Working at USAA — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about USAA pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at USAA

From COlorado Springs, CO — 10/20/2010

I worked as an auto claims adjuster at USAA Colorado Springs for about 2 years. I really liked the company for the most part. I was promoted twice in 2 years and the received pretty decent raises. When I left i was making over $19/hour. Let's face it though, it's a call center environment and they make that pretty clear during the interview process. It can be very stressful at times. There were about 120+ adjusters doing the same job as me and there were only about 5-10 of us that kept up with our files. It is a very demanding job and it can be hard to have a work/life balance. They put a lot of emphasis on having your degree. They would promote idiots with degrees before they promoted people who could actually do the job. They encourage you to go back to school but it can be very challenging, especially since most adjusters had to work over time just to try and keep up with files. I was able to keep up with my work load but it didn't come without stress. The only reason I left is because my husband is in the military and we had to move. Otherwise, I would still be working there. With that said, I would've probably had to go on anxiety medicine if I had stayed.

From Tampa, FL — 10/16/2010

If you're an educated person with common sense and you work hard then you'll move up in the company and be rewarded.

From san antonio, Tx — 08/21/2010

Hey, it's a call center. How can anyone love a call center?. This is one of the better ones I have worked in.
Weak front-line management since most have been there for decades. All in all, not a bad place to work

From San Antonio, TX — 07/21/2010

I worked in the IT department and can say it is not as bad as a lot of these reviews make it out to be. I imagine working in policy service is quite different, either way I would say it has more to do with who you work for/with. I felt the biggest problem was that there were too many people at some management level who really didn't have a clue about what they were managing. I believed this is why they spend so much time trying to manage people instead of concentrating on improving processes.
I can honestly say my average work week was easily below 40 hrs (I was salary). That is not to say I did not have some long nights or weekends when needed, but I always made sure I made up for it with a few 3 hr days, 18 holes at lunch, etc. That is great for work life balance, but it will not get you promoted. I never understood the people always talking about how they put in 60, 70+ hours, until I found out management was more impressed with how many hours you work (or reported) instead of what you produced. I believe it is an unwritten policy that you must put in 20% overtime as a salaried employee to get promoted.
They also have no idea how to utilize people when it comes to IT. What are you supposed to think when you come to USAA for a fairly high level technical position making 6 figures and get put on the help desk. Then have to hear your boss complain because you make more than he/she does.
What I have said about management does not reflect every one of them at usaa, there are actually some very good ones who do know what they are managing and are concerned about the people they manage being happy. I would definitely go back to work there if I every get to a point in my life where living in San Antonio would be ideal.

From Sacramento — 07/08/2010

I retired from USAA after 23 years of service. I read all these negative reviews and I can understand why they have been made. I worked for USAA during the "golden" era of McDermott and Herres. After the "CIT" debacle the company started a slow change which turned the company (all offices) into a giant call center. I was a claims field employee (outside) and took an inside manager postion. That was a huge mistake. The last few years under the Davis regime were intolerable. The pressure on the employees to handle their claims, take calls for other employees, sell products on every call, endure phone monitoring and constant criticism was overwhelming. Claims adjusters were given many more claims than could be handled properly. The claims load was always increasing, but we never got new employee authorizations. Every month there was a new duty that was piled on to their workload. We used to call it "the new flavor of the month". The phone availabilty statistics they kept were mind numbing. As a manager, I felt sorry for my employees, but there was very little I could do.

When I started working at USAA the environment was friendly and loose. We worked hard, we worked independently, thought for ourselves and the managers respected us. Overall, I had a good run, but the last few years were stressful, I hated it.

I must say that the pay and benifits were great.

From San Antonio, TX — 06/07/2010

USAA is an excellent company to work for. I would not have guessed that after five years at USAA I'd be thinking of spending the rest of my career here, but I can't imagine leaving at this point. From the work I do to the team I work with, I'm extremely happy to be here. I do work hard along with my teammates, but its very rewarding. This company receives endless awards and in large part I am sure that is due to the quality of the workforce. Plus in the recent terrible economic conditions this company has never been stronger.

The benefits are excellent - anyone who says otherwise quickly makes it obvious they are disillusioned. I must say that I'm in IT, and so I can not fully empathize with those who are/were member service reps however I do have a tremendous amount of respect for those that do work the phones. I'm sure it could be really tough.

One thing that you have to realize is that with over 20K employees and I'm sure something like 15K in service rep positions you are going to have to weed out some of the dead wood on an ongoing basis. With that you are going to have a decent number of people let go like the majority of those that seem to be "venting" on this website. With all due respect there is clear bitterness within most of the negative posts that are in many cases untruthful about the work environment here. Seeing someone let go has been infrequent in my experience here, and I've never seen a solid employee fired...its only been poor performers who probably didn't belong here in the first place.

