Working at Vector Marketing — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Vector Marketing pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Vector Marketing

From Norcross, GA — 08/17/2010

YOU GUYS ARE SOOOO IGNORANT! I read this WHOLE entire thing before I ended up taking the position at Vector Marketing. Here is a little overview of my experience.
Got the call. VERY SKEPTICAL. So I researched it and this is what I found. So my dad said I ought to check it out so I did. Went to the interview. And for those of you who say everyone gets the job thats COMPLETELY false. We do not give out positions to everyone. We do however give it out to alot of people because we want to give EVERYONE a chance. And to those of you who say we only hire people to get $150 bucks out of them... that is so dumb. We do over 260 MILLION dollars annually. How much of that do you really thing is the $150 from the new reps? In addition to that, the set that they are buying is usually worth 600 to 700 dollars.
So as I said. I got the job. Went to training, still VERY SKEPTICAL. However I was like what the heck I'll give it a shot and if nothing happens then I stop and look again. And to those of you who say that you pressure you friends and family into buying stuff you are again WRONG! You are going to see them not to necessarily make a sell but to get practice on the script and to get recommendations from them.
That 150 i used to buy my kit, was easily made in my first few appointments.
I work when and how I want. If I work hard I get paid a fat check, If I kind of work then I still get paid a pretty fat check. I started on May first and last night August 16th I started as an assistant manager for the fall where I will make at least an additional $1,000 for the fall on top of the 10 thousand I will be making as a freshmen at GSU. I've made of $5,000 this summer alone. I took two weeks off in June and July and it has never felt like I was truly working. Because your working with a bunch of kids your age trying to do the same thing your doing. It's so much fun and i've made so many friends because of it!
I also sold 5.3 K in 10 days for a contest we had. On top of the 1.5 K that I made by selling, I also got a sword and $500 in cash.

If you are looking for an amazing job and you are the least bit ambitious and personable then I would HIGHLY recommend this company. Do not listen to these other guys on this site. They are either too sensitive to be in sales or they just suck at it and like to vent about there failure in the sales field. Now this is no offense to them. They just weren't meant for it. Like If I did anything in the biology field, I would fail miserably because thats just not my thing. So go to the interview, go to the training and check it out and give it a shot. If you fail you fail and your better cause of it. Don't not go cause other people failed miserably. If you have any questions about the job email me at mfs953@aol.com.

(did not re read so if there is misspelled words or incorrect grammar I apologize.)

From PA — 08/15/2010

Vector is by no means a perfect job or a perfect company, but I'm so glad that I took this opportunity when I received a letter in the mail (as I'm sure many of you did). I started 3 years ago and I've worked at Vector off and on since then, and I've seen a lot of people come and go in that time. I don't usually write on sites like this, but I thought I would after reading some of your comments. First, plain and simple, it's not a scam. I understand how all of you are feeling because I thought it was a scam at first and so did my parents, but it's legitimate. It's an international company with numerous locations in every state and it's also a member of the Better Business Bureau. Yeah you have to pay for the sample set, but you can easily make it back in a day or 2. As for selling only to your family: that is an option, but if you work hard and find other people to see, you don't have to "pressure" your family. I don't have family in the area and I earned over $1000 this week (and over $8000 this summer) and I only did a few demonstrations. As for the "bad economy", direct sales is recession proof and the company had their biggest year ever in 2009 despite the worst recession in years. On top of this, I've made some fantastic friends in the business that I wouldn't have if I followed my original skepticism and walked away from the job. Like I said in the beginning of my post, there are definitely things I would change about Vector, but working here has helped me grow in so many ways and allowed me to fulfill potential that wasn't being fulfilled working as a waiter and cashier at "normal" jobs.

