Work at Wal-Mart — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Wal-Mart pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Wal-Mart

From HEMET, CA — 04/19/2010

working for wal-mart 18 years ago was great. sam is not around anymore and the walton family doesn't care about us bottom feeeders. i have 18 years in this place and my 40 hour a week job is now 8-11 hours a week.

From Not telling — 04/13/2010

Its an okay company I mean im only 21 I dont plan on having this job forever. The way I look at it is if you're over 40 and wearing a name tag then theres something wrong personally, in my opinion. I plan to go to college and major in something this year.

From Sevierville, TN — 04/13/2010

I work at the Wal-Mart in Sevierville, TN, which is a MAJOR tourist trap (being near Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge). It's constantly packed. Plus we're currently going through a remodel, which has made our store look amazing. I love my coworkers, and my management, but Wal-Mart is the worst placed on earth to work! Almost everyone hates to shop at Wal-Mart, so they take it out on you. I've been called the worst things while working there. The pay is amazing (atleast at my store), which is why you say to yourself "I hate this job, but the pay is so good...I'll just stay here, it's hard to find another job anyway" People get stuck in this job and end up being there for years. I do not recommend working for Wal-Mart. And it's not Sam Walton's fault for how Wal-Mart has turned out to be. If he were still alive, it wouldn't be as bad as it is.

From Nebraska — 04/06/2010

I personally LOVE working at wal-mart. At first it was just a job, I figured I wouldn't mind it either way, but I have grown to love it. They are so incredibly nice and flexible with you. It's nice to work with 400 other people! I was working another job, and was going to try to do both at the same time, even though I hated my other job. I told the manager, and she seemed to feel bad. She asked why I stayed there, and when I told her my because of my bills, she asked what I'd have to do to quit my other job. I told her at least 30 hours at wal-mart. She had given me my schedule earlier that night, and then when I showed up for work on my first day, I had a completely different schedule, with 30 hours. The days were the same, but instead of coming in at 5, I was coming in at 1, or 2. Instead of leaving at 9, I was leaving at 10 or 11. I was incredible grateful, she had basically just altered my schedule so I wouldn't have to go back to my other job. Which I didn't do.

It really is an awesome place to work, they are nice, they really strive to make sure you aren't working too hard, they have paid breaks, and if you help a customer on this break, they compensate you.

In addition to all of this, you get great benefits. Part timers can also get health insurance after a certain point. In 90 days you get a discount at wal-mart, 10%, but it's something. Verizon customers get 20% off their bill, even existing customers. You can opt to have them take out 1.50 out of each pay check, and that gets you a sam's club membership. Saves about 7 dollars for the whole year as opposed to if you went in and got one as a non-employee. If you get fired, sam's honors the money you put into it, and just sends you the balance, rather than canceling it and expecting you to pay for a new one at the full price. You also have flexibility with your job. If you can't work, you simply call in as soon as you know. You get up to 8 absences in a 6 month period. On the 8th one, you are terminated, which is amazingly leinient. And, they do not require a doctor's note, just a call. Each one rolls over, so in the event you are on your 7th one, if one of your previous absences was 6 months ago and it rolls over.... it takes you back down to 6. If you are late, or leave early, they consider that 1/3 of an absence. So theoretically, you could be late 24 times before getting fired. Now where else can you do that?

Also after 6 months, you can apply for management, transfer to a new area, or to a new store. You are eligible to transfer before 6 months in the even of extenuating circumstances. i.e. family is moving... that sort of thing.

From New Hampshire — 04/02/2010

I never applied for a job at wal-mart. I was a contractor there cleaning the floors until they did away with that and decided to do maintenance in house. They asked me if I would work for them. I wasn't going to accept the job because I thought it would be comparable to flipping burgers (pay wise) or something like that. I am glad I accepted that job. Everyone on my crew makes a liveable wage of $14 - $18/hr. Management is hard on the stockers but pretty much lraves us alone. I will die there!!!

From LOUISIANA — 03/29/2010

OK company to work for. Nice little job for hrs given. Scorecard scheduling understaffs some depts though.

From Texas — 03/22/2010

Yesterday was my last day at WalMart; I worked there part-time for a year. Started as a Sales Assoc. in Outdoor Living (garden), promoted to Customer Service Supervisor after 90 days. My experience working at WalMart was a very mixed bag.

The least favorable areas for me were Benefits (none - I was part-time), Work/Life Balance (unless you limit your availability drastically, your schedule is very, very irregular), and Pay (WalMart pay simply isn't sufficient for the work expectations).

The most favorable areas for me were Job Security (I could have kept my job for as long as I wanted), Career Potential/Growth (I could easily have garnered more promotions if I'd been willing to change locations), and Location (WalMart was near my home).

I semi-retired from a management job in 2003. I've worked a wide variety of part-time & temporary jobs since then to pay for my retirement travel. WalMart was no better or worse than most of them.

As with any job, working at WalMart has its share of frustrations: some poor managers, some incompetent or difficult coworkers, some tasks you hate to perform, and above all - some very challenging customers.

