Work at UPS — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about UPS pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at UPS

From Indiana — 10/17/2009

Not a bad company to work for overall. The Union reminds every citizen in the U.S. why companies can not stay competitive in America and flea to Mexico and China. After working at UPS I never want to work for another Union company again. The hardest working and most talented employees do not get promoted, but the ones with the most seniority. They say they want to promote from within the company and retain employees, but fail to demonstrate this.

From ca — 10/14/2009

the company wants you to bust your butt

From 02338 — 09/16/2009

this is for union employees

Pay- I dont know how you can complain about the pay...30$ an hour plus overtime for delivering parcels, no education required isnt so bad. Thats not even counting the pension and health benefits either.

Respect- That can get a little rough there. Management has so much pressure on themselves that they expect unrealistic thing; which causes disrespect

Job Security- You have to really fuck up to get fired if your in the union. Stealing, or pretty much fighting someone in the building are the only ways. Getting alot of customer complaints might hurt you as well

Work/life balance- Always weekends off so thats a plus....Days can be long during the week tho, 9.5-10 hour days daily. Takes away from family time

Career- If you start young, the career growth is pretty solid. Put your time in and you can get a driver job after average 5 years. If you plan on getting into UPS earlier, you might have some trouble.

Location- 15 minutes away, no complaints

Work Environment- It could definitely be better, lol

From Las Vegas, NV — 09/14/2009

UPS doesn't care about anyone but themselves. Once you become a supervisor, you are strongly hated by the hourly employees. While working in the Management department your ass is always on the line. The higher management group are always yelling at you and threatening your job. Whatever you do, it very seems to be good enough. If someone in your management team screws up (which is very likely because the people that get promoted are unfit to fill in that position) you have to take the lame and you need to fit it. They make you do things that are unrealistic goals to achieve and they make you do these damn write-up explaining why you couldn't do your job whether it was your fault or not. Most people who work for UPS are not educated very well or if any and it also depends on the demographic. The Union Steward are constantly on your back if you are in the Management department. Hourly employees are always complaining and run to their union rep so they can get the management people in trouble. Nothing you do at UPS is good enough and it doesn't matter how long you have been with the company no one cares! UPS also has this seniority policy which I think needs to be reassessed. You have someone who has been there for 5 years or has been there longer than their peers, they seem to have the right to not work as hard. The longer an hourly worker has been with the company the more pain in the ass they become. They want to get paid more than they think they should not with little or no work involved. In addition, Employees seems to come to work whenever they feel like it and it is nearly impossible to hold them accountable. You can write up an employee a thousand times and they still won't get fired. "If" they get fired for stealing or something like that they just come back within a day or two due to the damn Union. Union and Hourly employees think and they do most of the time get away with walking all over management people. The sad part of all of this is that Management has no power in controlling their employees. Everyday all the part-time supervisors meet with their full-timers and get yelled at for everything including not holding the hourly employees accountable. Supervisors are told to do documentation to hold the hourly employees accountable but it is useless and a waste of time since they don't do anything to their employees. UPS is extremely a stressful job and they have no problem screwing you. I've worked in all the areas of the hub and promoted to a management position for three years and everyday I just got more miserable working for this company.

From MN — 06/13/2009

I have worked for UPS PT for almost 6 years now. I know working for UPS isn't the most fun. Its really boring and is the same everyday. When I started working at UPS, I worked my tail off everyday. I went from an easy job (small sort) to a hard one (loading). After about a year my sup asked me if I liked my job. I told him I hated it. A few days later I was moved to a different area (address correction) and have been there since. I always say to my co workers, for the pay we gat and the benefits we get, its not that bad of a job. They have gotten better IMO of dealing with employees and being more flexible with days off, being sick, ect. I think of you stick it out like I have for 6 years, you get the respect from supervisors. It takes a different kind of person to work at UPS, but for me it has been a good experience.

From USA — 05/27/2009

I think itís really interesting that the things that people are complaining about here (pay, hours, workload and environment) are ALL things that you are well aware of before you are offered a job at UPS. Before I had an interview I was given a building walk through with a group of applicants, and we were told about the pay, hours, benefits and everything else. The HR rep told us that we would work our asses off, every day.

