Working at USIS — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about USIS pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at USIS

From U.S. — 10/01/2010

Well, I’ve been reading this site now for several months, and finally feel compelled to chime in. Therefore, here are my three cents regarding some of the most recent and frequently mentioned topics:

1. When did “profit” become such a bad word in this country? Last time I checked, most companies exist to provide goods and services to people who want or need them in turn to make a profit. Does Wal-Mart want to make a profit? Does Microsoft want to make a profit? Does the corner deli in your local town want to make a profit? I believe the answer to these and to any other company you can name is “yes”. USIS is a company that provides goods and service to people who want or need it, and they rightly deserve to make a profit. Usually all of this bad-mouthing “profit” talk is reserved for “Big Oil” (but that’s a topic for another board), So please stop vilifying this company, or frankly any other company for wanting to make a “profit“. Bonus points for anyone who can post the difference between the following: gross profit, net profit, EBITA. Know the difference and use the correct terminology.

2. Background Investigations is an inherently government function. HA! Please, the government can’t even run the education system, and you want to entrust them with national security. Yes, those things you call “public schools” are nothing more than “government schools”, and look at the sad state of affairs there (again, a topic for another board). I would much sooner have the background investigation process in the hands of private companies who want to turn out a thorough, quality, and timely product. This in turn will generate more business which in turn will generate more…wait for it….here it comes...that evil word again…PROFIT. USIS is paid and earns its’ share of the contract based on the work it performs. The government is paid every two weeks when taxes are taken from my paycheck. The government has no incentive to do a good job.

3. There also seems to be quite the discussion regarding falsification on ROIs, timesheets, and overall not doing a thorough job on your cases. Well my comment to this is, if you are aware of it and don’t report it you are just as guilty (in my book). However, if this is something you just assume because so-and-so on your team hasn’t missed any ACDs and you believe they are working off the clock, I say prove it or shut up about it. Perhaps instead of being ticked off about it, ask them what they do to ensure timely closures. You might actually pick up a good pointer.

In closure, a great leader in this company once gave the advice that if you say something negative, you should say ten positive comments that day to make up for it. So before I am called corporate a** kisser, brown-noser, drinking the kool-aide, or any of the other names I’ve seen. I challenge each and every one of you who posts a response to this to end with one positive comment about your co-worker(s), TL, DM, BUOM, VP, or the company as a whole. You may find it brightens your outlook.

So here is my positive, CONGRATS to all of the teams who received the $250/$500 morale money incentive for being 95/97% ACD compliant in P12. I am sure your TLs, DMs, etc. are all very proud. You should be proud as well. I am sure you all worked extremely hard and are deserving of such recognition and reward. Funny how I haven’t seen this mentioned in any of the other posts. Coincidence

From Western PA — 09/25/2010

Pay- -4 because the pay is a joke.
Respect- hahaha
Benefits- 1 because they're alright but i've had a lot of problems with our carrier
Job Security 2- On the one hand, we hold hte largest slice of the OPM contract, but they'll fire you for anything.
Work/Life Balance- 4 If they're going to pay me this ridiculous crappy salary, I'll be sure to take plenty of time for myself. Not worth the stress.
Career Potential/Growth- ummmm none. The highest an Fi with USIS gets paid anywhere is $80K. No way, jose.

Location- Work from home and around town.

Co-Worker Competence.- Locally, it's great. Dealing with reviewers and others in WPA is a diff story....

Work Environment- Ummm my house? It's grea!

From Virginia — 08/26/2010

I'm surprised to see all the negative comments about USIS. I've been with the company for almost a year and I have been very impressed. I am treated well and the training has been great. My TL has been supportive and responsive to my needs/concerns. It appears each of the TL's here and the DM work very hard to provide a nice atmosphere to work in. I think I have a real future here with the company. I know review is sometimes a bit nit-picky, but they're just trying to ensure we produce a high quality work product. Maybe some of you that are complaining have never been out of work or haven't had other jobs to compare to USIS. Maybe you should quit complaining and put your nose to the grindstone and try harder. You might find that an extra effort will be recognized and rewarded by USIS. Give it a try!

From Georgia — 07/23/2010

My position at this company has been a perfect fit for me. It has always treated me fairly and rewarded me based on my performance.