This place isn't perfect, but I'm one of thousands of employees here that love my job. I have plenty of opportunity to go somewhere else, but I have no plans to do so anytime in the near future and if I ever due I'm sure it will be a very tough choice based upon the things I would have to leave behind.

From Sacramento, Ca — 04/20/2010

I rated job security as a -1 because I lost my job when they closed their Sacramento, Ca. office. I was offered a position if I moved to a different state but that didn't seem like a reasonable option to me. I was there for 1.5 years and the association seemed pretty good and the people are pretty decent to work with and for. As far as office jobs go I couldn't complain. I believe the pay is a bit less than other companies for the same position but the benefits were quite good and the facility we worked in was very nice.

From Colorado Springs — 04/08/2010

I have seen a lot of negative reviews here and I'm happy to say that I have had a totally opposite experience so far. I have been exceedingly happy so far. Lets get to some important stuff first. They pay very competitively. I got a fairly substantial raise compared to my last job, which was comparable to what I do now. They blow everyone out of the water with benefits. They pay $5,500 UP FRONT for any education expenses after 90 days, and that can be raised to $10,000 with approval. They have great health insurance that includes a medical expense account that they provide. They put $1000 in each year and it rolls over every year up to $7,500. Just charge your Visa and you never pay out of pocket at all. It gets even better if you accumulate health points (fortaking exams and eating right). They will take another $300 off of your insurance cost each year. Awesome gym. They rebate your membership fees up to 75% based on how many visits you clock each year. Awesome cafe that really does have healthy food (it's expensive though). They really care about your health and well being. There is on site massage, counseling, and a nurse.

I am a Member Relations Specialist with USAA. I have just been trained and certified and I am on the floor taking calls. My entire training class was competent and professional as are almost the entire staff that I work with. Having worked in several call centers, including competing insurance companies, I can say that USAA is by far the most professional, hardest working, most dedicated, and the most fun. Everyone I have met so far is respectful and believes that they are making a difference. Of course being in a call center means that you are monitored. You have metrics that they tell you about up front just like any other call center job and they want you to perform. Know that ahead of time. It is part of your job. Ask questions and you won't be surprised. They won't lie to you. Your calls are also audited. You have to be comfortable with it. They are not criticizing you. They are telling you that there are ways that you can do things better, even if the call was almost perfect in every way. That is called dedication to the customer. My coaches have never been condescending or rude at all. My manager is very happy go lucky and has all sorts of prizes, team activities, and celebrations without making you feel like you are in preschool again like my last employer did.

USAA is diverse. They recognize and accommodate any race, religion, or sexual preference.

USAA uses a trend based attendance policy. If you are gone four times a month there is a problem. If you are gone every other Monday there is a problem. If you are sick, need a snow day, a simple break because you are stressed, or just can't get time off for something you want to do and you miss work, you will not be fired for it. If you talk to your manager you can pretty much get anything you need taken care of. You just have to tell them what is going on and they will help you. If they won't, another one will.

I have had nothing but good experiences here so far and I plan on staying as long as we both feel that I am doing a good job.

One thing to keep in mind though is that you are not going to just move up from the bottom to a VP position overnight. They want to see dedication and they expect you to do the job that you were hired for, not see you move 12 months after you show up.

I highly recommend USAA, especially to those who are trying to work and go to school or get professional designations. They make it almost free and very easy.

From San Antonio, TX — 10/17/2009

I have had the pleasure of working at USAA for the past 5 years. One thing is certain in this company, you get back what you put in. I have worked hard to move up in the company and have gotten back alot in return. My salary has doubled since I began working there, the benefits are excellent, I receive alot of appreciation and gratitude from all of the management, and there is incredible growth potential. If you want an easy job where you aren't expected to perform, USAA is not the place for you. You will work hard every day you are there. But the harder you work, the quicker the clock ticks, and the sooner you get home. Give your all while you are there and leave work at work. I am a salaried employee and I have an excellent work/life balance. It is completely manageable with a husband, a family, and oh yeah... did I mention USAA was paying for me to get my MBA? Incredible company that I feel privledged to work at. Employees should feel grateful for the incredible company that is USAA. In these times where many financial companies are closing their doors, USAA is giving sizeable performance bonuses. Yes it is true that the pension plan is not anything like it was in the good old days. But if that didn't change, would USAA be able to stay afloat??? It's up to each employee to plan for their own retirement. USAA contributes 8% to your 401k, pays for short term disability, offers 6 weeks vacation per year, offers many free programs for counseling, contributes far more than 90% of other companies when it comes to healthcare... I could go on. How many companies can say that?

From TAMPA, FL — 08/05/2009

I have a good perspective in which I have worked for other insurance carries. From experience, other carries work you to death and treat the employees like garbage. Working here is the best decision I made.