Work at USAA — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about USAA pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at USAA

From Phoenix, AZ — 08/05/2009

USAA is a great company to work for and I recommend this job to others everyday. I relocated from Sacramento to Phoenix because of an office closure and the company paid for everything. They even hired my husband. I decided to relocate because I could never get paid what I get paid here and I have never had a company show their appreciation so much. Yearly bonus in Feb., a bonus in december, and a great 401k package. How many people can say they got a performance bonus last year? Promotions are everywhere if you do a good job. If you are an avarage person that doesn't stand out or show that you are trying to go above avarage then you probably won't get promoted. But if you shine then the promotions keep coming. As far as schedules, you do have to work Saturdays for a certain amount of time but as soon as Saturdays were no longer required which was about 6 months, I put in for a schedule change and got it. USAA only fires people when absolutely necessary. They work hard to cut employee retention and you must have done something really outrageous to get fired. As far as work/life balance, you get like 31 days off a year! And that is in your first year. The longer you are here the more time you get, who can complain about that. Well anyone who complains probably does not deserve to work for USAA.

From San Antonio, TX — 10/15/2008

The company is a great place to work! I/T is a great experience and I have loved it!

Of course every big company has it's drawbacks, the red tape, etc, etc

But this company is great! MOST employees love it!

From Phoenix, AZ — 09/20/2008

USAA was a fine place to work. I moved away from the area, so I have had to experience what it is like to work at another company. USAA requires their employees to be the BEST. I know I was challenged on a daily basis. It is frustrating to know that management will ALWAYS find something wrong with a call. Other than that, I really miss my old job.

From Phoenix, AZ — 09/15/2008

USAA is a great company when it comes to having stress free life, not working overtime, food and exercise on site and have overall great benefits. Co-workers are intelligent and goal-oriented for the most part. USAA does a great job completing a background check to ensure everyone that is hired is of quality.

On the other hand, they don't focus on quality files, intelligent decisions, or saving the company money through your file handling. If you want a raise at the end of the year then you need to have quaility referrals of all types, send emails to your insured and other items which are not based of intelligent decisions. There is not a lot of movement if you are looking for a promotion.

If you are looking for an easy job where you can collect a paycheck then this is the job for you.

From Tampa, FL — 12/13/2007

Just a note: USAA IS a financial company. Don't think because you work in one part, Property and Casualty, that you are it!!!! Love the place, Love our Members. The employees (and former employees) vent here because they LOVE our members to! Claims has never has been an easy job. Room for improvement? Huge!!! but come down to it, the company had to change or go broke. There are still some very old resistant employees who dream of the old days where they just skated through the day. No such luxury I'll admit! I go home tired every single day and earn every penny. Get off it though, the pay and benefits are the best!!!! I may go home tired, but I get to go home. Progressive gives you a lap top so you can work at the dinner table! Really.... Coworkers are getting better. The new group is taking over which has been great to see.

From Tampa, FL — 11/12/2007

USAA was the absolute best place to work that I have seen/heard of yet! I was with them for three years as a claims adjuster, and only left because I had to move 300 miles away to be closer to my ailing mother. (cue the violins)

The atmosphere in general is extremely professional, and it is a VERY monitored and documented environment. They have very specific goals and criteria that employees must meet in order to 1) stay employed 2) receive benefits and 3) apply for promotions. Which I think is FANTASTIC! All of the above is based on very clear, attainable goals rather than how well an employee can shmooze or talk themselves up at the end of the year.

In my three years with them, I was promoted three different times. While the entry-level pay isn't stellar, they are VERY quick and as I mentioned above, very fair about their raises, bonuses and promotions. And once you get past the entry-level job the pay goes from decent to pretty amazing. Especially when you factor in the benefits, which includes 401 matching, TUITION REIMBURSEMENT, free health-care dollars, retirement, and more!

As far as job security - it's true that USAA has a hard time staying fully-staffed, so there is always plenty of work for everybody! And it was my experience that you had to really TRY to get fired there...management was quick to put you on a disciplanary plan if you earned it, but they would also work very hard to keep their employees! They definitely believed in 2nd and 3rd chances!

Work/Life balances - AWESOME! They have a LOADED on-site gym, on-site day-care, on-site cafeteria...and with their tuition reimbursement, I had both the time and the money to work on my Master's degree and work a full-time schedule. They never (outside of catastrophe-handling time) required overtime or any hours outside your normally scheduled ones. They would always allow you to stay and work overtime if you requested it, but they never required it.

The location of the Tampa office is great, as well! It's in new-Tampa, so the area is clean, bright and very well-maintained. The campus is gated and very secure, and also features tennis courts, a soccer field, a picnic pavilion and a walking trail around the lake. FANTASTIC!

While I certainly wasn't close friends with all (or even many) of my coworkers, I never had any of the problems that I have since encountered in other jobs with cliques, morale, laziness, gossip and so on. USAA has strict requirements for all applicants, and I think they do a great job of making sure they hire only competent, intelligent and engaged employees!

And they keep you motived with annual company-wide bonuses that ranged from 13% of each employee's base salary, up to 18%! I have never heard of that anywhere else! Also, 2 weeks additional salary for Christmas, plenty of vacation hours and I believe 12 paid holiday days that the entire office recognized.

I miss that place. If I could get my husband to move to Tampa, I would go back to USAA in a heartbeat!

From San Antonio, TX — 09/23/2007

I worked in a call center for USAA for two plus years. I loved working for them and while I'm sure things have changed since I left, I have to simply state my experience. The pay was actually pretty good for what I did (customer service call center). Not to mention the annual bonus we received every year (the last one I got was 18% of annual salary) AND the 2 week Christmas bonus. The benefits weren't much of an issue for me because I used my husband's benefits. One of the best benefits from USAA was paying me $5250 per year to finish my bachelor's degree. Job security was great for those who performed well. I rarely knew of anyone in my department being fired unless they were doing things that were against corporate policy. Work/Life balance was great. I worked full-time and went to school full-time AND still had a life. The location was great for me. Co-worker competence varied, but most of the people I worked with did know their jobs very well. The work environment is what I miss. The company culture is wonderful...birthday celebrations, contests for trips, money, etc, overtime if you want it (and it's not forced)...I really miss USAA!

I was NOT in a manaagement position so I'm sure my perception is different from those higher up.