From Cincinnati, OH — 06/07/2010

The reason people aren't successful with cutco is because of their attitude and lack of motivation. I've been there 3 weeks. I made $139 in 30 mins with one sale. When's the last time you made that much in that time frame from a job? When I hit my 50% promotion, that would have been over $450. I'm about to hit my second promotion soon. Yes, the training sucks and it's repetitive. But it's only 3 days worth. Yes you have to call between 7-9 AM to PDI and call after appointments. But what's the big deal? No job is perfect. And I think it's fun to sell things and win free things. There has also been successful people I've seen gone through the program before and after me. Not many people complete it or are successful, but that's because those people have sucky attitudes and no motivation. And there are scholarships. Top 50 reps get one and someone in my office is one of the top 50 and this is only his second summer. This is a very good opportunity to make real money. Don't let one person (or people from their comments), persuade you from not joining the cutco/vector family. If you want to make a lot of money and get awesome experience, this is the job for you. BTW, I just sold to a very successful restraunt owner. His knives in the kitchen were crap compared to cutco. Any demo I've done, Cutco knives has ALWAYS come out on top.

Also, there is massive room for job growth...which includes a lot of pay and a yearly trip (usually somewhere in Europe. This year it's Ireland.) There aren't health benefits that I'm aware of (maybe when you get higher up?) But that could change with the Obama health care plan. People who work for Cutco/Vector are very upbeat, positive people. It makes it fun to work there. You can create your own schedule, which is perfect for a single mom and full time student like myself. You can work there summers, seasonal, or year round. As long as you make at least 1 sale a year, then you're a sales representative for life. So far, this job rocks. =)

From Anonymour, Utah — 06/05/2010

My short experience with Vector Marketing was perhaps one of the most unusual experiences of my life. I attended two days of training, then after internet research and an uneasy feeling I decided to quit. My objective is for this review to help people considering going to the interview, and helped hired people who are unsure of the job.
It all started with a letter in the mail. I was an unemployed college student. They promised a $15/hr pay plus commission, flexible scheduling for students, and absolutely no experience required. Sounded too good to be true, but I was unemployed so I called the receptionist and set up an interview the next day. Her first offer was for me to come the day I called her at 5:30 p.m (unusual time for an interview). I researched the company online and apparently they sold knives.

I was discouraged to see it was a group interview. We sat in a room in uncomfortable desks, filled out forms, and listened to their pop music. The manager met with each of us for two minutes then had us sit close together while she did an hour presentation describing the job and the "perks." It seemed more like a sales pitch than a job interview, and the whole interview was about two and a half hours. Our job was to sell knives in homes, and our references started with people we knew. The pay was actually $15 per appointment not per hour. This was misleading; they are not the same thing. The commission is not added, so it is base pay or commission not "plus commission" as the letter stated. She asked us each questions. After this she met with us each individually for three minutes so we would know if were hired. It still sounded like a good job, and I was stoked after being hired when she spoke to me last. I feel kind of silly now.

After hired I had to attend three days of a training seminar. I heard a rumor that they hire everyone and that the people are just scheduled for different training days so that we do not all see each other. If this is true then we were all lied to because they said we were a "specially selected" group of people, about "20% of the applicants." The seminars were a pain in the rear, and I use that term loosely. We had to sit in a room listening to a district manager pep talk us in uncomfortable chairs, and this lasted roughly eight hours with no breaks. We could bring food, but none of us ate when we sat so close together. He explained how the knives "sell themselves" and that is why college students can sell them. He told us that if we followed the manual, or script as I call it, we could make a lot of money. It sounded like brainwashing to me.

He told us a bunch of "success" stories. People earning two grand in 10 days or 30 grand in a month. Our district manager was a well dressed, good looking guy in his 30's who said he now makes six figures after starting in our position 10 years ago. Selling knives? Yeah right. I find that hard to believe. I do not know how many of these success stories are true, and maybe some people can earn lots of money, but those people are probably the exception rather than the norm. They try to convince you that if you are not that successful you are just "lazy." Give me a break. College students are highly ambitious that is why they are college students; everyone knows that.

Back to the pay. It is not as glamorous as it seems. I am sure that for a while people are lucky to get 20 appointments a week with their references and schedules. Plus with all the gas guzzling from driving because you will get references that live kind of far away, and all the phone calls, and unpaid weekly meetings that are highly encouraged you end up working for more than what you make. Accumulate some of these expenses and your glamorous $15/appointment turns into about $8/hour. High commission is possible, but that is for the small percentage that excel at it, and trust me there are many hard workers who could still not excel.

