Working at Valeo Sylvania — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Valeo Sylvania pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Valeo Sylvania

From Seymour, IN — 04/05/2010

Pay..In Engineering, slightly better than most jobs in the area, but you give a lot of free hours. I don't expect that it is out of line with any salaried position in the area.

Respect.. A lot of respect from my supervisor and the other Engineers. Once you go up a level, the respect does tend to get a little lower now. This is a recent change that is related to the fact that our new Director of Engineering is from Valeo France, our new President is from Valeo Europe Engine Cooling Division (little or no lighting experience) , our interim Director of Programs is from Marketing, and our new CFO is younger than my 20 year old (ok...just looks younger). The recent top management changes affect other aspects of the job that I will get into later.
Benefits..comparable to most factories in the area. We do still have retirement AND 50% match on 401K to 6%!!!!:)
Job Security .. Ahhh...the meat of the issue.. It appears to me that Valeo has embarked on a clever scheme to pull profits from the joint venture with Osram. I understand that we needed to get reduce staff during the slowdown. The interesting thing is that the management changes happened during and after our slowdown and the new Valeo-led direction is to source most of the design back to Valeo, source most of the injection mold tooling through the Valeo tool source committee, and use temp workers for most of the Engineering that must be done in Seymour. Valeo charges a premium for any work performed for the JV, soaking out profits. If the JV shows break even or a loss over a period of time, than Osram's share of the JV can be purchased at a bargain. This will also allow Valeo France to retain resources in a tough market, protecting the home turf. Notice also that almost everything new is headed to Mexico, which appears to have much closer ties to Valeo France than Seymour. My prediction is that we will continue to cut back in Seymour, stay close to break even or stay in the red some, and continue to move assets and programs to Mexico so "we can stay competitive". Within three years (Joe's contract term), we may see manufacturing eliminated at Seymour. Engineering will exist a little longer to train Mexico how to operate if Valeo France does not step in to perform that duty. Joe will have a double coup by getting the labor rate down for North America about the same time that Valeo buys out Osram. The Osram kid CFO is left wondering what the hell happened while Joe climbs higher in the Valeo org chart. Our Director of Engineering steps up right with him. Now I could be wrong about all of this. However, if I were high enough on the Valeo corporate ladder, that is a plan that I would consider. I actually admire what I see going on...it appears to be very coordinated and optimizes the fears of the current automotive market. For now, I hope the market recovers enough that it makes sense to keep Seymour around. All it takes is a few ticks in market share and someone in a "bored" meeting to say.."hey, let's keep Seymour". And you better believe that all of our jobs hang on something as simple as a comment one way or another at the highest levels of a company the size of Valeo. IT MAKES SENSE FROM A FINANCIAL STANDPOINT TO DO ALL THE ENGINEERING IN CHINA AND EUROPE AND ALL NA PRODUCTION IN MEXICO. And while some of the management in our plant may or may not care about you, Valeo Europe cares about itself much more than you and needs to protect itself right now. That is just good business for them.
Work/Life Balance .. For me personally, better than most other jobs that I've had.
Career Growth .. Very poor in Seymour, Excellent if you are willing to relocate. Trust me on this, some areas of Valeo Engineering are very weak compared to Seymour. I've seen their struggles with optics, thermal validations, and simple design guidelines. They are NOT very good in some areas. This means that they WILL jump on the chance to keep some of us. It seems that they had the same strategy that Christophe brought....use contractors and suppliers for expertise. They seem to buy into the theory that if you set enough procedures in place, than someone straight from college can do it. ASK Toyota how using procedures, contractors, and suppliers have worked out.
Location is good for me.
Co-worker Competence....hard to judge anymore since there have been so many changes. Still some very intelligent people there working their tails off trying to hope for the best.
Work Environment...... I absolutely loved it until mid-year 2009. I believed that this would be the job that I would retire from. Not sure anymore just because I'm not sure the place will still be open. All that said, I will probably be one of the people riding the ship down if it happens and bailing all the way because I do really like it there and also because I don't think it is fair to say that Valeo Sylvania is going through anything different than any other company right now other than the JV politics. They are interesting to watch and we shall see how that plays out.

From Seymour, IN. — 12/12/2008

Pay... is about right for the area. Respect... depends on who you are. Benefits... could be better. Job security... don't look to good right now but thats the way things are all over. Work/life balance... is alright. We all have to make a living. Career/growth... there is'nt any. Location...Depends on where you live DAH!!! Co-worker competence...For the most part the co-workers do a good job but management is another story. Work Environment...I've worked in worse.

From seymour in — 11/21/2008

its a job, the work isnt hard, at times the overtime has been unreal. But im just happy to have this job, ive been there for 14 years, ive bought my first home since i started working there. Im 50 years old, and im proud of my job, the work i do there, and the people i work with. Management can be a pain, but some of the coworkers can be also. you take the good with the bad, and remember happy is always there to ask you hows it going. The factory is close to my home, my family works there. Its making a life for us. so i appreciate it. And in these hard economic times we are still working so they must be doing something right

From Seymour IN — 11/11/2008

I think the pay is very comparable or better to other factories. Hours aren't bad and location is great as far I'm concerned. Right now job security could be better, but hey, watch the news...it's everywhere!!!
Co-Worker competence could be better. Seems like each department has a few good people doing all the work while others just screw around.
I've been to HR many times and have always received the help I needed. Show some respect for your surroundings and co-workers and you just might receive some respect back. Everyone wants to be treated as an adult, but lately I see very few people acting like an adult. GROW UP AND GET BACK TO WORK!!! or quit if you absolutely hate it. Get over it--Let the anger go!

