Working at Wal-Mart — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Wal-Mart pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Wal-Mart

From Louisville, Ohio — 09/06/2010

I had a great time working at Wal-Mart but I think it was mostly due to the people I worked with. The people in my department made it a really fun place to work but If they weren't there, it wouldn't have been as worth while. The management definitely has some problems because one manager would tell us one thing and another would tell us a completely other thing. But benefits and pay were OK. Altogether an OK place to work if you are looking for a part-time job - not a career.

From colorado — 08/27/2010

PAY: the pay at walmart isn't that great if you are just starting out. even if you are certified in a particular field, you do NOT get compensated for your knowledge. they have had a private company come in and dictate wa pay scale for their positions, and they pretty much stick to it.
RESPECT: the company makes it a value to value their employees, but some management does not practice this value, while others do...so it all comes down to who your manager is and their individual values as a person.
BENEFITS: you gotta be there for 90 days until you are eligible to receive your discount card, that's a longer wait than some companies, but it's nice that they do offer one to their employees.
JOB SECURITY: they do background checks on employees they hire, which is more than most companies today. if you are a hard worker, are open to working many areas in the store, and have a flexible schedule too work, it's a pretty secure job, more than most companies are offering in this poor economy.
WORK?BALANCE: they seem to value you as person, making it understood that when you are off the clock you do NOT work unless you are on the clock. that's nice and appreciated.
CAREER POTENTIAL: it's there if you work hard and do all the hunting around to get the position you want.
LOCATION: the company is located all over the area in most states, you do have the ability to transfer to a store that is close to your home if it's a hardship, i respect them for that.
CO_WORKER COMPETENCE:it depends on the person. for the most part many co-workers will help you learn the system so everyone can work together in harmony.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: it depends on the store, the management. many customers get really rude with the employees, i'm surprised in the customers ill-behavior in treating employees. for the most part the stores are huge, and not every employee knows everything, but they will always go out of their way to try and find out an answer for a customer and help them.

its good company in tough times to have a job at, but the pay could be better.

From Rome, GA Chattanooga TN and Temecula CA — 08/24/2010

I started working for Wal-Mart in 2000 and loved it. The management, pay, benefits and environment was great! I had never worked for a better company. Transfered to Chattanooga TN after working in Rome for 3 months and moved up to Dept Manager from Cashier within 2 months and then from dept manager to CSM. Once again my family moved so I had to leave the company after 3 years of service.

In 2008 I started working at the Temecula, CA store and it sucked. The company had gone to hell!! I had never been treated so poorly by anyone, the pay sucked and so did everything else.

I would never work for them again

From Payson Utah — 08/11/2010

This is from a hard workers point of view and also i think the majority of ratings on this site come from people have been fired, i haven't. worked there for almost 5 months now.

Pay: i started out at 8.60. having had retail experience. The girl who started the same day as me, having NO work experience AT ALL, first job made 9.50. That part im mad about. But she was a terrible worker and got fired.

Respect: From my direct manager, its great. She see's that i do a great job and compliments me. from the assistant managers, from the one thats above me its alright. He doesnt see me work so he doesnt see that i have done a fantastic job so im average in his eyes.

Benefits: 10 percent off of everything except (healthy) grocery. thats pretty good. Full time gets pretty cheap benefits. They give you like 40 percent off in the vision center.

Job Security: unless you dont work, they wont fire you. Just come to work and do what your told. just like any other job you cant be late alot or call in alot, thats why the girl mentioned above got fired.

Work/life Balance: You work during busy times, friday saturday sunday and generally nights. My fiance works mornings and i usually start work when she gets off some where between noon and 3. You work 9 hours a day with an hour lunch and 2 fifteen minute breaks. thats a pretty good deal.

Career Potential/Growth: As a hard working associate, at my 90 day eval they gave me the said was the best review they have ever given to anybody except one other kid who became a department manager in 4 months. Right now im looking at a over night support manager who makes about the same money as that.

Location: Wal-marts are everywhere, mine is 9 miles south from my house and one 11 miles north. which is good.

Co-Worker Competence: im the guy who they get when they dont want to answer a question or dont know the answer. It gets old but i guess it keeps me busy.

Work Environment: You can move to any department whenever you want really which is nice. I work in electronics and cross trained in the connection center (cell phones) and in the photo lab and its nice to be able to go to either. They like to pull me from my department to work in other areas and i like working in frozen or dairy better, only because there is a huge work load and when im busy time goes by quicker. Thats the only complaint i honestly have with wal-mart. My manager doesnt give me enough work to stay busy. She gives me an hours worth of work for a 9 hour shift and expects me to stay busy. So i wonder around electroncs straightening things. That part gets boring.

