Working at Victoria's Secret — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Victoria's Secret pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Victoria's Secret

From Novi, Michigan — 09/16/2010

I work at Pink by Victoria's Secret in Michigan. It is only one of thirteen Pink stores in the country. Anyway, I am the first guy who has been employed at that certain store, and I have to say that I love it. My coworkers are amazing and the managers are fantastic to work with. They work well with my other job, and the hours do fluctuate with business as they told me that during the interview. Our head manager is real nice and supportive of her staff and has total competence in us doing our job.
It does vary from location to location, but I am happy that they hired me. They are truly a great company to work for

From Pennsylvania — 09/11/2010

First of all, any job is what you make it. I've worked for Limited Brands for over 8 years, first with Victoria's Secret and then with Bath and Body Works. The company has been like a second home to me. My management teams have been wonderful, and I've seen many regime changes.

The Pay is what you make of it. I've received a comparable raise every year, after receiving stellar annual reviews. Good companies don't reward poor work.

I have always been treated with, and treated my co-workers with respect. I started as a part time sales associate and worked my way up through the ranks to full time management. When I began my teaching career I was able to drop back into the role of part time associate seamlessly, and I CHOOSE to stay because I love the people I work with, not because I need the money.

The benefits are comparable to many corporations in America. They aren't the best benefits in the world, but I've also had the experience that when I needed benefits my team did everything possible to get me full time status so I could receive benefits. My team respected me and didn't want to lose me, so they did what they could to keep me there.

The balance between life and work can get a little hairy. There are people with Limited Brands that bleed for the company. There are call in shifts that don't always get used, but as a person who was a manager I understand the need for the call in shifts. If a person calls out or if we get an influx of shipment, an additional person is needed. Plan like it is a shift, and if you aren't used enjoy your time off :)

Because it is a part-time retail job for most, the help isn't always competent. Many of us 'lifers' are wary of new help because we've seen how bad they can be, and how much damage they can do. Most people don't understand what is involved in a backroom at a place like VSS or BBW. There is a lot of organization and heavy lifting. If someone doesn't follow protocol it can make things extremely difficult for a seasoned associate who has to go behind and fix everything.

Overall I have loved my job with both VSS and BBW. Are there ups and downs? Sure. There have definitly been days when I thought it wasn't worth it, but overall these are both stores where I could go, do my job and have a great time with co-workers and customers. Isn't that what everyone wants in a part time job?

From chicago, IL — 07/08/2010

Pay - starting, I made minimum wage but have worked my way up with reviews. The more you work there and move up, the more you make.

Respect - I have learned that respect needs to be earned. When I started, I was kinda shut out, but the longer I worked there and the harder I tried, the more respect I got and the more I bonded with the girls I work with.

Benefits - only given to store and assistant managers

Job Security - I have only seen people let go for stealing, so as long as your honest your ok

Work/Life Balance - They are always good about working around my class schedule and honoring my time off. but when you are scheduled 4-5 days a week, its hard to keep a social life.

Career Potential/Growth - This company is very easy to move up in. I know several girls in my store who within months to years have moved from associate to manager . I have been here for almost a year and have been promoted twice. VS also has a program where you can take class to become a store manager and they find you a store to be a full time manager in

Location - my store is less than 10 min from my school

Co-Worker Competence - I think most girls are hired for their professionalism and not skill. Some girls are amazing at what they do and others have to remain at one spot in the store (no versatility) because they just cannot grasp other positions. But if you ever have a question, there is always someon ewilling to help you and answer you. I LOVE my co-workers!!!

Work Environment - When I started, many girls looked the other way. I really only felt welcomed by 2 people. Since then, we have become a much more "open" store. Every associate or custmoer who comes in is treated with respect. I always have fun going into work and the girls I work with make work fun. If you make the job fun, the customers will find shopping there fun.

From Boston Area, MA — 04/13/2010

My experience with the company started out 6 years ago. Over that period of time in a retail environment it's not unusual to have many many changes - in policies, in management, in scheduling, etc. I felt that in the time I had spent there I had adequately adapted to those changes and worked above and beyond what was expected of me.
I was a fan of the product which made it easy for me to sell, an expert at sizing and fantastic with helping customer's that needed extra assistance.

Recently it was brought to my attention that policy had changed in a way that I hadn't been aware of - although each and every one of my managers were aware of my actions. I was told that my employment would be subject to review based on this.
I decided that after all this time spent educating myself, honoring the company and being a loyal worker, this was beyond insulting and quit.

For the little pay, the time spent in high heels on marble tile, the inventories, the pressure to purchase & love the products, it all just wasn't worth it.

Victoria's Secret and Limited Brands is a great company for college students but for a part time gig for a full time corporate gal, it's not - you become replaceable and it's just not worth it.

From Central New Jersey — 04/06/2010

Pay: I get paid a little over $8.00 an hour which to me deserves a 1 because it's higher than the average $8.10 but it's also very low for me as I am taking a major pay cut due to the economy (my past jobs were $10+ per hour).

