Working at UPS — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about UPS pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at UPS

From hickory,nc — 10/12/2010

i think its a great place to work as far as benifits goes there are sum slackers there and the certain supervisors could be a bit more curtious to the employees

From Dallas Tx — 07/23/2010

I work for ups here in Dallas TX at the airport. I get a raise every 6 Mo's
I'm part of the union and if you plan to join get ready they will take out
some good money. I only work 3 days a week about 4 hrs
a day Tues,wed,and Thur not bad and the best part i get free benefits for me my
wife and 3 kids...You cant beat it, and after 5 yrs i get a pension plan when
i turn 65 o and did i say that i have 2 weeks paid vacation and 7 sick
days i can use and i have only 3 years with ups..

From GREENSBORO NC — 06/24/2010

I've given the ratings present because although UPS has great job security, advancement is not an option. I've been in the same position since i've began working there in 1998. To survive i've always had to work another job because UPS didnt offer full-time positions unless a certain senority level was met. Today, senority is no longer an issue. Because of economic conditions, UPS is no longer offering any full-time positions period.

Respect really isnt a problem for nonmanagment positions, thanks to the union. Management could read a book or two on people skills but its a bunch of men doing manual labor, what you expect? The work environment is terrible in the summer and winter months, but spring and fall is feasible. There is a ton of dust floating non-stop within the building so if you have allergies, you may want to reconsider UPS as an option.

You cant beat the benefits, they are free!

I was reading others reviews and was shocked at some of the things i read. At the Greensboro hub we arent given breaks of any kind. If you leave the area to use the restroom its required to let the supervisor know so he can keep tab of how long you are gone. You are expected to work non-stop for 3-1/2 hours regardless of the fact that you are standing and lifting packages that weigh up to 70 lbs over your head.

The only thing i like about this job is that you wont be laid off if you work the primary positions, you get two consecutive days off, my shift we always have sat and sun, you basically can come in whenever you want, and you have free benefits. This is defintely not a place to build a career.

