Working at Virgin America — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Virgin America pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Virgin America

From Burlingame, CA — 09/14/2010

I left a 10-year career a year ago to come to Virgin America. I work inflight and have to say that the negativity on here come from bitter, disgruntled people who are obviously unhappy with life, through no fault of Virgin America. I am very happy that I came to Virgin and have had no negative experiences. Yes, the pay is low. But you are told the pay scale during training, so no one should act surprised or complain that the pay is low. I gladly took a paycut to come here for the free flights, fun co-workers and all the days off ( I only work 12-15 days a month). You can pretty much create your own schedule by choosing to work more or less. Once you're off reserve, the schedule flexibility is insane. I have been able to tweak my schedule so that I have been able to go to Europe and other places at the last minute.

Despite what some people on here have said, management does listen to us inflight teammembers. I have had concerns that were addressed timely by my supervisors and directors. Job security is good. As someone else mentioned, it takes a lot to lose your job here. They give you several chances before letting you go. The people who have been let go were less than desireable employees. We often get emails from management thanking us for our hard work and have opportunities to express concerns to directors at headquarters, as well as in meetings.

Nothing is perfect. No job is perfect. And I won't sit here and say that there aren't things that need improvement. But this is the best job I've ever had and I look forward to going to work everyday. How many people can say that about where they work??

Being a flight attendant is not for everyone. But if you are interested in this line of work, Virgin is a great place to be. The time on reserve is fairly short, our planes are amazing and the guests all love us. There are some reviews on here from bitter people who obviously should not have been in this line of work. If you're unhappy at Virgin, please leave. Let those of us there who are having a good time enjoy it.

From Burlingame, CA — 06/14/2010

I'm confused by all the negative feeback on In-Flight experience here, so I need to add my two cents. The pay isn't great, but it's not great at several other airlines. The people who make money by being a flight attendant have worked for their company for years --- Virgin is young, and our most senior people have worked almost three years. Inflight needs to understand in order for our company to succeed, we can't expect to make $60,000 like Southwest flight attendants do. We aren't there yet. And the pay is enough to live on if you are frugal- I've been able to live credit card free the entire time I've worked at VA and I have travelled all over the country and to foreign countries as well.

As far as "respect" goes--- I feel like the company does respect their In-Flight. We are constantly getting emails congratulating us for our hard work. Some people are just butt-sore for no reason. We can approach management about ANYTHING and they listen.

Benefits are good- if you pay for the higher plans. Our 401K just got upped and the matching contribution by the company is excellent.

Job security is high. I don't care what people say. Of every single person I know of who has been fired in the past two years, THEY HAD IT COMING. I must type it in capitals--- but it was obvious. It is hard to get fired at VA. You have to have messed up so many times before they fire you.

Work and Job balance is what you make of it. If you work 130 hours a month, you job is your life, and it's not a bad life. Having minimum hours during the holiday and summer seasons suck, but you can still arrange your schedule so that you have a block of days off and a block of days working.

Career potential--- I know so many Inflight who have gone on to work in the company in other positions! If you are a good, respectable employee, you can advance.

Location--- you can live pretty much anywhere and commute, but I guess Burlingame isn't special. Except for LouAnns.

Co-Workers--- The best in the industry. Funny, smart, cool, hard working, supportive--- our in flight is absolutely amazing.

Work Environment- we work on the newest planes in the industry, with an amazing in flight entertainment system. Customers love our product, they love us. Working for any other airline would pale in comparison.

From Burlingame, CA — 02/05/2010

I recently accepted an offer as an In-Flight Team Member after being umemployed for almost a year. I have flown both commercial and corporate--12 yrs exp. I am very grateful, in light of this current economy , to have received this offer. Aviation jobs are hard to come by..and that's what we like to do, right? If you're burned out, perhaps a career change would be a welcomed consideration. The indeed FA job forum shows that there are many happy employees. Many times it's our own attitudes that make management issues seem worse. I'm not in denial..I just like to believe the best.

From San Francisco — 01/25/2010

I like working at Virgin. But we do have a lot of flight attendants that feel like they are "entitled" to more than they get. Most have never worked at other airlines and dont realize that things at Virgin are better than most. I hate to say it, but some of our flight attendants sound like spoiled brats complaining about this airline. They should be grateful to have this job.

From SF, CA — 01/20/2010

There are a lot of people who are very happy at Virgin America. If you all are so unhappy I suggest you go find other jobs! I hear Skywest is hiring!