Work at Victoria's Secret — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Victoria's Secret pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Victoria's Secret

From Michigan — 11/03/2009

-Pay-
I can't complain about my pay at VS. I'm a sales associate and still make pretty well above minimum wage.

-Respect-
Do your job correctly, and you will receive all the respect in the world from your co-worker's and managers. My manager's can be intimidating at times, however, do what they tell you to do and you will not get yelled at or feel pressured to sell more then you are capable of.

-Benefits-
I am a part time associate, therefore, do not receive benefits.

-Job Security-
I never feel like my job is at risk really. We are a very high volume store and generally make plan. As long as your do your job right, you don't have anything to worry about.

-Work/Life Balance-
I never feel like VS takes up my life outside of work. While sometimes days feel long and never ending, once I leave work it doesn't follow me home.

-Career Potential/Growth-
From what I have heard, they do their best to promote within. In the few months I've been there I've seen quite a few associates receive some type of promotion that have worked there for a significant amount of time (1year +).

-Location-
My work is only 15 minutes from home.

-Co worker competence-
I get along great with all the girls who work there and 99% of them do there job really well!

-Work Environment-
The environment is nice and for working with some many girls, not a lot of cadiness or gossip. Maybe my store is an exception but I absolutely love working at VS and feel like it is a really great place to be employed.

From Florida — 09/27/2009

Pay: The consensus seems to be correct. It is pretty mild. I get paid just above minimum wage (7.76).

Respect: I've worked in two Victoria's Secrets and I've NEVER had a problem with respect. EVER. I don't know if it's because I don't take things soo personally. Considering the way they train you is throw you out there after watching a day of videos and one day of shadowing for about thirty minutes in each department, I could see how it could be annoying to have someone repeat something five million times when you know what your doing. I just see it as coaching while others complain. If you have an idea and you make it known it is a very comforting feeling. They listen even if they don't agree.

Job Security: I've never heard of anyone getting fired for a stupid reason. Only if they stole things. So many people would miss shifts even and they didn't even get a big deal made out of it. I feel very secure in my job.
Work/Life Balance-I, like everyone else, do not like the call-ins. especially the fact that YOU have to call THEM. BUT, it is VERY easy to get someone to take the call-in for you or trade. I live in a college town now so even more now.

Career Potential/Growth: I would say that is VERY easy to move up if you express interest, be persistant and let your ideas be known, and bring your energy to work to show you CARE about your customers. Ask a million questions about performance, (i.e. did that bra make it to the resgister?)

Location: before it was about thirty minutes, now about ten. not too bad.

Co-worker competence: Like I said before, the training there isn't as wonderful as it should be. Most of my coworkers ask for help if they need it or refer to old hires and are eager to learn, so if they aren't compentant at least they are working on it :D

Work environment: The credit is a little stressful, thats the only negative I could say. Only because I don't agree with credit cards and I hate badgering people and you can tell they just want you to leave them alone :( and nothing sucks worste than seeing a customer super happy you helped them and once you ask their smile turns to.. not a smile. I LOVE how many customers give compliments and how it is very easy to make them happy because I am confident in this brand and LOVE it. All my managers and coworkers are chatty and smart. They all at least pretend to value your opinion. lol. You feel like you are part of a team while balancing with work. Plus, its the only place I'm ever comfortable to be my OCD freak self :D They pay attention to detail and that detail makes me excited (i.e. on the new Very Sexy pink bras the strap adjusters have LOVE PINK on them) I also like that I have a responsibility to make goals such as the sale plan and credit plan.

From Oregon — 09/23/2009

I love my job I keep getting promoted and pay increases which is great. I feel that if you work hard and show what you can do and actually want to do as much as you can for the company then you will be recognized. I am glad I have finally found a job I enjoy with people that respect me and listen to my ideas.

From Boston, ma — 09/08/2009

I do not understand the negative comments. I am assuming they are from people who want to sit around and do nothing. I work in sales support in the backroom, I honestly love my job. I am paid rather well for what I do, it is not hard. I work how ever many hours I want, usually 15 to 20 per week. if I want more I can get more. I have great support and respect from my managers and co workers. I feel in a job as in life if you put something in, you will get something out, for those complaining about the job I wonder how productive they were at work?? Usually the ones complaning are the ones who are not doing the job properly. If I wanted career advancement, I am sure I could check into it, but I am quite happy being PT. Having been in Education for many years I wanted something different..an easy non thinking part time position..I have it in victorias secret.

From Seattle, wa — 09/02/2009

Pay
Although the pay isnít great, it IS retail, there are over 1000 Victoriaís Secret stores throughout the nation. If each of those stores have an average of 25 sales associates each, how much can they really afford to pay us? Yes, we make the company a lot of money, but it is a company, and they are making money.

Respect
The respect I receive from my management team and associates is wonderful. Iím never disrespected or treated badly. My managers are always open to new ideas and love hearing from their associates.
A lot of people on here have mentioned the credit push, but itís no different than pushing a customer to buy a bra. Ultimately itís all about brand loyalty and encouraging sales. The three noís is a more like a guideline than a rule. It depends on the customer of course. Some will tell you no right away and if they seem VERY certain they donít want the card, I let them know that I wont bother them about it, and was just trying to offer them a ton of savings with us. Usually they actually thank me instead of getting mad.

Benefits
There arenít many benefits until youíre a full time CSL/manager, which is understandable, again, there are 1000 VS stores, they cant afford to give ALL of those employees PTO and insurance. If benefits are that important to you, work hard and get your ass promoted! Besides, we get a 30% discount (40% if youíre full time) and lots of free bras and make up, etc on gratis. Everyone loves that right?

