Work at Verizon — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Verizon pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Verizon

From Ohio — 06/02/2010

I have been working with Verizon Wireless since the fall of 2009. As a young professional, I think this is a great company to work for. Verizon actually helped pay for my Master's degree, and I didn't even need it to work for them.
If someone needs a job that will get them sales experience...Verizon Wireless will create a well rounded sales representative. I've noticed a lot of people have completely disrespected the "hand that feeds them." This company gives everyone FROM DAY 1....2 weeks paid vacation, 7 personal days, 7 Sick days. Full benefits, 401K, etc. How can you complain?
I've noticed most other people who have complained were Alltel employees that were given a job (by this so-called Awful company), Be Grateful. Yes we have different policies...Change is good. Embrace it.
Verizon takes complete care of their employees...We have the ability to make whatever we want.
Yes there may be alot of Kpis, and changes in management and policy, but what company doesn't do these sorts of things. Constant change and being able to adapt to change so quickly is what makes Verizon Wireless such a great company, and this same change and adaptation is what makes great Sales representatives.
I will not say working for verizon wireless is easy...Its hard.,but this is what makes our employees the best. We build strong sales skills which are a great asset to have, especially when you do want to leave for personal reasons.
Promotions are always available... I have been promoted every 9months, so for the people who say promotions are not available....You're wrong. If you want promoted you MUST prove yourself...Nothing is handed to you!!!
I would highly recommend working for Verizon Wireless if you are looking to travel and move around the country. They will actually find you a job wherever you want to go and get you there!!!! Its awesome.
I am Verizon Wireless and proud to work for them. If you want a true gauge of what its like working for the company visit a successful store....When you are Successful and Making Money its easier to come to work...Less Stress and the environment is Healthy.

From Chandler, AZ — 05/17/2010

I have worked for over 20 years for many large companies in the past. I am college educated and recently started working for VZW and I really like the culture and the company work ethic. I think that for those people bashing VZW, they should go out and work for one of the multitudes of companies that give you nothing. I find the benefits and work environment top notch. I was impressed that within 2 weeks of starting, I met the west coast president of VZW. I had worked for other large companies for many years and never even seen my local managers. The work place is what you make of it! I am glad to be part of VZW and consider myself very fortunate to work there.

From tampa florida — 05/12/2010

Still thinking.....

From Dublin, Ohio — 05/09/2010

I started at Verizon Wireless in 2005 and my whole experience has been FANTASIC. You people kill me, with your pity stories, talking about Verizon "brainwashed me" with the way they want me to answer calls to "THEIR" customers... come on now what company does not makes policies on how they want you to interact with the clients. This is standard in any place of employment!

The pay is TERRIFIC as well. i am making more money that I have ever made working at Verizon than any other previous job. I also get payouts if i meet my goals, just for doing my job..."UNHEARD OF" at any other job. "Youíre going to give me extra money outside my paycheck, just for doing what Iím supposed to do...sign me up!"

The morale is MARVELOUS, we have "Customer Service" week were the company, caters lunch for the whole building, free phones with random contest, buyout arcade machines, basketball pop and shot machines, The list goes on...the morale is in the right direction, it keeps me wanting to punch into the clock and help our customers!!!

So I will just end with saying everyone is entitled to their own opinion, how every i find it funny when i read the negative comments about Verizon. And i probably will get some nasty comments with this note thought, but who cares. "For all who feel that VZW is such a bad company...then kick rocks. Find another job, no one is forcing you to stay and collect a check ďOnce you u worked at VZW it pretty much will open doors at any other place of employment. THATS THE GREAT THING ABOUT THAT...VZW is so respected by other companies because of its , current, UP-TO-DATE, thorough training. WE are always voted TOP 125 companies for trainings, TOP 50 best places to work by working mothers, JP Power and Associate's voted best CUSTOMER SERIVCE by our OWN customers, TOP 50 for company diversity, And Most Recommended and Top Overall Wireless Carrier by ZAGAT SURVEY. WE ARE FOR LACK OF WORDS THE BOMB ....."WE ROCK" !!!!!!

From Lincoln NE — 04/18/2010

I work in Retail Sales in Verizon (previously Alltel before the buy out) and I can not even BEGIN to explain how much I hate it now. I work with the same people I used to with Alltel and compaired to Alltel were I actually LOVED my job and got payed hansomly for what I absolutly hate my job with verizon now. It is insanly stressful and my pay is about 20 thousand a year less than it was a year ago.

From Murfreesboro, TN — 04/13/2010

While it is true that the benefits and pay are adequate the attendence policy is pure garbage. 5 sick days a year?! If you use more than their (insufficent) time off you are quickly terminated. Personal/Vacation time is available but it is subject to approval and is most often denied in short order. The employee discounts on phone service is 50%, however, all account related transactions require you deal with a department of idiots called employee phone program.

From Maryland — 04/07/2010

I wont get into detail because Ive commented here before and I think the comments here, tell you all you need to know.

From a management perspective, I think all of this companies shortcomings can be summed up in one word. Culture!

This company pays well and provides valuable experience but the culture is outdated and will not hold up in todays world.

Most of the issues mentioned on this site could be resolved it the company would just make some changes to update its culture.

2 primary updates that we do not have:
Employee Value - You dont need to kiss your employee's asses, it is a job afterall, but make them feel appreciated and valuable to the business. That will go a very long way in improving everything that they do for the company.

Customer expereince - stop putting profit before customer satisfaction. Its not 1984 and customers have many choices for wireless and internet access services. Oh and there are other choices for home phone service but you already know that.