From Long Island City, NY — 06/24/2010

Your experience at this company will vary; depending on numerous factors. These factors include your demographic, your fitness level, your economic situation, your work ethic, your management team, your interpersonal skills, your time management skills, and your patience among countless other examples. The fact of the matter is, this job, like most others, is what you make of it.. I am a Loader
Pay,CONS: The starting pay sucks ass, stalled since 1984. This is primarily due to the generally rise in prices, Cost-of-Living, inflation and consumer indexes. 8.50 is bad at best, and immoral at worst. Once you reach seniority (unionized) your start paying initiation fees. You will start part-time and likely stay part-time for many years. The Bargaining unit (Union) has recently negotiated less favorably for partimers.
PROS: Your pay will eventually rise given enough time and it will rise faster than most other entry level retail positions, ie McDonalds. Generally, expect a raise every 6 months to year.
Bottom Line: Details of your raises are in your unionís contract booklet (National/Regional supplement). Compared to high tiered retail outlets such as Best Buy or Target, the starting pay is significantly low and your energy consumption is proportionately higher. If fast money is a priority I suggest your steer clear of UPS or perhaps immediately go for a supervisor y position. If you have patience and your economic circumstances favor it, UPS can be worth it in the LONG run.
Respect, Bottom Line: Respect in UPS varies, depending on the WHO, WHAT WHERE, WHY AND HOW of a particular operation. General speaking, teamsters and supervisors are respectful. However certain aspects of their job and personal circumstances may make ppl seem disrespectful. Example, you may see a FT sup yelling at a PT sup simply because itís a traditional job function of FT sup. Another reason maybe because a union worker is moving too slow or doing something improperly and the FT sup is simply following a chain of command. Sups tend to limit their reprimands to other lower level sups, because is its generally unacceptable to scream at union worker. PT sups generally donít bother union workers, unless his/her FT sup gives him a reprimand .Other reasons include itís just part of their natural personality to pressure hourlies or they feel that itís a proactive function of an overall career move. Hourlies tend to respect each other, and would get rather friendly with each other as their tenure grows at UPS. However, tensions due rise, especially when an hourly is significantly underperforming in a given area. You will also, notice tensions are higher among all workers during times of high volume. Simply putÖ.it depends.
Benefits, CONS: Most benefits, as of now, take 1 to 1.5 years to fully accumulate. There are no premiums but there are copays. Most benefits will be unused or sparely used because of a worker demographic; they are young and less prone to prolonged injury and illness, they are single and less likely to included dependents on a plan, the have low career aspects and not use their tuition assistance. UPS knows all these aspects
PROS: UPS has very generous benefits package, including free health, dental, prescription drugs, vision, 401k, retirement, vacation, holidays discounted stock, discounts on phone plans/other products, tuition reimbursement and cheap life insurance among others
Bottom-line: It depends on your situation but there something for everyone in the package.
Job Security, Bottom Line: Itís almost impossible to get fired as a union worker, I have seen no ďcompleteĒ layoffs among unions workers, because higher seniority workers can bump lower seniority and always have some form of work to do. Attendance and tardiness a rarely enforced because it is at managementís advantage to not always be fully staffed in an operation (NUMBERS). Of course there are exceptions and it doesnít apply to administrative and specialist positions at UPS.
Work/Life Balance, Bottomline: The Workout theme that UPS promotes is a gimmick as it doesnít not take into account the wear and tear on the body when working at a realistic pace trying to achieve reasonable numbers (PPH), It also doesnít account for irregular shifts that you may work. Nor does it account for disproportionate amount of energy used compared to income produced. You may receive a small break during your shift. Expect pressure to do things fast and ideally to UPS standards. Safety is promoted as number one on paper but in reality it comes in second by default.
Career Potential/Growth, Bottomline: Several career paths, but itís basically two. Union Worker (ie Driver, Sorter, FT combo etc), is path based on Seniority(years in). Non Union(PT/FT Supervisor, Manager, HR, Admin) based upon a combination of merit(performance) and tenure. Most ppl can enter the p/t workforce rather easily, but this job title is considered undesirable by many. Everything else varies on the location, size, demographic and volume of an operation.
Location: Varies, but having a car would be an advantage. Moreover, when you first start, thereís nothing worse than a long and tedious commute after a supervisor sent you home within 30mins of starting your shift.
Co-worker Competence, Bottom Line: In General new guys move slower because their bodies have to get used to it. Tenured guys move slower because itís not required by union contract. The real answer it Depends, I have seen guys become lazy, I have seen guys that are always fast and efficient with several years in. Supervisors, it also depends, some are assholes, some are high-strung, and some are laidback; nobody and no operation is the same.
Work Environment, Bottomline: In HUBs, generally loud, dusty, very hot in the summer, very cold in the winter. It has a warehouse feel to it. Bathrooms can be a long walk, HR can be along walk. its also depends on job title.

From Ontario, CA — 06/19/2010

I've been with UPS for a while now as a Pre-Loader, and I wouldn't have it any other way. When I started, I honestly wanted to quit but after a few changes (moving a diverter), I found my job to be a lot easier, and very manageable. I do my job well, and the fact that I get more work to do isn't bad because I get more hours on my paycheck. It's true. At UPS, if you're a good worker, your reward is MORE hard work, but to me that's a good thing, I guess it just depends on who you talk to.

Pay - Well, the pay isn't that bad. When you start it sucks because if you start in the load-side, you start off at 9.50, but you don't see that much because as a newbie, you get few hours, and the union takes a LOT out of your paycheck, so that sucked. But as time went on, I started seeing a lot more money in my weekly check, so that's good.

Respect - At UPS, respect is earned, it's not given to you. If you're a terrible worker, generally, supervisors won't like you and they'll shout at you, but that's everywhere. I can easily think of 10 loaders in my operation who are hated by the supervisors and that get written up on a daily basis. So, respect is earned, and when you work well and smartly, generally your co-workers will respect you as well.

Benefits - You can't beat UPS benefits. Complete coverage for you and your family? The best in the U.S.

Job Security - Another great thing about UPS, well, great and bad. The union protects your job, but initially, you better watch your ass. Don't MISLOAD! You'll notice yourself working really hard at first, but that the other guys around you aren't working hard, why? It's because of the union, and that's the bad part. The union lets workers do a half-assed job while you have to pick up their slack. But, overall, it's generally REALLY hard to get fired if you're showing up on time and doing your job.

Work/Life Balance - At first, it's tough because your body is getting accustomed to such a physically demanding job, but eventually you adjust and get used to it. When I first started, I was REALLY debating about quitting or not and this was the biggest problem. I was missing classes at school, I was sleeping all the time, my body was sore, but eventually I caught on and I feel fine.