Respect: I find my coworkers to be very respectful. But they can be a bit catty and gossip during downtime but when you work with a bunch of women, this is to be expected. They can be condescending to someone who is new.

Benefits: The benefits at my particular location are great. My managers are always aware and very open about the next upcoming freebie. They are consistent about it and are concerned if everyone has received their fair share. The 30% discount is really good too considering that you can use the 30% discount at other stores under the Limited Brands company (such as Bath and Body Works and The Limited, etc).

Job Security: I haven't worked here very long but I have never felt that my job was in jeopardy. I also know coworkers that have been at the location since its opened.

Work/Life Balance: My location is good when it comes to scheduling. They pay attention to my school schedule for example and are willing to bend when able.

*The one thing I do not like about the job is the on call hours; its hard to plan anything and with the summer coming up, this may become a problem. Another thing is that the hours fluctuate a lot. One week you may get 25+ hours and then the next week you may get just 8 hours. If you're not a college student and you're looking to make money for a living, this is also a problem.

Career Potential/Growth: I am not sure how quickly one can move up. One of my managers was promoted after only a couple months and another was promoted after a couple years so I assume its based off of the individual.

Location: My location is convenient for me. Its right next to my university and my home.

Co-worker competence: My co-workers are very competent. They are knowledgeable about products and sales.

Work Environment: The job is good. The sales don't change much and its very easy to learn the products and happenings.

*The only thing that I can say bad about it is that its BORING. It is mind-numbing to stand in the store for hours on end without any customers and nothing to do but restock a few bits of merchandise and fix merchandise over and over and over.... and over again. It becomes more of a job appearing to BE busy instead of actually being busy. And did I mention the standing? Standing doesn't seem hard but try doing it for six hours with only a fifteen minute break in between.

Overall, its a good job but its more for someone with little experience or for a person who is just looking to pick up a few extra dollars here and there. Its not challenging and can become quite monotonous.

If you've got a lot of experience and need to make real money, apply elsewhere.

From Bellevue, WA — 03/22/2010

-Pay is minimum wage
-Great discount, and we get all new launch bras for $15 plus a ton of free beauty products
-I really love working here but sometimes if I am having a hard time selling the card to customers, I get worried that they will threaten to fire me. I just keep offering it, and make sure they see that I am really trying and I actually think I get more cards than some of the other associates.
-On work/life balance: a lot of on calls at this job. not an issue for me because I'm just a student but if I were a parent of something, it would be difficult.
-If you work hard enough, you can work your way up the ladder for sure
-Located in Bellevue Square...prime location
-Our store is really focused on excellent customer service so it is a very professional and friendly environment. You are taught never to ignore a customer. There is something for everyone in the store, sometimes they just need help finding it. All my co-workers are so helpful. Together we do team-sales, locate merchandise, practice bra fittings and role play with each other to better ourselves.

From Spokane Valley, Washignton — 03/07/2010

To be honest I love my managers and co-workers, we are all well recognized for what we do and rewarded with praise, call outs, and way to go dollars. The pay at min. wage is not the greatest, and no health benefits is not the best, but I love my job. It is like shopping with girl friends all day. I would not change it for the world.I am on my fifth month there, and most every one is drama free. Your work is what you make it and your attitude is an important aspect of how others will treat you. I really enjoy and am excited to work there everyday. I hope to attend A.I.M. soon, and it shall be amazing!

From Holyoke, MA — 02/24/2010

Other than the "On-Call" thing - Victoria's Secret is not so bad. If you need a steady, reliable job - don't work here. The discount is great, except you don't get your discount ontop of sales. Some of the employees were really nice and some were SUPER snotty. I think the turnover rate is so high that people don't bother getting to know you right away.

From San Diego, Ca — 12/06/2009

Pay -- It is PT retail sales .... get over it, you are going to get minimum wage. Don't attack Limited Brands, attack corporate greed. For that, it gets a 5 as its standard.

Respect - Since transferring from another store, and working in several retail locations at a couple companies, this is the most cohesive store management team.

Benefits - 30% discount is great, as well as 305 at Bath & Body Works and Henri Bendel. Free and discounted lotions are great as well. As a guy, I can not take advantage of free bras

Job Security - I am a top cashier and credit performer. I frequently have 25-30 hrs. A message to the people with just on-calls --- Get off your lazy butt and do something at work. In order for a company to succeed at their business, they need solid sellers. I realize that some of you may never get a chance to prove yourself, but work hard and stop bemoaning the system. Get over it.

Work/Life Balance - Aces is the online scheduling system that is easy to use and I can't think of any job that doesn't expect some sort of set availability. The company is not responsible for you not budgeting time or your need for a social life.

Career Potential/Growth - Prove that you have the drive to succeed and passion to receive promotions, you will be put on a development plan that usually gets you to where you want to be within 6 months. Granted, you have to be competent at your job.

Location - In a great downtown open-air mall. 4 blocks from my house.