From Huntsville, AL — 03/29/2010

I started with vzw hsv call center the past few weeks, and in the past few weeks my personality, as well as my health have been transformed by the toxic environment that I subject myself to for the sake of benefits and a salary that I thought was huge... As soon as I come onto the parking lot I feel my defenses going up. I have never come into contact with such vicious, power hungry, and micro critical people in my life. The brainwashing, and the psyching out is ridiculous. I have met a few people that when I look in their eyes I can see that there is some compassion there and that they are going through a similar struggle. I could write a book about this place and the evil that I see from people who talk about church but I see no church in their actions...All I will say is that this place is a nightmare and a company should not pit its employees against each other like this...

From Rochester, NY — 03/19/2010

I imagine most of these comments come from people who were never at work. Its amazing how many people have FMLA in this work enviornment like no other I have been a part of. Its simple show up to work, do your job, do it well, progress in the company. Don't show up, don't do your job, don't be suprised to be fired.

From South Area, Texas — 03/17/2010

I could make this a novel.... I am a former Alltel employee turned Verizon. I will start on a positive note - Because of the things I had read my co-workers and I were expecting a clean sweep - firing all current Alltel employees and hiring a VZ crew. In the district I work only one person lost their job during the acquisition and they were offered a severance package. I really do appreciate this and my complaint is the opposite of most of the ones here. I work in small town rural Texas. VZ is a big-city company with big-city mentality. My store had 6 full time employees - One manager and 5 sales reps. Now there are 3 managers 3 sales reps and 4 Customer service reps, and we are supposedly still short one CS. The amount of traffic does not warrant this many employees or having dedicated customer service as we are all proficient in sales. But we continuously get in trouble for standing around when it is not uncommon to go an hour or sometimes two without seeing a customer. There are only so many times the shelves can be stocked and there is a limited amount of customer calls to make informing customers of upgrades. It is to the point now that we do all calls for our location and 3 of the surrounding locations since two of those are in a much larger city and they do not need to make calls to see a high volume of customers. We used to have shortened Saturday hours and closed Sundays. This was for a reason. We are in the Bible belt, football country and Nascar fan land - Sunday activities. 3 people work on Sundays and we average about 4 transactions (Total - not per rep) in a 6 hour day not including another 3 or 4 bill payments... which we, being the great customer-focused company, are not allowed to handle any longer and must direct them to a self-service kiosk. The VZ buy out was about a year ago and they have just learned one lesson - soon everyone will be sales again. Any given month only 2 out of the 3 current sales people can make quota. Now we are going to have 7. We will see if quotas reflect this or this is simply a tactic to thin the herd after realizing their mistake. Pay is great, more then most any other job I have had and definitely higher then like jobs in the surrounding area. Benefits are above average but have gotten worse starting this year since we switched Insurance companies. We used to have individual desks and chairs to create a personal environment with our customers. Now we have a single counter that separates us from the customer with a work area that when fully staffed give about (no exaggeration) 3 inches of shoulder space while we stand for 9 hours a day. There is no way to create a personal atmosphere with the customer anymore. Yes there are jobs that you have to stand for long periods of time but this wasn't and does not have to be one of them. Our store is under-performing (Do the uppers realize we are in a recession and that heart of TX is an oil town which is one of the worst hit markets and MAYBE, just maybe, that is why business has slowed?) so we are punished for not having customers (IE. making enough sales) and are forced to do things like pre-opening and post-closing after hours conference calls to explain why we haven't sold enough... These calls can happen daily depending on the time of the month. Or how about wearing lanyards with full sized products all day supposedly to generate interest? Yeah, that creates a professional atmosphere. Having customers literally laugh at us is a great morale boost. VZ fees - for everything. Used to be first time you change your number it was free... now 15 bucks a pop. Contact list transfer - used to be free... now 20 bucks under most circumstances. You request an internet block on your child's line and say you don't want them to be able to download anything (Customers - Please don't blame us for this because it is beyond our control.) and that child finds a way to download stuff anyway after we put on all the blocks we can... no reimbursement credit. Mentality behind this is that because you receive the product or used the service the charge is valid. Even though you requested it blocked and in our system we put on all the blocks we could on multiple occasions this has happened and there is nothing we can do. Now because it has happened so frequently, we aren't allowed to put blocks on internet use/downloads at our store anymore. We have to tell customers to go online and do it themselves so we can't be held liable for the charges. BS. Co-Workers - Overall a decent group of people but since we continuously have the same situation everyone I work with is frustrated. Work/Life - Horrible. Our shifts are regularly changed with no more then 2 days notice because the uppers decided to do a customer appreciation weekend and it is "all hands on deck" No vacation time is allowed to be taken after Nov 15 through Jan 5th and during this time everyone is on 6 day work weeks. Makes it almost impossible to spend any time with out of town guests when your only day off is Christmas day. ( I called in sick on the 22nd just to be able to spend an extra day with my sister who flew down from out of state). I drive an hour to work everyday because it was the only store that had an open position when I was hired. On 3 separate occasions I have formally requested a transfer and have been denied. Once I had to interview for the EXACT same position at a closer location where the manager knew me. I was asked what skills do you have that make you qualified for this position? Maybe because its EXACTLY what I'm doing right now and you know me because we talk about once a week? I've never been on PIP, have never been written up and have received awards for excellence in my position so no, it is not because I am a weak employee. And I am writing so much here because I rarely complain in real life. Do you in other districts have to wear the lanyards? Not have chairs? Thanks for the check VZ but I want my pride and am looking elsewhere.