Working at Wackenhut Corporation — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Wackenhut Corporation pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Wackenhut Corporation

From Omaha — 12/06/2009

I just got hired on and from what ive seen they are a ok company. They have alot of CPOS who are like 60 years old who served as MPs back in the 60s who have no knowledge of security but get that title just cause what they did 40years ago. They need to go off of security background experiance.

From Palm Beach Gardens — 07/13/2009

This company in a whole is pretty good as far as the headquarters go. But as far as the NCC it is the worse department to work in. Their is alot of favortism going on. As far as transferring out of the department, you might as well forget it. The manager never sticks up for the employees and could care less about the employees. They are always pointing out the negative and never appreciate all the good things you do for this department.

From Greenville, SC — 02/25/2009

Pay: The pay can be excellent for what you are doing (around $11 an hour). Many times you are paid this much for writing simple reports, doing simple patrols, and being sociable. However, if you are at a dangerous site, you have to consider that a price shouldn't be put on your life (yes, they have some sites this bad, but you CAN refuse!)
Respect: In general, you will never receive the same respect as, say, a police officer. Many people know that you are a "rental cop." With that being said, I almost always felt that people respected me as an authority figure.
Benefits: Not too cheap (I didn't accept), but not terrible.
Job Security: This has been the most unfortunate aspect of this job. I love this job, and that's saying a lot. However, if a contract is lost at a site you work at (happens more than anybody would care to admit), you can find yourself jobless with very little warning and at no fault of your own. Company loyalty/seniority means very little.
Work/Life Balance: You tell them what shifts you are available (they have all three), and you can work overtime or not (your choice really). Very flexible people. You have to be careful with turning down requests though, because your hours might get cut.
Career Potential/Growth: You can move up in ranks, but this does not increase your pay, and really doesn't effect your respect either.
Location: You can be at dangerous sites (horrible public housing, dark/semi-vacant facilities, etc.). Most are safe though.
Co-worker Competence: I love the people I worked with, became genuinely good friends with them, and actually care about them...most of them. All it takes is one officer who is dying to play chief ALL THE TIME, constantly on a power trip, to ruin your work experience (I am not talking about any specific officer, as this happens more often than you could imagine; almost every site has a few of these.)
Work Environment: Cons: It could be dangerous/repetitive, and probably will be boring. Pros: It will probably be easy, you will hang out with friendly co-workers who are probably laid back, and you might turn out to like the job as much as I have.

From NY — 01/06/2008

Two years and I had no problems really but then again I was only 18 and living at home while getting my degree. The pay was ok for a kid I started making like 13 bucks an hour within a year sitting in a control room. The only way to get a better position in this company was to work real long hours and volunteer for everything at first.

-Oh yea, don't fail a urin test.

From Portland, Oregon — 01/04/2008

I worked at the portland branch as well. The employees here kinda made it fun even with all the garbage. I don't have anything bad to say about Wackenhut in porltand. I even worked long standing shifts at times and late nights and early mornings. Supervisors were pretty cool and made it work out pretty fair.

From Portland, Oregon — 11/18/2007

I think it really depends on which branch of Wackenhut you work for. I worked for the portland branch for almost a year. I really liked it an quite honestly was not upset at all with how people were treated. I give kudos to the way they were running things there. They had to take a crummy situation and make it good, and they did a good job of it. We all hated the goofy ugly nasty uniforms and we all hated the long hours of standing in one spot, but Wackenhut in Portland seemed really good at making up for that. They were not anti union in fact one major contract I worked for was unionised and they seemed pretty fair. I worked for several different contract durring my time working for them. They really never made me angry. I actually enjoyed working there. They bent over backwards for me one time due to a mixup with my military record.