Working at Vanderbilt MIS — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Vanderbilt MIS pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Vanderbilt MIS

From Nashville TN — 04/15/2006

Vanderbilt is a good place to work. A lot of sharp developers, good benefits, good pay, and great location next to lots of tasty places to eat. Best ones are Perfect Pizza, Mellow Mushroom, Nick and Rudy's, and McDougals. Also, the Peabody Campus has a long tree-lined circle walk that's nice to take when thinking about the day's software problem.

The people that work there range from 20-year COBOL veterans to Jakarta Apache contributors. Different schools of thought, but it all seems to work well nonetheless.

The pay is average to competitive and the benefits are excellent. They will match 5% of your retirement contributions, and you get full health and dental. You start with 2-weeks paid vacation and 2 personal days. Best thing is everyone uses it, unlike some other places that frown upon you taking any time off. The work hours are very flexible, and they put family matters first.

Everyone seems very happy, not stressed about losing their jobs. People get along very well with one another even playing softball, poker, and xbox after work, or going to the Flying Saucer bar.

One gripe I have is that it's diplomatic to some degree, meaning if you are a star developer, you won't necessarily be recognized any differently, but I guess some would consider that a good thing. Another is that some senior developers are unqualified and the code quality suffers. For instance, the senior developer in my group hasn't done much modern programming, so is always trying to stuff things in a stored procedure and is very combative on changing views.

Overall a great place.