They mention during the interview and training that you have to purchase a $150 dollar kit to take to demos. It's a security deposit so supposedly you can get it back. Unpaid training sessions could just be so people won't show up just to get paid, and they do not want people stealing knives. There are dishonest people out there, but I still do not trust the company. I would also like to mention that paying for the demo is still a pain. Hello! We're college students. Many of us are poor and unemployed. How are we supposed to get money for that?

The way they wanted us to get appointments was by selling to people we know. I did not feel right about this. It is a tough economy and knives are expensive. I had to keep calling my boss back and telling him how many appointments I was getting. At night he told me to call them and wake them up. Yeah I am not doing that, and in my state it is illegal to call after a certain hour as far as I know. If exploiting your family is not a problem for you then go for it. I decided the job was not for me after I did some research, and I did not show up for my last day of training.

I would also like to point out their specific demographic. (rich people) who are married with children. They will most likely buy the knives as they are expensive.You have to report after every sale. It seems great that they care because I do agree with the philosophy of helping each other succeed but come on! I do not need to be babysat.

There could be potential to make money, so I do not necessarily think this company is a scam, but they are misleading. It is almost like a get rich quick scheme. I would not be surprised if this review got a comment or a reply from a "vector representative." The managers seemed very nice and respectful, which was a big plus, but it is not for me. I would not recommend this job unless you are very desperate. Just remember this piece of information...

If something sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

From Kennewick, WA — 05/24/2010

The "manager"/boss is constantly feeding you bullsh*t. When you start working there, he is "teaching you" tactics to help make people want to buy the product (=manipulation). Don't you ever start to wonder how he is manipulating you?

From Texas — 05/14/2010

Ive already commented on a few peoples so it pretty much explains my opinion. This isn't a scam. They only reason people bit** about it i because they are either lazy and didn't want to work at it. Because yes you actually have to work hard to make money, or they misunderstood the information that they got.

From Tampa, FL — 05/11/2010

I interviewed with Vector back in May of 2005. I had just graduated from high school, and was starting college.
The only job I had previous to Vector was working at a retail store and babysitting for people from church.
I was very excited when they said they would hire me and training started in two days. Training was unpaid, but I didn't mind because my career coach at school said Vector training was some of the best, and some colleges require the business majors to go through the training.
I remember during the initial interview they mentioned paying $135 for a sample kit, but it was refundable if I decided not to continue working for them. I read the contract on day 3 of training, and didn't see anything that was a "scam" so I signed it and started working that very day.
I made practice appointments with my family members and people from church (I got paid for these practice appointments) I rated the pay a zero because you get paid for how much work you do.
It isn't like McDonald's were you show up and get paid no matter how lazy and lousy you are!
I'm a hard worker and really wanted to achieve so I got paid pretty well.
I attended the conferences and meetings, where I learned some of the most valuable information not even my professors taught me.
Job security got a 5 rating because you create your own work, you don't have to worry if you are going to get enough hours at a retail job, or if someone comes in with a higher education you will be let go.

Anyway on with the story...I struggled a little around month 6 with the company, then things got better around month 8. My first full year working with Vector, I worked about 15 hours a week around school schedule and made $38k. Not bad for a full time student! Btw this was my estimated salary after graduation with a degree working 40+ hours a week.
My second year with the company I finally understood the business and gained some more skills and had a 20% pay increase, do to higher sales on appointments.
I never for one second felt I was being scammed or lying to customers or family.
Year 3 I started dating another sales rep from Vector who had been with the company off and on for about 10 years.
Two years later we are married and still with the company. I just hit my 5 year anniversary with the company and never imagined the money I would be making as a 24 year old.
This year I will make a six figure income working full time in the spring and fall and taking 2 months off in the summer.

So there is my review...it's not for everyone but I was the shy girl who grew up in a small town with a small family, and I made it!
If you never step out of your comfort zone, you will never grow yourself or your paychecks!

