Working at Verizon — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Verizon pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Verizon

From New York — 09/21/2010

Verizon Telecom has more than 20,000 employees who are not managers. Posters on this site 350(+) or so who "hate it" are the people who can not manage to work a full month and when they do show up, they do not know what they are doing (yes I can see how you need a stress leave for collecting over a grand a week to be stupid). Newcomers remember, they DID not pass an interview (like most people do in the real world)! A professional interview(one where you don't show up in jogging pants and flip flops lol) is very different than passing a "test" where someone else provided you answers! Don't listen to them, ask the other % of our employees who do a great job, know what they are doing, and actually show up! Oh yes you won't find them on this site, they have lives and interests which don't include posting anonymous, cowardly insults as a pass time! If Verizon was so cruel, believe me the Department of Labor would take action...Complainers, leave, I doubt highly anyone is begging you to stay....

From Ashburn — 09/07/2010

I'm soon to be free from Verizon in Ashburn.

From CHANDLER, AZ — 09/06/2010

I WORKED FOR THE CHANDLER CALL CENTER AT FIRST IT WAS GOOD UNTIL I CAME OUT OF TRAINING. THERE WERE SUPERVISORS ON THE FLOOR WHO WOULD WRITE YOU AND TAKE YOU TO H.R YOUR FIRST DAY OUT OF THE 15WEEKS OF TRAINING CLASS... BS... THERE ARE A LOT OF HATERS TOO.. ALSO HOW CAN YOU GET FIRED FOR A VOICEMAIL THAT YOU LEAVE YOUR ROOMMATE ON HER PHONE.. IF SHE TAKES THAT VM TO HR INSTEAD OF THE POLICE IF SHE FEELS THREATENED..HR SHOULD REFER HER TO THE POLICE NOT FIRE THE COWOKER... EVEN A JUDGE AGREES.. VERIZON HIRES & FIRES WHO THEY WANT AT ANY GIVEN TIME.. YOU CAN GIVE THEM YOUR ALL AND THAT IS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM...
ALSO THEY ARE TAKING MONEY FROM THEIR CUSTOMERS. IF CRICKET CAN CHARGE 40-45 UNLIMITED EVERYTHING AND YOU CAN USE YOUR VERIZON PHONE WHY CANT VERIZON.

From Houston, TX — 09/03/2010

Wow some of these comments make me feel this insn't the best place to work or advance. I just came from the Army where there was always promotion potential, as long as you performed well. So far my experience with Verizon has been good. Hiring process was quick, and painless. The only complaint so far was the background check that took 3 weeks and caused me to miss my original start date. Actually my 1st day as a Tech Support Coordinator is on Sept 13, in Houston, TX. I was wondering if anyone knew how long it normally takes to receive your 1st paycheck with this Verizon?

From United States — 08/24/2010

I absolutely love my job at Verizon Wireless. I have worked for the company going on 8 years and have moved into many different positions. The opportunity is absolutely amazing. The people are mostly amazing. The ones that have a poor work ethic are probably the ones posting negatives about the company. Those are the people that take advantage of all of the benefits and then would rather go on a leave of absence than contribute to the company or society. I love my company and unless I win the lottery I plan on retiring with the company! I

From Dublin, Ohio — 08/20/2010

This wasn't a bad place to work. Most of the other employees were pretty cool and most of the managers were easy to work with. A few of the managers were micro-managers or liars, but I suppose you'll have that anywhere. My biggest problem with the place is that they're purposely trying to make the business fail so they can unload it. They've moved alot of the jobs to the Philippines and they're (still) laying people off left and right. Meanwhile, everyone who is still there is expected to "pick up the slack" and do more work without any type of additional compensation. Good luck to you suckers that stayed!

From Tennessee — 08/10/2010

I am so glad this site exists. I can finally let out my rage for this company! I have read through most the reviews on here, and I could not agree more. I am glad I am not the only one who feels like they've signed over their soul to work for Verizon, but I already knew that based on some of the things I've already seen in my call center. I have never been so stressed out about a job in my life. Yeah they offer good pay and benefits, but it is not worth my time there at all. I should've known that working for a company as large as Verizon would come with its major upsets. I can't even enjoy my time away from the call center because I'm too busy thinking about how I'm going to survive the next day of work. I just can't deal with a company that has too many different departments that tell customers different things so that when the account gets to me I have to pacify the customer and give them what they need all at the same time while keeping up with our stats in the call center. My main complaint with the company is that there is no fine line between customer service and performance measures. You can't help a customer when you have too keep calls a certain length every time so that you can meet your calls per hour, and working in financial services, you have to collect money on the account too. Do you really think that an angry customer is going to give you money, but we have to meet hour dollars per hour. That's the thing about big companies as they get bigger, they begin to lose that rapport with the customers and it all becomes a race to make more money than the competitors. I am just so sick of this company. It's getting to the point to where I don't even care anymore. I just go to work and hope for the day to end because I feel like I have to be there in order to make ends meet. I am currently looking for a way out because I know I'm not going to be able to survive there anymore. I have already made myself sick from stress and anxiety, and I refuse to be dependent on medication over a job. For those who enjoy working for this company, good for you. I can't hang. I've always loved their cellphone service and was a customer before working there, but from an employee's view, just stay away. If you see a job opening, DO NOT APPLY UNLESS IT'S YOUR LAST RESORT.

From Brooklyn and Long Island, NY — 08/07/2010

I worked for the company now known as Verizon for 18 years, 11 in customer service and 7 in accounting before voluntarily accepting an 'income protection plan' that was offered in my department a few years ago. When you go to work everyday wishing you can get sick or injured so you can have some time off, it's time to go.

Positives:

Excellent pay; excellent benefits...I was able to take up to a year maternity leave when each of my children was born...Tuition reimbursement.

Negatives:

Sales numbers have become much more important than customer service, so much so that we were expected to sell on each and every call, inclucing from those who couldn't pay their bills most months. If you didn't and a manager was observing, you got a tongue lashing and a warning in your file. This created a 'cut throat' atmosphere where some reps were stealing sales from other reps or adding services to customer accounts without their permission to meet the high quota's. Some were good at covering their tracks. Some were caught and fired.

The union seemed to be there for the 'trouble makers' and people who were trying to 'get over' more than those who are hard working and honest. Most of the stewards I remember were more like bullies.

Pay and benefits are great, but at Verizon, they come at a potentially heavy price: Your soul.

From Texas — 07/27/2010

Threats of being fired every day.

From Charlotte, NC — 06/25/2010

I worked for Verizon since December 09. The center I work in was Alltel previously. In training , I couldn't have been more excitied to start. Once we got on the floor everything changed. Since we were a previous alltel center we only took alltel calls i was hiring for verizon wireless so we had maybe 1 day of alltel training. We were all so lost and customer were so mad to be a company most of them hated that is why there were with Alltel not Verizon. So i stuck out with all the escalated alltel calls and finally made it to "Verizon calls" a bit better but it got worse. The coaching sessions started and quality. FCR was our big thing no matter if you solved there problem if you weren't the first one they talked to..FAILED! After having a guy cuss me and his girlfriend out at this time using words Ive never heard of, I knew it was time to give it up. My depression anxiety was out the roof, the money is good don't get me wrong but it was either the money or my sanity, i choose my sanity.