Working at Waffle House — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Waffle House pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Waffle House

From Jackson,Tn — 12/02/2009

I have worked for Waffle House on and off for more than 7 years, and my brother-in-law one and off for almost 25 years. While working for Waffle House can be frustrating and aggrevating because of some of the co-workers, I have found there is usually a core of long standing employees that can make up for it.

One grill op I worked with is definatly what all little Waffle House ops should aspire to. I have had customers sitting at the counter just to watch him cook. I have been one of two employees working a shift that made over $1100, and after serving as everything from door corps to relief manager I can honestly say that you get from Waffle House what you are willing to put in.

Any company can only hire people that come to them, and I have seen alot of things like on some of the earlier reviews, but if all you can find is something wrong with the place you work, is there a chance you might be part of the problem.

My Waffle experience included having to take alot of days off when either my heart was failing (I have had to use ambulance attendants that were eating there at the time for help atleast twice), or when my husband was in the hospital getting over surgery for his cancer. Never once did they question me about it, and actually never asked me for a med excuse when I just didn't feel like working because of my heart,but wasn't bad enough to go to the doc.

Our last district manager was with our franchise for 10 years and even longer with Waffle Inc. The one before him had been in our town for probably 20 years and another before that. He worked for them as a regional manager until he passed. In the last few months another manager filled in his job, because they refused to replace him incase he got better.

Once again I say, you get out of a job what you put in it. sometimes its not the business that is at fault, but some of the employees. And just for the record I have been forced into early retirement so I haven't worked there for over a year, but I really miss it.

From Florida — 10/22/2009

If you decide to train with Waffle House, and you think you hate it in the beginning....it doesn't really get better. At least not for me and I've been here 7 months. But if all you care about is money, go for it. That's all management here cares about so you'll fit in.

I hate my job. The only thing that keeps me here is the fact that I'm a recent college graduate with almost no experience and I have bills to pay. Every time I want to quit they tell me all the reasons I should stay. I have never in my life worked for such a cheap company. It's pretty pathetic. One of my upper managers' husband does our tiling in the kitchen area...he does THE worst job ever. Even the customers comment on how terrible it looks. The floors are uneven, not even dipping toward the drains so water just pools everywhere. I

t's embarrassing to manage a Waffle House with so many problems. The ceiling tiles are falling down (I literally have suare holes in my ceiling where they've just fallen down). There are leaks everywhere, there is a terrible smell coming from all my drains (I'm told that problem has been there since they build the building about 15+ years ago), and my AC units are all rusted. It's hard to mold a pile of crap into anything other than a pile of crap.

I feel like upper management will say anything to get people to stay because it affects their bonuses. They lose money when people quit. I really think this company takes advantage of people. How can ONE person manage a unit that is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? I've worked at numerous restaurants that weren't open 24 hours and even they had several assistant managers.

You want to know how else they save money? They get their servers to bus and wash all the dishes. They won't pay anyone outside the company or at least pay extra for their extra work. It's disheartening to feel stuck in a company that I feel this negatively about. I am currently looking for another job. But since I do have a good-paying job, I want to make sure what I'm going to is better. I'd hate to leave a crappy job with benefits for another crappy job where I have to start all over.