Working at Vector Marketing Corporation — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Vector Marketing Corporation pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Vector Marketing Corporation

From PA — 08/15/2010

Vector is by no means a perfect job or a perfect company, but I'm so glad that I took this opportunity when I received a letter in the mail (as I'm sure many of you did). I started 3 years ago and I've worked at Vector off and on since then, and I've seen a lot of people come and go in that time. I don't usually write on sites like this, but I thought I would after reading some of your comments. First, plain and simple, it's not a scam. I understand how all of you are feeling because I thought it was a scam at first and so did my parents, but it's legitimate. It's an international company with numerous locations in every state and it's also a member of the Better Business Bureau. Yeah you have to pay for the sample set, but you can easily make it back in a day or 2. As for selling only to your family: that is an option, but if you work hard and find other people to see, you don't have to "pressure" your family. I don't have family in the area and I earned over $1000 this week (and over $8000 this summer) and I only did a few demonstrations. As for the "bad economy", direct sales is recession proof and the company had their biggest year ever in 2009 despite the worst recession in years. On top of this, I've made some fantastic friends in the business that I wouldn't have if I followed my original skepticism and walked away from the job. Like I said in the beginning of my post, there are definitely things I would change about Vector, but working here has helped me grow in so many ways and allowed me to fulfill potential that wasn't being fulfilled working as a waiter and cashier at "normal" jobs.

From Pittsburgh, PA — 07/01/2010

This job is all what you make of it. Yes it looks like one of those shady triangle schemes and In a way it is. Only difference is you CAN make money and you CAN succeed. If you don't put the effort in you don't get anything out of it. You are highly appreciated by management. I was in the North Hills office in Pittsburgh and was never put down on my work ethic. In fact, gained all the confidence I needed to sell myself in futures interviews. I showed up for my training and my sales call days. I even enjoyed the fun team building activities. (bowling, ice skating, dodgeball... etc) If you just want to sit at a desk all day this job is not for you. If you can motivate yourself and discipline yourself you'll done great. The knives sell themselves! They are worth every penny! - Keep in mind I no longer work for this company. I still value everything they stand for.

From Columbus, Georgia — 06/13/2010

Pay - I think the pay is great. You determine how much you make. You get tax write offs at the end of the year for gas used and stuff so that's a plus. It really is all up to you.

Respect - The Manager is really making an attempt to connect with each of us and he really wants us all to succeed. I have never felt disrespected in any way.

Benefits - i know there's not free insurance or things like that, but with different competitions like the Fast Start, benefits like bonuses and products are almost endless.

Job Security - You can't really get fired. You keep the job as long as you want it. No problem there

Work/Life Balance - You schedule your own appointments, so you balance your own time.

Career Potential/Growth - um, yes. There are several promotions you can obtain while working with the company.

Location - You determine your appointments. Don't call someone 30 minutes away if you aren't willing to drive that far.

Co-worker Competence - I think my co-workers are pretty great.

Work Environment - the office is a nice place, and the in-home appointments are always nice. The people agreed to hear you out, so they're going to be nice and welcoming. And when you tell them that they dont have to buy anything, they are more willing to hear.

From Sacramento, Ca — 06/13/2010

I worked for Vector in the summer of 2008 and quit that winter.
I just re-newed my contract for this summer and I'm excited to start up again under a different manager and alongside another job.

Pay-3: A lot of people don't understand the pay process, you get either base pay for appointments if you don't sell or commission if you do-not both like some people believe. Pay attention in training you would have already known this.

Respect-2: That's hard to review for me. I didn't have the greatest respect from either of my managers which is why I'm selling for a new office this summer. One manager didn't understand that I didn't want this job to be my life. And the other...well I'll leave it at that.

Benefits-2: Independent contractors don't get benefits. Don't like it? Then get your own insurance.

Job Security-5: Nobody can ever fire you, they are always looking for assistant manager/branch contenders, if you stop selling you can come back anytime and start off from where you finished.

Work/Life Balance-3: It really depends on how good you are in the company

Career Potential/Growth-5: Similar comment to Job Security. Make however much you want to, all you have to do is put in the effort

Location-4: Really depends on where you live I guess

Co-worker Competence-5: I had the BEST time with my co-workers. We all supported and confided in each other probably because the majority of us were the same age with a few exceptions and it was everyones only job that summer. I met three of my current closest friends that summer.

Work Environment-5: Are we talking about going on appointments or spending time in the office? Either way both were enjoyable for me.

I've met some of the best people working here, and learned SO much about myself and others and great lessons about life and how buisnesses work. I wouldn't go back and trade my experience for the world, and I'm excited to get back into the company this summer.

From ND — 06/09/2010

I just started working there. the beginning "start kit" you have to buy makes sense. you can't sell something convincingly if you aren't a user of the product yourself. why isn't it in stores? because you can't SEE the quality that way. you have to sell to "family members and those you know, what a scam!" not. do you have to sell to them? yes. why? the same reason we don't go door to door or make cold calls: because they Know you. people respond to the praise of others they know about a product, not of the praise of straingers.

From Frankfort, KY — 05/31/2010

I just started working as a receptionist at Vector. I am the one who sets up the interviews. I'm only 19 and need money to pay my school loans and tuition. I get paid 8 dollars and hour which isn't bad at all because at a regular job i would be paid 7.25 an hour. Tho after seeing these reviews i feel awful about myself, like i am scamming people. I just can't quit the job tho cause i need the money. but every word i say on the phone to people is scripted. they won't let me say you have to buy 150 dollar start up kit and i always have to try and get the interview the same day. my manager is weird and stands basically over my shoulder the whole time and always criticizes that i have to get my show percentages up aka the amount of people i scheduled show up to the interview. I just wanted to share this and see what people thought?