Honestly, what did you people expect? Did you expect a company to give you free benefits for you + family and tuition reimbursement for nothing? Of course the work is hard, the environment is either too hot or too cold, you get dirty and you sweat. Many people seem to have no problem with these things. If you think about it in a positive way, you get paid to work out! How can you beat getting free benefits for 3-4 hours of work a day? Of course there are days when I feel exhausted and hate the job, but most days I think itís a lot of fun. If you go to work with the right attitude, it doesnít have to suck.

I agree that some of the management can get a little out of line with yelling and pressing people to work harder and faster, but I also understand the pressure theyíre under to make their numbers. There is a reason UPS is a fortune 50 company, and running productivity is a huge part of that. I just donít take it personally.

I disagree that there are no opportunities to advance at UPS. Everyone I know who is in management or driving at UPS started as a package handler. The company tries to only promote from within, unless there are no qualified inside candidates. I donít really know of many other companies who try so hard to hire from within.

From Ontario, Ca — 03/12/2009

I work the night shift as a "package handler" and I would not have it any other way. Pay is low to begin but if you put in your time then it will be worth it. Sure, it's hard work but if you can handle it then you will be good. Benefits are the best I've seen in ages...$5 copay no out of pocket. Tuition is payed for if you submit you final grades (you have to pass with a d- or higher). Sometimes the whole union thing gets kinda old with higher senority whining but if you do your job and don't whine then it's all good. Work balance is hard because you work nights but it's not like you don't know the hours when you apply. Great company.

From Columbus, Ohio — 12/07/2008

UPS is a great place to work. Excellent benefits and pay (after you reach top rate). Starting part time the pay is low. Great benefits for students who use the tuition reimbursement program. The only negative rating I had was for work/life balance. Too many times I have to work over 9.5hrs. As far as I am concerned, all of the negative comments are most likely from people who couldn't handle a physically demanding job.

From Minnesota — 10/04/2008

Pay: about $11/hr after multiple raises in the past 6 months.

Respect: It depends on who we're talking about. You get respect for working your tail off and not being a whiner.

Benefits: Incredible medical benefits. $10 copay, and 90%-100% coverage on just about any medical cost you can think of. Tuition reimbursement is available too.

Job Security: Like I mentioned before, Show up, work your tail off and don't be a whiner - You should be fine.
s
Work/Life balance: This is tough since I work the night shift. Weekends are usually pretty messed up since I can't seem to go to sleep until 3-4am and can't get up until 1-2pm

Career Potential: It's there ...if you're willing to climb a really tough and really, really long ladder. It's a seniority based system. From what I've heard, it takes up to 10 years of seniority just to get a driver position. Though, they do pay pretty well, but who wants to lift boxes for that long? geesh.

Location: In the middle of a heavy commercial/light industrial area... where you would expect it to be.

Co-worker competence: I think highly of my immediate co-workers.. though an assortment of jerks, weirdos, and bums can be found throughout the facility.

Work Environment: Everything is hard. You'll have plenty of scraps and bruises to show off. This job is only for people willing to do real work on a consistent basis. be prepared to devote a lot of sleep time at first. It's noisy and smells and is poorly lit.. no glamour here. You sweat like you've never sweat before, and you work your *** off, and just when you think you can't take it anymore.. RELOAD!

From Columbus, Ohio — 08/04/2008

I started working at UPS as a temp (Administrative Assistant) and begged them to hire me - what a mistake. The workplace is filthy (including offices), the people in the Hub are the most miserable people with the worst attitude towards work and life. If you oppose to obscene language (both in the office and Hub), don't work here. Obscene language flows like water at UPS. Don't really socialize with anyone because I don't trust anyone. My pay is not the best and there is no hope for advancement. My pay raises stink. The harder you work, the less they appreciate you and the more they expect from you. Slackers, continue to slack off with no dicipline from management. I really can't say one good thing about UPS, except it's a job. In the summer, you suffer from heat exhaustion and in the winter, you freeze to death. You are expected to be at work "no matter what" during the worst weather conditions (not really worried about your safety). If you do miss work, management ignores you for days. I could go on for hours - if you're thinking about working for UPS - please think twice.