In general, WalMart was about what I expected. The one aspect of WalMart I found somewhat shocking is that apparently, company leaders choose not to actively reward and positively encourage productivity or recognize stellar performance among the associates. No merit raises, no contests, no shout-outs at meetings. It's all very Marxist in that all workers must be treated equally at all times. Further, poor performance and bad behavior are treated rather mildly with euphemistic activities like "Coaching" and "Decision Days", if addressed at all. The only truly weighty personnel topic is if an associate complains about a manager - at times, it's almost as if the inmates are running the asylum! Given that
they don't get as much positive reinforcement as they deserve, and that there are little to no consequences for poor performance, I would say that most WalMart employees are above-average in competence.

From IA — 03/22/2010

I've worked for Target and for WalMart, Target in most ways is FAR better. Working at Walmart now for appx 1 1/2 years, I work in Professional Services within the store and its so different from the Sales Floor or other areas of the store. I have a great manager who treats us fairly and helps us learn as much as we can and leads you towards your goals and management if desired. My store manager, well lets just say he comes off as a big jerk, cant even get my name right when I wear a badge clear as day.

The rest of management I would say for me about 85% are very good, respectable and give everyone the respect they have earned. As for Associates, it really sucks because a portion of them are horrible and am surprised that they have or still have jobs there. No hellos, no good mornings no nothing, poor attitudes etc you get the picture. Another group wont even look at you even when you address them first they just walk by like you never said a word. A very very small group is friendly and polite, other than this small group of good employees the rest are rude loud abnoxious and ignorant.

I have worked with other managers from other stores in my field and understand how lucky I am to be where I am at and hope that wont change anytime soon. If it does I will likely have to find another job because I know a good group is so hard to find.

Dont get me wrong, I thank them for my job and take pride in my work but I dont like saying that I work for WalMart. The quality of the people that work there and the majority of the people that shop in there makes me feel the way i do.

From Washington, Pennsylvania — 03/18/2010

PAY: The starting rate at our store is $8/hour I believe. It might be $8.50. Regardless, that is for the lowest pay grade, which would be cart pushers (Code 13's) and the maintenance crew, I think. Each pay grade above that obviously earns more money. While it might not be enough to live off of starting out, if you're a college student, someone young living at home with your parents, or need a supplemental income, it's pretty decent. Also, as long as you do your job, you're pretty much guaranteed a $.40/hour raise at the end of your 90 day probationary period, and each year at your yearly performance evaluation. Also, if you go above and beyond, you can get $.50 or $.60/hour. This happens every year, which gives the potential of a decent paycheck considering the workload.

RESPECT: As far as I'm concerned, my management team has treated me with utmost respect. Sometimes they may be having a bad day, and might say something that can be taken the wrong way, but that happens to everyone sometime or another. As long as you do your job in my store, your treated well.

BENEFITS: I can't say too much here. I just applied for benefits this year. However, from what I have seen about them so far, they work well enough for me. I don't get sick too often, and my benefits allow me to see a doctor a couple times a year. Most of my insurance is to cover catastrophes, death, and short/long term disability. It only takes about $30 a pay to cover me, as well. I have health, vision, and dental as well.

JOB SECURITY: Do your job, and you'll be fine. Also, no matter how bad the economy gets, people need food and other consumables, which are sold at Walmart with usually lower prices. So, unless you find a Walmart that is in the middle of nowhere that no one goes to, your store probably won't close. Hours may be cut in certain departments, but in our store at least, management usually lets you get your hours back assuming another department has hours they aren't using.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE: It gets a little hairy here, and it really depends on your management team. In my experience, management has been very good about working around my college schedule while I was in school, and they really don't seem to mind approving days off as long as they're given enough notice to cover your absence (three weeks in advance is the minimum, but earlier is generally better), and if other people in your department haven't requested the same days off earlier than you did.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH: I have to say, if you take your job seriously, learn why it is you need to do what they have you do, and show interest in learning more, they promote pretty fairly. I don't have a degree, and don't even have enough college credits to make a difference, but I've received a promotion to Department Manager, and have been interviewed for another promotion as well. Also, if you have either 2 years of college credits, or a year of retail plus a year of supervisory experience, you can apply for the management training program to become an Assistant Manager at any store in the country. And, if you apply to a far away store and get a job as an Assistant or higher, Walmart will help move you there. Pretty nice if you ask me.

LOCATION: Walmarts are EVERYWHERE. End of story.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE: Well... As with just about any retail company, you will have people who take their job seriously, do their work, help others, and are just generally nice to be around. You will also have people who get distracted easily, talk more than work, take extended breaks, work slowly, etc. Fortunately, I've run into more decent than bad, though.

WORK ENVIRONMENT: I can't complain too much here. Our store is currently going through a remodel, so it's hectic, but most associates are doing what they can to keep things safe for everyone else. The store is generally clean, comfortable temperature, customers can be... irritating, but it's retail. You'll have that. The people I work with are quite nice, though. Very friendly, with a few exceptions.

From Garland, TX — 03/12/2010

It's good to know that people can afford to shop at Wal-Mart and live a decent life. I would love to see a Made in the U.S.A. 2.0 campaign. I think it's coming full circle. Thanks Wal-Mart!