Working at ValueOptions — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about ValueOptions pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at ValueOptions

From Linthicum, MD — 12/07/2009

Pay is unfortunate. Company needs a solid direction with planning. No organization. Management is great. People are great.

From Latham, NY — 10/21/2009

I have been working for VO close to 4 years, and have worked in 2 different departments. In both departments, expectations are clear and for the most part reasonable. In the department where I started, management was very laissez faire. There needed to be more involvement, however managers also recognized the stress of working in this particular department and always gave credit where credit was due in the form of raises and promotion. The management in the department where I currently work is supportive, yet also hands off. I get the help I need when I need it, but am able to get my job done otherwise. I don't have people breathing down my neck. I am not the type of person that needs someone breathing down my neck to remind me to do my job. I've found that a majority of my co-workers also don't need constant watching.

Pay is above average, the company works to make sure what they are paying is competitive with multiple insurance companies in the area. Benefits are lackluster, however I am able to attend Weight Watchers meetings at work, and am partially reimbursed for the money spent. I've lost a significant amount of weight while working at VO. The work environment is fun, there are frequent 50/50 drawings and raffles. I've won a few times. Some of the proceeds from these drawings go towards local charities.

Job security is about average with any job. There have been lay offs, there have been efforts to move experienced employees into other positions when their positions have been eliminated. The potential for career growth is there, the company is large and opportunities are always available to make lateral and upward moves into other departments.

Overall, I like working for VO. In the current economic environment, I count myself lucky to be employed at all, and especially lucky to be working for a company that I strongly feel respects and appreciates its hardworking employees.

From Texas — 09/16/2009

We have got an exceptional team that has stayed over a long period of time. Management listens to ideas and implements them. We get a lot of praise for the things we do well. We're in public sector, so the funding isn't as great as we'd like, meaning the salaries aren't as great as we'd like, but they are ok for the industry. I'm surprised at the ratings of V/O in New York and New Jersey, as that is not our experience in Texas. V/O is in lots of other states and it is interesting that only a couple of states seem to be negative. I don't think that is representative of the whole company. The fact that very talented people stay for so many years in Texas indicates to me that it is a good working environment. There is stress, but it is more because of the nature of public sector work than because of the company. The work environment is friendly and supportive.

From Phoenix, AZ — 07/28/2006

Value Options VO has to pay a little above average to get anyone in the door and to have anyone stay for any amount of time. However with 60% turnover at the clinic I was at that still did not keep people.
CAREER POTENTIAL: I stayed nearly four years because of the pay, I was promoted twice, once from a re-org and once out of sheer desperation that they might get someone else completely incompetent. My boss's boss pretty much begged me then pushed me through to promote... in a nutshell I felt totally pushed into taking the position. This is no place to retire, no one stays very long unless they have no education and cannot make the same money due to the low pay valleywide. If you are competent and educated and don't get guilted into a promotion like I did you cannot be promoted unless you kiss a lot of ASS... there is just no other way to be promoted.
RESPECT: None, the more you work, the more work is put off on you, those that are shiftless and imcompetent stay FOREVER and get less work because management dosn't trust them to do anything. Those with no education stay and are just a drain, managing these people was nearly the death of me.
WORK/LIFE/BALANCE: I went on maternity leave for three months and was reminded of it for the next year by my superiors and peers. Even though I routinely worked 45-50 hours a week just to stay even they still did not appreciate it. After I got my masters I started trying to get out. Which made everyone jealous. They hate anyone that can get away and talk about wanting to leave themselves however they never leave. I could never keep employees at times they would leave for .25 more at some other job, or leave with no job at all like I did.
Many employees were sick of getting more and more work, state changes every other day and demanding, rude, demoralizing clients, many of them only with substance abuse problems not mental illness. The new hire training is a joke, they did not prepare the staff for what they were getting into. If I could keep someone a year that was a really long tenured staff member. Most left within months of coming aboard which burned out all the staff that remained.
LOCATION: It is great "if you live in the hood", if you live in any decent part of Phoenix, getting to any VO clinic is quite a pain.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Let's just say I came home and took a shower instantly when I got off of work, the toilets would always get clogged and I "as a supervisor" was expected to plunge it - came with the promotion.
There are many other companies in the valley to work for and I suggest anyone new coming out of college steer clear of VO, I wish I had.