Career Potential/Growth - Unless you get an engineering degree, or an MBA, or want to become a driver, don't move up. Supervisors exist to be yelled at at UPS. Because of the union, supervisors are responsible for their workers, so when upper management sees something wrong, they don't yell at the workers, they yell at the supervisors. So, like I said, unless you want to move up to become a driver, or get a really good upper-management opening, don't do it. You'll regret it.

Location - The location isn't too bad. It's about 10-15 minutes from where I live in Riverside.

Co-worker Competence - Big reason why I like my job. The guys in my pen are really good workers, generally there on time, some slow, some fast, but I've made good friends there at UPS. We bring donuts for each other, buy breakfasts, joke around with sups, make fun of each other, the job seems to go by a LOT faster.

Work Environment - Because I've become friends with the guys I work with, and because I have a very good supervisor, and a good set of drivers that I load for, the environment that I PERSONALLY work at is really nice. Although, the environment can be VERY confrontational at times when supervisors are yelling at you and when drivers yell at you. It all depends on where you work at.

So, for the most part, I'm really happy with my job at UPS, it's all what you make of it honestly. If you're considering a part-time job and UPS is hiring, take it. But, understand, it'll beat the hell out of you, that's for sure.

From Newark, DE — 05/30/2010

UPS is not a bad place to work...if you can meet their expectations from the start. If after the first week you aren't able to load the trucks exactly how they want you to without any errors after a week then you can say goodbye to your job. If you are in the military however, don't bother planning on applying at the Newark building. They wont work with you for giving you time off. I told them I needed one day off to sign my contract with the Army Reserves after working there for two months without missing a day. Needless to say I was unemployed the next day.

Not a bad place to work if you don't mind working in a dirty warehouse and being held to near impossible standards. The pay is not too bad if you get past the first ten weeks of paying 37.50 a week to get into the union.

Just not a place that supports those of us fighting for our country.

From MN — 03/20/2010

The pay isn't that great if you are part time. If you stay long enough you may get lucky and be promoted to full time. This pay is about $24.00 for people who work in the hub. The driver make around $30.00, and this is because of the extra caution that is needed to be a driver.

Respect is very good. My supervisor is really nice, but some are not and if you find yourself working for a supervisor you don't like switching to a different area is very easy.

Benefits are awesome. They are much better than any other job I have ever had. I don't use the benefits at my day job and this adds about $70.00 per week to my pay check. (401K = $100,000 added for every 5 years worked).

Job security is great. I have known drivers who have had DUI's and DWI's and still kept there jobs. Sometime they will be punished by having to transfer back into the hub and work for up to several years, but at least they still have there jobs and are making the same pay.

Work/life balance I would have to say is great. I have quit day jobs before without even thinking about it, because I make more working part-time at UPS then I do at my day job. Also you will never have to work weekends.

Career potential/growth If you work hard you will be rewarded. You may have to work part-time for several years to become full time. Some people become full time after one year; while others have to wait twelve.

Location My hub is about 20 minuets from home.

Co-Worker Competence Unfortunately this can be a problem, because of the union you have some people who will work very hard for the company and other who wont. You will have to pick-up the slack for the lazy people.

Work Environment is good. It can be very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. In the summer drink lots of H20 and in the winter were a jacket or sweater. Supervisors don't want you to get hurt, but they expect you to get the job done as fast as possible. I try to go my fastest, but Im not going to destroy my back to accomplish downtime and this is understood by my supervisor.

Ups is very up front when you come in for the group interview. I was told that work would be a lot like football practice, and this was true for about the first month. It does get easy after you body adjusts to the work. I have never been treated badly by a supervisor, and think that a lot of people complain because they can't handle the work.

From sparks, nevada — 03/18/2010

Some things about this job are depressing. When I first started I was told that after I put in 7 years I could advance to full time. Not only is this a false promise but I have friends who have been with UPS for 10+ years who are unable to obtain a full time position. What really drove this home for me is the fact that all of the current drivers are 30-40 years old. You never see a twenty something guy driving. It doesnt happen. I liken becoming a driver to winning the lottery. The odds are about the same. I worked here for 4 years and I am a lifetime away from being a full time employee. Makes you realize that this is nothing more than a job to get you health insurance and a few hundred dollars a week. You cannot buy a car or buy anything nice at all on the part time salary. You will barely be able to pay your car insurance if you already got a car.

