Working at Vanguard — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Vanguard pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Vanguard

From Scottsdale, AZ — 02/20/2010

Some of these reviews are just plain shooking, from people who must not have realized they are going to be working, for the most part, in a call-center.

I have been with the company over five years and am still pleased. The pay is pretty decent considering the work most of the people are doing. Not sure why some comments think $34K a year is low to sit around talking on the phone all day - this is more than teachers make so stop complaining.

Respect needs to be earned, so if you are hard working then guess what, you get it from this company.

The benefits are AWESOME. As someone with the higher grade benefit plan (of which there are currently three) it only costs myself $150 monthly, and this has not gone up over the past two years. Some may think this is expensive, but the coverage is great, knowing first hand having used them for some pretty tough medical circumstances.

Work/life balance - I think that comes down to 1) your supervisor, and 2) how often you ask to take advantage of the flexibility. If you are on the late shift, and ask to leave early every Friday, then that is a problem. But if you do ask infrequently then I have never heard of an issue. People complaining about this are probably the employees who are constantly late and get written up for always being late.

Yes, some of the employees are complete idiots, but guess what, you run in to idiots everywhere you go, so why would work be any different? Unfortunately, you can't always make a case for firing these people.

The work environment is perfectly fine - always clean and safe.

From Malvern, PA — 11/18/2009

Contracted with the firm for approximately one year in a web professional role. I found the firm to be very professional. Middle-management was very receptive to ideas from any source and made contractors feel like part of the team. I'm sure the experience varies by department, but just about everyone I interacted with, from teammates to business representatives were hard-working and dedicated to producing the best quality work. I made many friends and mentors that helped my career in many ways even after leaving.

From Malvern, PA — 08/21/2009

I'm really astonished at the lousy ratings, but most seem to be from entry-level people who crashed into reality after college. People with real IT skills who know how to give 110%, behave in an ethical manner, and seek to do the right thing will do well at Vanguard. I've been there over ten years, and consider myself a "lifer". It's probably *not* the best place to start a career, but if you manage to make a career here, there is no better place to work--as long as you're willing to work. (That being said, parking lots are largely empty on Saturdays, and few people arrive before 7 or stay after 6. Pretty unusual.)

From Malvern, PA — 12/12/2008

I love Vanguard, I currently work there now as a phone associate in participant services and can't beleive these reviews. The pay is low but everything else is great. 10% of your salary in a 401k plus a 4% match is ridiculous. Let me see anyone beat that. My first year there I made over 34000 dollars with overtime included. That's not bad. Management has some real great folks, while some do seem like they just got in for diversity reasons. They look at your numbers but if you have competence and you like competition and you work, I mean really work while you are at work, then you will get recognized. They have time requirements with jobs, but jobs open up and if you are good at what you do you will be promoted. If you are never promoted there is a reason. I see so many folks come and just put in 7.5 hours and leave while overtime is offered. They want a promotion. haha. Come on. You have to kiss butt to get ahead? Yes you have to be professional, but I have never kissed a butt in my life and have no doubt that I will be on to bigger and better things. Lateral moves come with a 1000 dollar raise, while promotions come with a 10% increase. You also get a year end review and can get up to a 10% increase from that. Bonuses will probably start at around a little over a 1000 dollars your first year, then keep going up as long as the business does well each corresponding year. Your voice is heard, and you feel good when you leave work. I love this job, and will be working there a long time. I plan on going to get my MBA on their dime, and retire with a very nice sized 401k because of all the help that I have received.

From Charlotte, NC — 06/18/2008

Vanguard could be a great place to start your career if you don't have any idea what you want to do career wise. If you have goals you are trying to achieve then look else where. For example if you start out in a phone position please plan on answering those same phones for about 6 years before you can get to a position that is not on the phones. Management is always stating that there is an abundant opportunities for movement, hmph yeah they call it "lateral movement" meaning you will be doing the exact same thing just under a different department name. And speaking of management the team leaders micromanages which is extremely aggravating and irritating. Also Vanguard makes it really hard to take time off when you need it. You submit your time to have off and it seems like it never get approve, I mean you have the time you should be able to use it when you need to. It seems as though Vanguard is suppose to be the number one priority in your life and the truth is its not, its not even in my top 5. I will say its not all that bad, there is some power behind the name that make people raise their eyebrow and ask questions when they find out you work here, but that's about it. The compensation is ok but there are many other financial institutions that offer more than vanguard for the some positions. Lastly if you have a problem don't waste your time with HR (I know from personal experience) they will do nothing but put you on a "list" (which management say does not exist) and basically keep a watch on you. How do you like that? You went looking for help on how to deal and handle a situation but instead you get black balled.

From pa — 04/21/2008

The pay is what it is for the job. Problem is they do not pay you for loyalty, in fact after time you start noticing that new hires make more than you. Respect? I guess I can't complain, I have had worse bosses. However, they do micromanage far more than necessary. In addition, there is far too much management there. It really reminds me of Innatech from Office Space.
The benefits are extremely competitive there. You will not find anywhere else that compensates entry level employees the same period.
Work life balance. Well that depends where you work and what they expect from you. It is not too bad here either. If you want to go to grad school they are pretty flexible with tailoring a schedule that suits your needs, within reason.
Growth potential is limited. Not too many individuals wind up going in as a doing data entry associate to become the next CEO in any company. Problem here is that there are over 12,000 employees there and you must be the best of the best to get recognized. Interesting fact- more people get accepted to Harvard Business School then VG and most people there are not Harvard Business School material, so I will leave the deductive reasoning to the reader here.
Location: not too bad, it is centralized in the epicenter of corporate America.
The co-workers make the job tolerable. Most are aware of the situation and are compassionate towards there fellow worker. It is extremely competitive and that is a trait that they harvest in their extensive training; however, it is not hostile nor cut-throat. I will agree with a previous poster that it is rather clique-ish.
The work environment is slightly ridiculous. They have security guards patrolling as if it were Alcatraz and we are all harden criminals, but that seems to be the environment that they want to create. I suppose this is the companies major downfall. They tend to create unmatchable standards that make you feel inadequate and sub-par when not met. Here they call this subjective appraisal a dashboard and on this dashboard you are assigned a color to denote your competency; much like the old sociology study "Brown Eye- Blue Eye" study... kind of makes you feel like the middle child.

From Malvern, Pa — 03/22/2008

The job is what it is. You get very low pay coming into the job, and the only people who make bank are those with technical skills, have experience, work there for a long time, or are willing to trade of pay for perks. Everyone says that "Vanguard is the best place to start a career," therefore if you don't know where you are going they will take advantage of you. If you graduated with average or above average student loan payments don't work there to begin with them. They say that there is growth but only if you know someone, or go after a masters. There are people with MBA's there and not earning even an average pay. The bottom line is if you work there 3 to 7 years, till your vested in the 401k and you are comfortable, get out. Also, if you want a client-facing career, or accounting in the long run it is nice to start here. However, if that's not the case don't settle for vanguard. They pigeon hole everyone, and there are more likely to higher externally then from within regardless of your hard work and ability. Also, a lot of people lack personality, uptight, and cliquish (its almost like high school all over again).

From the start reguardless of what you are doing you get a minumum of 2 weeks paid time of, and you can get money for grad school. Also, what the company doesn't pay you, you do make up in benefits, so if you have a family or are wealthy you will love the insurance and discounts.