From Stockton CA — 04/03/2010

Before I really get started, let me explain my position. The office I worked at (for Vector) was relatively close to school and home. My supervisors (like all supervisors) wanted me to make a sale and were actually interested in having a good working relationship with most individuals(so maybe that is something special I got, a nice boss who cares). My co-workers consisted of 18-30 yr olds; some with other jobs, some at school, some trying to just make money. I was inexperienced with sales, but a business major at the same time(so I was studying business and still am). I was not expecting a whole lot with the job and wanted to try to pick up some tips/experience for my own potential time in owning a business. I wanted some time in having money too. I was open minded to the experience.I found advertisement in the local paper, called and was asked to come in for an interview. I was told that the job had a relaxed atmosphere, worked around my schedule, and to be there at two. Filled out the paper work, had an interview along side another person, then a group interview followed by a job work shop of sorts. I was told what I was selling = Cutco Cutlery. For the interview I wore business casual as did others (never wear anything other than what 'says' business), and like the others came back to the three day training.went to the first day=was told about Cutco; general/basic sales tips (as they are explained in any type of course/class; and potential in pay.Second day=explained the system vector works with(no door to door etc. only those you know or someone you know, knows.); more sales pitch on how we could make money; and the vector presentation.3rd day= same as second, but further explained that we had kits to buy, our potential with Vector is as high as you allow it to be, and practice makes perfect. Oh and they explained a few ways to help customers save money(turn in old knifes for discount, get something for free if you buy a certain set). After first weekend of 'practice' I signed a contract (I was as most probably are contract employees). Worked for 6 or 8 months and had the best work experience in my life. this is of '09 and from a business major who looked at the experience as only a way to build skills, gain tips, and make some money. P.S. did I mention I like business?

Rating pay is difficult for this job. You probably can't actually. While working with them and looking at business reviews a few people were payed little or nothing and did not stay long. However, there are still others who I worked with that received a check up to a thousand and over. So I kept pay at a zero rating because your personal experience will be based on how hard you work. the people who were payed less worked less and those who were payed more worked more and was on the phone more. there are no sensible reasons to complain about how much you did not make when you did not put in the effort.If you don't want to work hard,this is not the job for you. Note: there is a base pay(for me 12.50)for every presentation you do. You will either get base pay or compensation depending on what is higher. There is also a rule to follow in order to get payed;Follow their demographics or don't get payed.A goofy but understandable rule.They want to make a sale not pay you for wasting time. That is why I kept a zero rating.

For the people I worked for, they showed respect along with acting like a boss/supervisor and making sure I got the job done. Those I worked with held themselves to a business like professional stature and did not speak ill of me to my face nor spread gossip(as I know of...lol). It still is not perfect and there are times when you may feel like just an employee when the boss wants to get the point across, however this is personal. I have that personality to take things heavily when much of what was said was still understandable for the situation. so thats a four rating and not 5.

Benefits I kept a 0 rating because your a contract employee. under contract you are not given benefits, however as a person who builds their career and runs an office, I do not know possible benefits. explore that on your own.

job security=0 There are not always visible guarantee that you will always continue, however there are individuals who are supervisors, who run offices and other positions.If you are open to moving you may work out of different offices and move up the ladder. For the time I spent I can not give an honest projection about what you WILL experience.That is also why career growth is also at a 0 rating for me. I did not have a huge growth experience however there are others who have. Like any job you need to explore what a business is about before joining.

Location is a 3 for me because my office was close and I did not mind the traveling. If you want a sell there are time where you might have to drive to another town, however this is dependable on you.

co-workers competence is at a three. Some co-workers were new people and you will always be surrounded by individuals who know what they are doing as well as don't. it is a very diverse office to work for.

work environment is a 4 because the team/skill building days got you involved! it did not just tell you information like some lecture, but got you to stand up, move around, yell, etc. that is exactly what you want as a employee and employer. also, the conventions are awesome! you are recognized for your accomplishments. a successful business is one that sets an outline for the employee to follow so that business may succeed. there are goals within the company to match and if done you are get some stuff and mentioned at the conference. not a 5 because this is what can happen not will. if you don't put into it, it wont happen. plus little groups may develop within job like high school. :(
work/life balance=0 again this job is up to you. I can not as many can't rate this. you are set schedule, but that only works if you honestly can do that.