Co-worker competence - This can be divided into two categories ... a) regular employees and b) holiday help. Granted, seasonal help is hired at a hectic time; but they still receive adequate on-boarding, It is not VSs fault if you are not the brightest and can't comprehend training. Looking at the entries, most of you can't even spell; or even realize how to use spell check.

Work environment - It is a fun store, with great clientele and awesome product. My store is a red flag store for shrink, but we are also in a very transient part of the city. We do the best we can.

Work/Life Balance

From Sacramento, CA — 11/10/2009

PAY:
Like most have mentioned already, the pay is horrible for associates here. This is a retail job and the majority of hires are out-of-high-school or college students who simply just need a job. Considering that, you can get paid minimum wage working at other retail stores that are less stressful and requires less sales. That is why I believe associates here are being underpaid, because we are constantly pushed to sell, sell, sell. We are even taught sales tactics, specific phrases to say, and specific things to do in order to get sales.

A lot of times customers come into the store thinking we are on commission and they want to mention our names to the cashier so that we get the commission, BUT unfortunately, we always have to tell those customers that we are not on commission. That is one reason why I just stopped caring to work so hard, because I know it's not worth it. I mean, if the customers already assume we are commissioned, that must mean we certainly deserve a higher pay than minimum wage or if not, at least get commissioned.

I think the main reason why every associate, regardless of work experience, get paid minimum wage is because they expect workers to come and go. They know that a lot of the associates are just simply there for a job while still in school and not necessarily there to grow with the company. However, I do agree with some of you that if the pay was higher or if we were commissioned, there would be less turn over and some associates will actually consider a career with the company AND the management wouldn't have to spend their time interviewing more applicants and doing more on-boardings.

When I first started, I was paid $.20 above the minimum wage. Yes, just $.20 above minimum wage. But it didn't bother me much because I just needed a job and the money that I make here is just disposable income to me since school financial aid is already covering my living expenses. Then as time went by, I started realizing that the pay is very bad for the job that we actually do. And the economy started going downhill, so did our hours, and so did my disposable income. It's pretty bad and the Victoria's Secret store that I work at is a high volume store too.

RESPECT:
When it comes to respect, I guess it's okay. A lot of you complain about the bag search every time we exit the store, but I did find out that some other retailers do the same thing too, so it's no big deal. But I do agree that it's quite embarrassing doing it in front of customers. I'm always thinking, "Okay, do the customers think I was stealing, that's why my manager has to go through my bag?"

I actually feel like I'm well-respected by my management team. BUT there was one manager out of my many managers, who I just hated and I knew she hated me too. We never confronted each other about this hatred. I don't know if she can tell that I despise her, but I can definitely tell from her eyes that she hates me. I'm the kind of person who gets along with everyone. I've never, ever had a problem with a co-worker or manager before in my years of working here and prior to this job. But this manager I just hated with a passion, and she was my direct manager too. She watches every associate so closely like we're stupid little 5 year olds. It's intimidating. She even tries to sugar-coat her words so that you won't know she's really insulting you. Yeah, I don't know why she doesn't like me, but I do know that I'm not the only one who doesn't like her. And she is the only manager that I feel like I don't get any respect from. I feel like she will actually humiliate me in front of customers. Other than that, my other managers are the best anyone can ever have.

BENEFITS:
Associates are all part-timers and thus, no benefits. I mean, the 30% discount is okay but you can't even use it on top of other sales. And sometimes, the sales is even better than your discount. I think that if we can use our discount on top of other sales and promotions, the company would generate even more money.

One other thing that sucks is that associates can't use any of those coupons. The only coupons we can use are Pink Nation coupons, birthday wishes, and reward cards. BUT, we can't even use them on top of our associate discount. We either use the coupons OR our discount. But sometimes the managers forget or or the new managers just simply don't know yet, and they let you slide.

We used to get EVERY new product for free so that we have personal testimony when it comes to selling it to customers, and new products are always coming out every month, sometimes even a few times a month. Now, we are not even eligible for every new product. Only select new bras are given to us for $15 and select beauty products for free or sometimes $5. As you can see, everything's just getting worse and worse.

JOB SECURITY:
Associates don't ever get fired at all unless they steal. If you are not a good worker, you just won't get scheduled at all and be kept on on-call.

WORK/LIFE BALANCE:
I absolutely love how this job can work so well with school. Scheduling-wise, this job is perfect for college students.

CAREER POTENTIAL/GROWTH:
Very rare chance of moving up and you'll realize that managers are always transferring around. Even if you do move up, it's a super slow process.

LOCATION: No complaints.

CO-WORKER COMPETENCE:
I love my co-workers there. I have nothing bad to say about them. Some of them may not have as much product knowledge as others and some may be better at selling than others, but I haven't had a problem with any of them.

WORK ENVIRONMENT:
I think it depends largely on the management team. If you have great managers, you will have a great experience working there despite the need for you to sell. The only thing I appreciate from this job is the sales training they give you. You will definitely be better educated/trained and will also help you get other great jobs that will pay you more.