From Exton, PA — 07/09/2010

Unlike some of the other reviews I have read about this company, I am very happy to work at my store and I consider many of my coworkers "family." I have been treated with the utmost respect from 99% of my coworkers and have been able to progress upward in my "career" in a very reasonable amount of time. Perhaps this is due to my approaching retirement age (I'll NEVER retire). My "real" career is over and now I'm working because I want to--not because I HAVE to. Walmart has been very fair to me. I suspect that the very negative remarks about this company have come from people between the ages of 18 and 30--people with a very weak work ethic who simply stay home if they sneeze and not even bother to call their employer to report their absence. And to think these are our future leaders. I hope I'm not around when that happens.

From Delaware — 06/07/2010

I've been with the company 2 months and all I do is zone (organize merchandise) for my entire shift...usually 8 hours. Can't stand being there. Not needed or permitted to do anything but zone, even though I've expressed my dissatisfaction and would like to do more. Needless to say, I am only keeping this job until I find something else.

From Broken Arrow — 05/18/2010

I love working at Wal-Mart. It may be due to getting to work in the department I wanted, but I have absolutely enjoyed my time with this company so far.

The pay is great (for retail/compared to other jobs I've had) and part-timers start at around 7.85+ depending on where you work and when. Associates earn an extra dollar per hour for working Sundays. It's the most I've earned at any job I've had so far. (+4)

Respect was actually better than I expected. They're not kidding about their "Open Door" policy. I have never been screamed at or talked down upon by a member of management. (+4)

The benefits offered are minimal unless you work full-time. All associates receive a 10% discount, which isn't effective until after you've been with the company for a month-and-a-half. Associates are also eligible for quarterly bonuses, which can range from nothing to almost $500. (+2)

Job security--as it is for just about any retailer--is nonexistent. The first time I worked for this company as a cashier, I was laid off just short of two weeks into my time with them. Of course, this probably gave me an edge over other candidates when it came time to re-apply, due to the previous experience allowing me to land the department that I wanted.(-3)

Work/life balance is okay. They won't schedule you outside of your availability, and I've never been called in to work when I wasn't scheduled to. The management is very prompt and proper when it comes to lunch/breaks. They will never ask you to work without being compensated. Taking proper breaks and lunches is always a main concern. (+2)

Career potential with Wal-Mart is about the same as any other retail job; show up for your shifts, take your breaks, don't cuss anyone out and stick-around long enough and you'll eventually move up... though I wouldn't hold my breath since most promotions come with a pay upgrade of around a little over a dollar per hour, plus you have to deal with twice the crap. (+2)

Wal-Mart is everywhere. (+5)

My co-workers know what they're doing. (+5)

Work enviornment is okay. It's Wal-Mart. (+4)

From Michigan — 05/08/2010

As a long, long term associate I have seen constant and drastic changes within my company. Benifits? Yes. Some really good and some not so good. Excellent Dental and very reasonable, Health insurance? Hard to touch financially. Beside with the comepany becoming mostly part-time, with a two year wait on medical insurance pretty out of reach. We are given sick time but, do not use it unless you schedule it in three weeks in advance. All absences count. Doctors notes don't mean a thing. 6 absences in a rolling 6 month period. NO MATTER what! Walmart has become very short term. part time employment. 50% of my co-workers get food stamps, medicaid or some other kind of assistance. Walmart expects total availability. 7 days per week. They call it "OPEN AVAILABILITY". So, don't plan on it as a second job. You will not get enough hours to support a family with out assistance. You might work 7am-4pm one day and 5pm-11pm the next. Turn around and be back first thing the next morning. Very hard to plan life around. They do schedule out 3 weeks but, forget flexability. Very disposable enviroment. Difficult to walk into work each day wondering if it is your last. Many get away with practically murder and others get raked over the coals for not breathing right. What is fair for one is not the same for another. To be an assistant manager is brutal. Up side? If you can hold on and make it 2 yrs. You can take the experience just about anywhere. Companies tend to respect the battle lines you have walked. get better hours, pay and treatment.

From Hanover, MA — 04/23/2010

I currently work at Walmart in the Electronics department. The pay is actually not that bad for a 19 year old part-time worker which is $9.50 an hour starting (in electronics).

From napoleon oh — 04/22/2010

I liked working there. The pay was ok. Cashiering was an easy job. The only thing i hated was the scheauling one day i worked nights and the next days. I asked them to keep me at one or the other but they wouldnt so i quit