 04/01/2010

awesome!
Very great company to work for

From Minnesota — 02/24/2010

My review of Walgreens is as follows:

I am currently an MGT (Assistant Manager)

Pay (2): Pay is very good, if you are SINGLE. If you have a family, you will mostly likely struggle to survive to provide. Walgreens used to offer it's MGTs 4 hours of OT per week, but took it away on 2 days notice. I haven't been able to recover. Involuntary 15% paycut for MGTs. No other department was affected by this, and no other members of management were either.

Respect (2): Walgreens is very good at respecting all of their people. Never had an issue here.

Benefits (3): Walgreens has pretty good benefits. Dental is very good, most services are covered. 3 different options with 2 different companies available for health insurance. Options are always good!

Job Security (0): I put this as a 1 because of all the changes Walgreens is undergoing. They recently announced their plan to take one MGT out of every store, and created a new keyholder position for a cheaper alternative to management.

Work/Life Balance (-2): Simply put, this is retail. I have noticed as of late that Walgreens seems to discourage their employees from starting families, but maybe this is better since you'd never get to see them anyways....

Career Potential/Growth (-1): The opportunites are definitely there. You have to know people to get them. I have been a hard working MGT for 4 years, very deserving of the ever elusive EXA position, and have been turned down 5 times because of district switches and not knowing the DM well enough.... Walgreens also recently announced it's plans to slow growth, meaning less chances for EXAs to get promoted to Store Manager....

Location (1): This is hard to rate just because depending on where you live, you'll probably have a little commute no matter what. In a lot of cases though, you do have some say in where you go and how far you have to drive. In a lot of districts, the DMs try really hard to put their MGTs and EXAs close to where they actually live....

Co-Worker Competence (2): I have found most of my co-workers to be quite competent and smart and have a decent idea of what they are doing. As with most jobs, you do get the occasional person who has no idea, but that's expected.

Work Environment (3): Walgreens is a small store, which makes things better. Customers are a lot friendlier, employees are easier to deal with.

From Arvada, Colorado — 02/18/2010

I have worked for Walgreens for 7 years now and I love my job I started in photo them moved up, I am currently an Store Team Lead and like it just fine. I have a Store Manager who works with her employees and tries to give as much as possible. I am thankful for my job and have been working retail for quite some time. You can move up in this company if you are a hard worker, they do see it. My district manager is a very nice person, whenever she comes in our store she talks to you as if she worked with you on a daily basis. Thumbs up to Walgreens.