Job Security
I think my job security is great actually. Many of the people on here posted really negative things about the company on here, but Iíve never questioned my worth to my store. I think the people who say that their managers would replace them in a heartbeat, is because you arenít working hard enough. You donít like your job and it shows. Find a job that you love to do, and youíll have great job security and get the respect you want. If you donít want to be at your job or be respectful of the people you work with/for, why should they want to keep you around?
Work/Life Balance It is somewhat hard to balance my work and social life. I work 36+ hours a week, I go to the gym, tan every few days, spend time with my friends one day a week and see my boyfriend every night. It can be done if itís important to you.

Career Potential/Growth
The other people who wrote into this are just stupid. Career growth is HUGE to this company. Talk to your manager, express that you want to move up, tell them what you have done to help with the success of your store, and what you WILL do to further better yourself. THEY WILL LISTEN. Believe me, 4 months ago I told our Brand Delivery and Operations Manager that I wanted to move up. I was a sales support (stock) associate at the time and had worked there for 2 months. She was THRILLED! Our store manager was on maternity leave at the time but my Brand Delivery manager got me started on my pathway. We mapped out where I wanted to get to eventually and how. She gave me a touchbase and told me what I was doing well on and what I needed to work on. Since then Iíve been promoted to Operations and Staffing Coordinator, and just today was offered a temporary holiday roll as Merchandise Flow Supervisor. Believe me, to those of you who say the company/managers donít care, youíre just lazy. Get off your ass and make it happen, or quit. Because this company is too good to have lazy employees who have already checked out before they even clock in.

Location
The location is great, I work about 20 minutes (more or less depending on traffic) from my house. I have another VS store that is a smaller volume but is about 10 minutes away, I have another store about 45 minutes south. Another thatís 45 minutes north. Theyíre all over, wherever I might move to in my state There will be a VS close by.

Co-worker Competence
Most of the girls I work with are wonderful. Very very knowledgeable and fun to be around. There are only a few that donít want to be there, and believe me, they are the ones being replaced (like those girls on here saying their managers donít care and would easily replace them).

Work Environment
The work environment, well itís a retail store. Itís brightly lit, fast pace, energetic, and can get messy. But thatís what you get for being in customer service. :)

From Kettering, OH — 02/11/2009

Excellent benefits (insurance) & associate discounts. For achieving good work habits, the company gives away several great prizes. The company has been open for over 15 years, and still going strong.

From Farmington, CT — 12/09/2008

Respect- I have never had a problem, I feel that as in any job you give people respect you will get it back. While some employees may not be as friendly, I have never had anyone disrespect me. Furthermore, if you did have a problem, there is ample resources for you to turn to.

Benefits- Only full timers get the good ones, ie; 40 percent, health, 401K. Although the 30 percent and free stuff from time to time for the rest of us is better then any other company on the account their bra's are 50 dollars minimum.

Job Security- It's retail.

Work Life- They love you if you stay late, come in early, basically devote yourself to them when they need you, but they also notice and compensate for that too. In my company they have been understanding when others as well as myself have had transportation problems and family problems. Although, this is not to say they will tolerate this all the time.

Growth- It's hard, as least where I am working. I think smaller stores might be easier, but the bigger stores that aren't doing well might experiences problems. Hours aren't always there is you don't make your sales and as stated before, full time positions aren't plentiful. Depends where in the company you work too. Sales floor hours are available more, but backroom hours can be cut more easily.

Co- worker competence- There are always people that s*ck at their job, and my location has a few of them, but so does every company. It can get straining when you find yourself picking up and fixing other peoples laziness but, it will get noticed when you do. Furthermore, if you speak up (to the right people) things can get changed.

Work environment- Nice. its the mall, air conditioning in the summer, you get to look and smell nice, nothing too gross about your job, except the customers. Hahaha. No it's a wide varitey of people and some are mean and others can become your best friend.

Overall, not a bad company to work for. If you work backroom it can get frustrating always being blamed for some of the problems in the store and furthermore if your store doesn't do well, you will know. It depends how much of a career you want to make it. Your average sales girl won't find too many discrepancies IF she can SELL. If you don't make your numbers, be prepared to find out.

From Oklahoma — 01/15/2008

This comp. is amazing. I don't know anyone that could say they hated every working moment. I do agree that its your mgmt. team that will make or break or experience. I try very hard to keep up asc. moral, and the comp encourages it. They spend so much money on each asc. each year. Yeah its not the highest paying job and if you are a slow or mope around type of person then it would not be the job for you. If you are competitive and like to see your hard work pay off then you should join this team.

From Oklahoma — 06/20/2007

This company actually does care ALOT about their employees. I am assuming that you are an associate and not a member of management to have those bad things to say, but the company supplies about a MILLION tools to streamline associate retention and satisfaction. Maybe it is your management who make working there suck. As for the comment about customer service; if you are really pissed bc we always do what is right for the customer why don't you get another job? Like not in the CUSTOMER service industry! It doesn't come out of your pocket so what is the big deal to you? Just remember, people don't leave companies, they leave managers.

From Michigan — 02/24/2007

This was not an easy job, but it was not awful. Be prepared for the job to be the main focus of your life. There is no work/life balance. It is fast paced, high energy, and stressful most of the time. The pay is good, benefits are crappy retail. This job is strangely rewarding. If you work hard, you reap the rewards in respect, results and lastly bonuses. (Which are so rare and hard to attain that it is not the motivator to do well.) The discount is kick butt! Oh, and just an FYI- they do NOT resell used product. They would be closed down by the health department if they did that! Doesn't happen.