From Seymour In. — 11/11/2008

Valeo Sylvania
I have been reading a lot of crap from some of you dead beats, if you think Valeo is such a bad place to work, then why don't you quit. There are plenty of people who would love to have your job. Why don't you try standing on the back of a trash truck in the dead of winter, or go work out at Rose Acre Farms scooping up chickin poop for 8 hours a day. No place is purfect, and we all have to give a little at times. I have worked at a lot of places over the years, and I have yet to see any place I have been to be purfect. I have met all kinds of people over the years, and there have been good and bad. But it is people like you who complain all the time that makes the work invirement bad. If you would just shut up and do your own job, and not worry what is going on with other people, then you would't have time to complain. No it's people like you, who just want to start trouble and get people all stured up. Yes we do have some supervisors who have their pets, that get away with things. But I'll bet if you were one of them, then you wouldn't be on here complaining. There are supervisors that do things that we would get fired for, if the upper management knew about it. I have seen reject tags riped off skids, and the product sent to other locations to be built into lamps, without any checking for any more bad parts. Some part have even been sent out the door after a reject tag has been riped off. And we wonder why bad parts get to the customers,and why we are loosing customers. All supervisors are not bad, but the few that are makes the whole place look bad. If you think you can do a better job than the ones we have, then go for it, let see how long you last. I know your type, sorry dead beat, poor excuse of a person. Always crying because you can't get your way, you know why no one likes you? It's because you are always complaining, I have to do this or why do I have to go there. My supervisor don't like me. Well you dead beat cry baby, did you ever stop and think that maybe the reason the supervisor chose you is because you were the best person for the job. Someone he/she knew they could count on to do the job wright. Sure I have been told to do things I didn't like, I do a lot of things I don't like. But it all ends well when my boss hands me my pay check.
If this makes you mad, then all I have said, must have been right on the money,you are a dead beat cry baby, always looking for ways to start trouble, and keep people stured up. So do us all a favor and quit we don't people like you at Valeo.

From Seymour, IN — 11/06/2008

Great place to work, the pay is about average and the coworkers are great people to be around. The healthcare is hight priced but it is a need for me so i just deal with it. A few of management are rude but overall I have been treated with respect by most I have been there for 10 years and will be there for many more! Car sales are down and I still get my 40hr week so somebody Is doing something right and I thankfull for that!!!!!!!!!

From Seymour Indiana — 11/04/2008

All in all a good place to work. As with any company, has it problems, nothing major as far as I consider. Pay is good, pretty good benefits. They don't always listen to what the employee wants.

From Seymour, In — 11/02/2008

The place is not as bad as some have written. We work for a company that has been profitable for 30 years in an industry that has lost money for the last 5 years. We still have full insurance (health, eye, dental), and a company funded pension. Our wages are OK, not great but we have recieved raises every years for the past 30 years. Name one union plant that has done that. We need to shut up, do our best, and hope we can stay profitable so our families will have good jobs (not perfect) in the future.

From Seymour, IN — 10/30/2008

Valeo isn't a bad place to work. As far as pay goes, I'm content with how much I make...it could be better sure, but it could be worse. I am respected by my supervisor, but not so much by my coworkers...seems like we're all in it for ourselves and we're not a team. Benefits are great in my opinion - the fact that I can still get my pension in a few years when I retire is enough to make me smile. Can't really complain about job security because of the way the economy is going right now...my job is as "secure" as anyone elses at another company. Work/Life balance gets in the way sometimes...I understand we need to meet shipments and whatnot, but sometimes I don't think the planning is done well ahead of time. Career growth is okay - if I wanted to move up, I could - but I also have a lot of seniority to do so.....not really sure how it would work if I wanted a nonhourly job.

From seymour in — 10/29/2008

the days of making big bucks is over. we at valeo make good wages for this area of the country. if you dont believe me look for a job elsewhere and see how much they offer.same with benefits and job security.there are only so much career potential/growth within a company,but i do think they could look within the seymour facility for people who would make good supervisors,and upper management. after all most of us have worked here a long time and have good ideas as to how to make our company a better place. most of us live in jackson and surrounding counties so location is ok.work/life balance i have a responsibility to valeo to be here my 8 hour shift and valeo shouldnt demand that i be here more than that unless there is a problem like machine repair, high demand for product,etc. you wouldnt like it if your baby sitter called in every other day because they were sick so dont expect sylvania to like it when some people call in sick once a week. these are the people who make it hard on the rest of us!
i work with some people who should be fired for their incompetence they make the same money that i do yet when something needs to be done our supervisors always come to the people who can do what they know needs to be done this is one unfair thing that goes on. finally, stop doing stupid things like moving people from one place to another every few days leave us in one place! let us get good at what we are doing instead of having us guess what we are doing,or where we will be doing it at every day we come in