From in the u.s. — 06/30/2010

I've been with USIS for two years and everyone who complains is a bunch of whiners. (Although I do understand this is a forum to vent). You all should lucky that you have a job because there is a lot of people out there who will kill to have the opportunity to work and pay their bills. I am not a DM, a TL, a WLL or a kiss asser, but a hard working FI. I do my job and I come home to my family. I know this job has a lot of demands, but tell me a job that doesn't have any. I believe that if you don't like your job, QUIT and move on. Find your greener pastures and good luck. Remember, there's a lot more of us who work hard and we do our best. I know I'm going to get a lot of slack and lots of :hate you responses, but SO WHAT... I just hope that anyone who reads this shouldn't be swayed by all of the hatred against this company.

From Los Angeles, CA — 06/07/2010

Ridiculous expectations. The new WLL Dashboard does not allow for zoning and timelines are tighter than ever. They don't fire incompentent employees. Opportunities are handed to the cute, young good ole boys and girls that hang out in the office all of the time.....You can't compete because you are actually in the field working. Take a look around, there are very few people in my field office who are over 40 years old......interesting....

From South Dakota — 06/02/2010

Judging from some of the reviews I've just read I'm going to be in the minority of those responding. I've been with USIS just over 10 years and I'm happy with my job. I've received promotions and raises at a pace reflecting my skill, experience and hard work. I am retired military and have a typical midwestern work ethic... I bust my butt at whatever I do. Like most of you, I would like to be paid more...who wouldn't. But I feel I have been treated fairly by USIS. I've been fortunate to work for some very good bosses and most of my teammates are capable, competent and hard working. My greatest concern is the lack of a replacement for ESOP. This may be a new term for some of the newer employees, but when I started with USIS (actually US Investigations Services at that time) we were all co-owners in the Employee Stock Option Plan. We each had a financial stake in the company and it made a difference in how you approached your job - you were a co-owner/stock holder. I truly hope that we see an IPO one of these days because I'd like to buy back into the company (again I think it's a good place to work and a good investment). This was a major benefit that has not been replaced for 7 years now.

From Midwest Girl — 06/02/2010

I have worked for USIS for 8 years and the experience is what you make of it and what individuals put into it. There are a great deal of demands on all of us, but that is any job. While it is not the perfect environment, how many people can say they got substantial raises last year in the economic climate we are in. The majority of investigators here did. When I have concerns, I take them to who they need to go to and they are heard. Does that mean everytime I say something, changes are made, no. Life isn't that easy. This company takes feedback and attempts to evolve, maybe it doesn't happen in the way everyone likes. I have a job that pays fairly well, I am respected by my peers, I have benefits available to me, I have a boss who listens to what I say, even if it isn't always positive. If I am willing to move, I can have any number of jobs across the nation. This job has been the best move I have ever made.

From pa — 05/18/2010

PAY - sure it's not terrific, but let's face it - it's better than NO job !
RESPECT - guess most of you don't have the TL and Manager that I have. They encourage me and are concerned about my life, not just work life. Sorry you can't all have these two !
benefits - what more do you all want? everything paid for? get real, it's 2010, there is NO employer that does that any more.
JOB SECURITY - is there any at any employer? I've worked for this company for almost 10 years and I can tell you, if the company has seen your past performance and your job is "eliminated" - another position is available for you. Seen it happen time and time and again. Before you all shout me down, no, it's not ALL based on who you know !
BALANCE - well, yes and no. That being said, when I was hired, I was told up front there would be OT. Everyone agrees to this in order to get hired, but when it's time for the rubber to hit the pavement, it's a different story.
GROWTH - can't comment on this as I am very happy where I am and have no desire to go "further up the ladder".
LOCATION - great now that I'm not underground.
CO-WORKER COMPETENCE - same as everywhere else I' ve ever worked.
ENVIRONMENT - could be better and let's just leave it at that.

The one and only gripe I have is that this company seems it's getting wayyyyy top heavy. It's no wonder we need to make more and more $.

From EVERYWHERE, US — 05/11/2010

SERIOUSLY...WHAT WOULD IT TAKE TO START A UNION!?