Working at value village — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about value village pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at value village

From Ontario — 04/17/2010

I am an employee, I find the amount of work expected from you does not reflect the money we make.

We feel an overall change of Management would benefit the store.

From Scarborough, ON — 09/17/2009

I just started working part time at Value Village two weeks ago and this is my impression.

The pay is $9.50, which is minimum wage here, so it's not too bad (I mean, better than working at McDonalds for the same price). I usually work four or five hour shifts, every weekday (five times a week).

The managers and supervisors are really nice and respect the team members -- everyone pretty much gets along with each other and if you have any questions, they are more than happy to clarify things for you.

I read what the other people have to say about the whole privacy thing and the management inspecting your lockers and bags and purses. Well, that doesn't happen in my store. Every time I've finished a shift, I'd just tell my supervisor I was leaving, and she'd thank me for working that day, and I'd leave. I've never seen anyone have their personal belongings rummaged through by the management or anyone else. They probably do that at other stores because in the past one of the employees might have stolen from them and they want to prevent that from happening.

Anyway, the work/life balance is pretty good. I took a semester off school to work and take some special courses, so my schedule fits pretty well. I usually get the midday shift though (from 11am-4pm) so it's a bit frustrating that I have to plan my day around it and don't really start living until after work.

My co-workers are very helpful and when they see me doing something wrong, they tell me how I could do the work more efficiently and with less effort. Most of the work consists of picking clothes and housewares off the floor and putting it back on the racks/shelves, or putting stuff back to its proper place after shoppers misplace them. (Gotta do this for pretty much the whole shift unless you're taking old merchandise off the racks for recycling.)

I think one of the perks is that you can inconspicuously browse through the clothes while you're working and make a mental note of what you might want to buy later with your 50% discount (ie. Guess jeans and Parasuco jackets) :D

Overall, it's a pretty decent place to work, especially for a first job. The tasks are pretty mundane and repetitive, but you might get the odd customer who will ask for help deciding what to buy. Simple first job, not a lot of brainpower required, easy money I suppose if you don't mind being bored sometimes.

From Washington — 09/10/2009

I have worked for Value Village four Five years. I love my job. I Love/Hate Halloween. There is alot of choas, however, with that comes fun, enjoyment and a fast paced work environment. How can you not have fun whe you get to dress for Halloween for an entire month! If your unhappy, Tell someone. There are plenty of people that will listen. It's worth your time and effort.

From Sydney, NS — 12/11/2008

Minimum wage ($8.17). You're treated alright by management, but some of the co workers are rather unpleasant. The hours are great (8-4:30 with weekends off). The work environment is dirty though, mold everywhere and I developed a cough working there. There seems to be career growth; all the managers were once just basic workers.

From Mount Vernon, WA — 09/23/2008

The pay is minimum wage ($8.07) which kind of sucks but I suppose the employee discount makes up for it a bit. I don't feel completely like I'm just a number but I don't exactly feel like a fellow human either on most days. One supervisor is extremely fun and has a good sense of humor but the other that I usually work with can be cold and irritable which really wears on me. The location sucks because it's outside of the main shopping town and the bus system in this area is terribly useless for anyone who works past 8pm. I feel like I was a bit thrown into things without a whole lot of training. The computer training mostly just taught me about the history of the company and about how I'm expected to behave and not much about how things actually work (all voids, paging system, return policy, etc.) I've been put on call one day a week which is a huge pain because when I was hired I explained that I needed a schedule consistent to the bus schedule and they agreed but never came through. It's a job that I don't mind but I'm not really attached to it and I feel no loyalty for Savers.