The work is hard but I am a man and I dont mind hard work. I dont mind the fact that theres inadequate heating and air conditioning. I mean lets be honest the cost to heat and cool a warehouse of this size would be a rediculous amount of money. So I let that slide. Management is not so bad, in fact they are just like us only they dont have to do physical labor. They get it hard in the ass from employees who will treat them like shit and there is nothing they can do about it. I feel bad for them sometimes and I know I wouldnt do their job. I am convinced the unions only job is to protect the truly worthless and incompitant or plain lazy employees. At any other company they would be fired immediatly but at UPS they are equal to even the hardest workers among us.
I already do 5 other lazy peoples jobs for them. Fire those bastards and give me a damn pay raise! Not only would the company as a whole be more efficient and productive but morale amongst the employees would be through the roof. Only the best of the best would remain and we would get along fine knowing we all have the same goal to do the job as best as we can. Trash this fucking union so the pay scale is more equal between drivers and part timers. Or make the part timers full time at least. We sweat and toil wishing we could have the driver job. We drive beaters with two jobs while they sport brand new trucks and motorcycles. They get to sit on their ass and run door to door while we sweat in the warehouse loading their trucks. God forbid we load their truck in a manner unfit to thier liking. Sorry man but while I was loading 5 other trucks and getting package flow crammed in my ass I happened to get a little sloppy on your truck. My bad but I been here for 5 hours and only made $60 while you will make that in 2 hours sitting on your ass. Maybe I shouldnt have to load all 5 of the bussiest trucks because the retard next to me is too lazy to even do his 1 truck right. I am young, so they take extra advantage of me and work my youth away. I wonder how much my body has aged at 22 as a result.
I really am sorry to bitch about the drivers so much because most of you guys are pretty good guys and I like most of you. Especially since they were once in the same boat as me. I am just frustrated knowing that I will never get the same opportunity. I wonder how long I will be able to stay at this place and still look at myself in the mirror. Its getting harder and harder. The benifits are the only thing that keeps me here.
The money they pay forces you to get another job. Either that or you gotta depend on somebody else to support you. I wish I could have one job, that would be a welcomed relief.
Management is slimey. They try to cheat you out of hours weekly. I have never got a SOR that correctly listed my hours. Every week I must adjust it. I dont know why they do it either but they always short me a half hour on at least a few days. I dont understand whats so hard about reading when I clock in/out and paying me for it.
Someone told me once that the packages contained on one single trailer make enough profit to pay every hourly's salary in the building for a week. I wonder where the rest of the profits go? How about dedicating another trailer full of boxes to our salaries? We do after all unload thousands of the fuckers a year. Could you imagine if every employee got paid for the specific amount of boxes he loaded or unloaded? That would increase peoples drive to work hard as well. I would make a shitload of money if that were the case. I unload 8 trailers to every 2 for most other employees. Yet we get paid the same. In most cases even less. Now that is bullshit. I am physically making the company more money and I am not benifiting from making them that extra profit. In fact I am usually penalized and more is demanded out of me.

Really I am just tired of being poor. I had to quit school so I could get another job and support myself as ups doesnt fully pay for school. So now my life is absolutely fucked. I have no hope to do anything more with my life. Might as well settle in and get used to the suck.

From Paramus, NJ — 02/27/2010

Best group of people I have worked with, but there is little room for advancement.

From huntingburg indiana — 01/27/2010

I am a preload sup for a small ups center. I started off at a different center working the local sort shift about a year after i hired on the preload sup job that I now have became available. During the hiring process for this position I was never told what my pay rate would be even though I asked several times I was always answered with "I can"t really tell you quite yet." I waited about a month to hear anything after my interview, then I arrived for work one day, and my supervisor informed me that I had gotten the job and that i was to report Monday morning at 3:45am. Now i have been in this postion for about a year, and everyday I am reminded of just how corrupt this company really is from top to bottom, management to hourly employees. Now that I am on the management side of things I relize how the union is such a joke. Union employees can basically do whatever they want with no more punishment than a simple write up. I have delt with many union employees that have been with ups for five or more years. I have been cussed at, threatened and harrassed since I have been in management. Throughout all these incendents the most severe punishment that I was allowed to give was a write up in the employee record book. This company has for years and will continue to blame its management employees, while hourly employees get away with murder. I hope that if union employees read this they will relize that its not always our fault you need to look a bit higher than your shift sup to find the root of your problems!!!