Working at US Coast Guard — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about US Coast Guard pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at US Coast Guard

From Miami, FL — 05/17/2010

After 10 years of service in the Army, and now 4 years in the Coast Guard, I can tell you there are not many comparisons besides the pay scales. As a member in the Coast Guard, you will have all the respect your position deserves, have many opportunities to further your education, tons of considerations for your family, and a great overall lifestyle.

From Boston, MA — 05/31/2009

As an E7 with 20 years of service, I can say some aspects of the Coast Gurad are fantastic. Unfortunatley, others are very poor. The Coast Guard is all about political correctness, and it promotes heavily based on race and gender. I've seen some gregious examples of reverse discrimination. A new disturbing trend is the growing civilain component of the CG, which is being allowed to create niches within the infrastructure and basically rape the CG and treat the military members however they feel. The Coast Guard is really going down hill, very sad.

Are there still members who embody the spirit of rescue a sea? You bet, but they are quickly being replaced by office workers and corporate attitudes. Leadership is being over run by mangament.

From San Diego, CA — 10/23/2008

I have been in the Coast Guard for 6 1/2 years now, and recently re-enlisted for another 6. The job security is great, the pay is decent, and the benefits are wonderful. Location depends on where you want to get stationed, and where they send you. You've got to understand it's based on the needs of the service. Career potential/growth all depends on your motivation and your personal drive to advance. Unlike the other services, you have the potential to advance quicker and retire higher than an E-6. Work/life balance is because there're times where you have to put in a ridiculous amount of overtime.

From Seattle and Delaware — 06/07/2007

I spent six years in the Coast Guard, and like most things, it's not entirely bad or good. I served at a small station in Delaware, and that was bad. My supervisors were mostly morons who would not have survived in the civilian world and took pleasure in treating us lower-ranking people like dogs. It was a terrible three years.
Things were better after I received some training and moved stations. I had an office job and worked for good people.
When I got out, I used my GI Bill and graduated from a really good university. I never would have been able to do that if I did not go into the military.
If you can go to college after high school, please do that. But if not, consider the Coast Guard. It's the military, but you will probably work in beach town and will never be shot at. But if you can get into college, please don't subject yourself to the military.

From San Francisco, CA — 08/30/2006

I spent 4 years on the Navy and after being out for two years and seeing the debt rack up from the wife going to law school I quit school and went into the Coast Guard. I went from an E5 in the Navy down to an E3 since I hated my job in the Navy and I didn't want anything to do with being a GM in the CG. I spent 9 months on a ship 6 of that was in South America. I've spent over 3 years on a ship in the Navy and hated it but I LOVED my sea time in the CG. We siezed over 15 tons of cocaine and tookout 17 drug runners. The CG is so much different from every other branch of the service, your treated better and people accually care about you. I hate being treated like a number. Everyone in the CG seems to understand if something is going on (ie family, medical) and they will do everything they can to help you out. I'm at an Air Station right now and I'm home 6 days out of the week and on my duty day I have the wife come over to my room and stay the night. I can't say enough good things about the CG. If your considering the military go check out the CG before seeing anouther recruiter, I've noticed that the CG doesn't really care if you join or not. They have a list a mile long of people that they turn away and it's usually a wait to go to boot camp but the wait is worth it. One last thing. Anyone who marks Career Potential/Growth lower then a 4 is just plain lazy. The military offers several tuition assistance programs and the possibilities are endless, you'll never have someone tell you that you can't become an Admiral.