Working at Virginia Department of Transportation — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Virginia Department of Transportation pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Virginia Department of Transportation

From Suffolk, VA — 03/09/2007

VDOT is a progressive government agency to work for. That opinion comes from a former federal vested employee, for which Virginia State Civil Service has beat. By beat, I mean the Virginia state government employee system is merit-based, rather than tenure-based for pay, promotions, etc. That is a huge bonus, as on the federal side you had incompetent imbeciles likely to be your boss. On the merit-based side, you have at least a fighting shot at being recognized and rewarded for exceptional performance, which is what VDOT has done with me. A major drawback is base pay, which is traditionally lower than average for your trade or profession. However, the benefits package is second to none, even the federalies. The benes alone amount to almost 50% of my total compensation package, including two weeks of sick and personal time, not including 12 days paid vacation per year. Great agency to have a career with, as you can expect recognition and reward as long as you provide continued world-class service.