From Detroit, MI — 03/24/2010

I currently work as a receptionist with Vector and enjoy my job. Most of the people who submit online applications and complain later about being mislead do not read the website- where the details of the job are outlined completely. Everything from unpaid training, to having to put a deposit on a kit before starting, to the fact that reps generate their own sales leads is mentioned. Unfortunately, and somewhat surprisingly, most people don't READ the job description before applying. Also, if someone calls from a flyer/business card and IS interested in scheduling an interview after the brief description we give them (we NEVER lie to applicants as some have alleged), I'm happy to set them up with the manager. Obviously, the job isn't for everyone, so if someone comes in for an interview and decides the position isn't what they're looking for, that's fine. It's just an interview- no one is holding you hostage or demanding money from you, lol. Still, I think the opportunity to make a lot of money and learn a lot from the experience is there for those willing to work for it. :)

From Stockton, California — 02/20/2010

Like many of you have said before I took a flyer from some one at my school that promised good part/full time work for college students that would easily work around my school schedule. So later that night I contacted the number on the flyer and the perking Receptionist told me that she was in the middle of an interview at the present moment and that she would promptly return my call within 30 to 45 minutes ( This took place at 4:30 in the afternoon). Ok, fine. So at 9:37 the next morning I received a phone call during my class, annoyed I let it go and I called the number again when i got out of my class at 12 noon. I received no answer.

Confused as to why a business would not answer my call at noon on a business day but decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. Mistake number one. After much telephone tag I finally got ahold of their office and the receptionist wanted me to come in for an interview that immediate second. And being that it was 5:30pm on a Friday and that their office is a good 45 minutes away form my home meant that I had to schedule it for the next day at noon.

When I went to their "Offices" I was welcomed and asked to fill out another application. This was done then I went into the first interview that was only like 45 seconds, then was corralled into another room for the group interview. It was a joke the guy did his little demonstration that took at least an hour. After that we had yet another little meeting in which he stated he would give each of us a call telling us if we gotten the job or not. He called me later to say that i had received the job. I was of course quite happy about this, that is until I read into what all this mess entailed.

The first issue is that they blatantly lie about making your work schedule match up with your school schedule, the preliminary mandatory training takes place from 12pm-5pm three days in a row, I told him that this conflicted with my school schedule in which he replied "well, we can write up an official document stating why your absence was necessary on those days." This isn't high school were talking about this is college, you can't just take days off for your stupid job. And also, while in the interview room, the interviewer explained the "base pay" system to us, he based all his calculations on us doing about 20 appointments a week, and each appointment should take about 1 hour. now working 20 hours a week is fine, if your working in an office, but when you have to drive all across the world to get to those new customers ON YOUR OWN DIME, is going take a considerable amount of more time. And being at school for 28 hours a week already means that I would have absolutely NO WAY of making that many appointments in one week.

Second Issue is that the "Deposit" for the Initial set of Cutlery you are to use on your exorbitant amount of sales calls is by far the biggest scam I've heard of, YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO PAY TO GO TO WORK! And the fact that they had to state that you can turn the set for your deposit at any time shows that this is a scam because without the product in your possession, how are you going to demonstrate how it all works to "clients"??? Third Issue, They say that there is no "cold calling" or "telemarketing" yet they conveniently don't mention how you get clients in the first place!!! And what further proves that this is a pyramid scheme is that, whilst I was in the group interview, the conductor drew out how their "word of mouth" marketing plan works, it is based on you selling the product to one person, then that person tells two or so people about it, then you sell to both of them, then they tell two or so people about it and thence forth, and what do you know? that design kinda looks like a pyramid to me!

IT'S A SCAM PEOPLE!!! Heed my warning! Everyone who has worked for Vector Marketing should REPORT THEM TO THE Better Business Bureau IMMEDIATELY!!! That is the only way to stop their truly despicable practices. Its easy to do to. And to all the "people" who have had only the nicest things to say about this "company" I suspect that those were written to the Upidy Ups from Vector trying to save their own asses. DON'T FALL INTO THEIR TRAP!!!!!