Working at University of Phoenix — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about University of Phoenix pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at University of Phoenix

From Atlanta, GA — 06/23/2010

I am sad that I am having to give a good company such low ratings. UoP has been good to me over the 3 years 4 months I was there. My biggest concern is that UoP is a company and their product is education. I am not sure everyone comes to the table with that understanding. Every school needs to make money don't be confused. Some have different ways of making it, but the end result is the same. My second largest issue is that the target market for UoP students isn't one that particularly the best for a 4 year commitment to something that doesn't really have a product. If I buy a car I have a physical car to look at, drive and so on. In education/college I don't have that same physical item. This fact tends to make education very vague to their students. It's hard for them to grasp that the "physical product" will be a possible job/better pay/ job promotion after finishing school.

I am not sure how UoP will overcome these really serious issues, but I wish them the best.

From Memphis, TN — 04/06/2010

I have close to two years of experience as an enrollment counselor. First, realize this is a sales job. If you come from a commission only job this might be perfect for you. They do have reasonable sales expectations with the total number of leads given to you. If you are not comfortable selling a product, this would be a terrible job fit. The company will hold you to their sales expectations, if you cannot meet them then the company will eventually let you go. Company culture completely depends on what campus and what division you are in. Enrollment has a stereotypical sales culture. Academics has a friendly, and very 'hugging' culture. Finance has a culture that is about numbers. If you fit into these styles, it can be a great job for you. Company benefits and salary are great, especially for top performers. Essentially you can almost double your pay every year. That is not the average, those are the best performers. Retention is an issue with counselors. Many people get into the job and find it isn't what they are looking for, or not a good fit for them. We lose around one quarter of the counselors we hire in the first six months. That isn't because the company is bad (your campus might be though), it is because they weren't a good fit. If you want a job as a counselor, as yourself this: 1) Am I comfortable selling?, 2) Can I be successful in a pressure filled environment?, 3) What type of company culture do I like? These three questions are very important before you begin a job here. It is high pressure, but also high reward. I had major surgery around six months ago, and I had $100 out of pocket. Not many companies match that in health benefits. Promotions are pretty quick for top performers as well. If you are an average performer this is not the type of job you will want. You will be micromanaged by a manager and director. Great for people with heavy sales experience. By the way, you do not ever have to recruit 25 students a month (responding to a previous post). Expectations are reasonable for skilled salespeople.

From MA — 12/16/2009

I have been working for UOP for about a year and it has been a great experience. I am constantly being told by my manager & director that I am doing a good job & that they appreciate our hard work. My co-workers are great and we are all close. Overall I think that it's a great working environment with a LOT of opportunity for growth if you do your job well. I can see myself staying within the University for a while!

From Phoenix, AZ — 09/08/2009

I've worked for the University of Phoenix for nearly seven years and love it. In my time here I've had opportunity to move through a variety of different roles, each with increased responsibility and opportunities. Not all were ideal for me and I have had frustrations with some mangers but overall the experience has been a great one. Prior to starting here I worked a wide variety of jobs and was a bachelor's student on a "fifteen year degree program” having attended a variety of Community colleges and state universities but never finished due to life/ work/ school balance issues. With Apollo Group, not only have I been able to advance my career through lateral moves and promotions over the years, but I've also been able to take advantage of the free tuition benefit in order to complete two degrees and am now beginning work on a third. I worked my butt off to get where I am now, but it has been well worth it.

The University of Phoenix is truly in the business of changing lives through education and I'm proud to tell people I am a Phoenix.

From Honolulu, HI — 07/31/2009

As a faculty at UOP, I would say it is a great place to work. Great support from management and wonderful students to work with. I'm Loving It !

From Phoenix, AZ — 01/17/2009

I worked as an Academic Counselor for U of P for a very short time. The training I got was okay but very rushed. It was extremely difficult to learn what was required in the short time we were trained. U of P makes you take a test to get out of training and into a full time position. I trained at a location that was about a 30 min. commute, not bad, but was placed at a location that was over a 45 min. commute. We had no idea what location we would be sent to until after training. Not a nice feeling. The building itself was gorgeous--nice views of the Valley and wonderful amenities--a truly delicious and clean lunchroom, kind of pricey, and even a gym on the first floor. I hated to leave it.

Work environment was okay. I felt respected enough. Some co-workers were very professional and fun, some not. It's the same everywhere. Management was alright. The people in security spooked me, though. I always felt over-scrutinized when I came in everyday of training just because my id was a temporary. (You don't get an actual photo id until you nearly finish training.) Sometimes they made me stop so they could check me against the database before they let me through.

Career Potential I felt was not very good. I heard some stories from employees who had been there many years in the same positions and had been refused promotions over and over. And these were not stumble-bums--they had cubicles full of awards.

Work/Life balance was very good. I always worked 8-5--no weekends. Nice.

No comment on benefits as I was not there long enough. (I managed to last 3 months.) This was due to sheer boredom with the job, the lousy pay and to all the hand holding required of the counselors. Geez! These are supposed to be adults attending college, not idiots. Why should I have to contact an adult for not attending classes?

Pay stinks at U of P. Even with my B.A. and many years of customer service and counseling experience, I still started at $30,000/year. I just could not make my bills on that.

I would not work at U of P again unless I absolutely had to. And I would not take classes there again. I took two lower division classes at an on-sight location because I had to get them done very quickly. They are very overpriced, especially 100-200 level classes. Go to a community college for that and save your money.

From Tempe,AZ — 09/05/2008

I truely beleive that working for the iniversity of phoenix is what you make it. Just like with every other job, if you go in hating your life you are going to leave hating it just the same. Yes the job has its ups and downs. It is a "sales" job, but you also have to remember that UOP is a for profit university. They don't receive any state funding to keep the doors open. You can be successful at your job without being unethical. YOu have to work hard and keep a posistive attitude. There have been times when I enrolled someone that in my opinion was not going to be successful. Thats where my job in enrollment and customer service is very important. Some of my best students didn't even know how to copy and paste or how to use their email. Sometimes all these people need is someone to beleive in them. Its not our place to tell someone "you know, I think you ate paint chips as a child and you're going to fail. So I won't enroll you." That in my opinion would be the unethical thing to do. Its our job to inform them of what they are getting into. Its up to them if is best for them. I have plenty of people tell me no a day. These people are grown adults and can make up their own minds what right for them.I make sure they understand its not the easy way to a degree. I don't know where people are getting the idea that we aren't customer service oriented. Isn't walking stdnt throught every app, doing pre-walks, walks to class, the ECS, the workshops... following up with our stdnt a huge part of customer service. If you aren't doing those ethings then you aren't doing your job to the fullest and thats why you look at the job as just a high pressure sales job. Yes some managers are unethical; thats going to be at every job you have. In the corproate world people will always be throwing someone under the bus. If your manager is being unethical, breaking FERPA policy, not training properly and you haven't spoken up. Then you have no room to be upset with the job. HR is there for a reason, if you have a problem go to them. I have never lied to get a REG. I have never stolen leads for a REG. I don't manipulate talk time or dials. I go in and do what best for my stdt and the numbers come naturally. I'm not a top preformer, but I am not doing poroly with my job either. I love my co-workers. The work enviroment is awesome and they are very frequesntly having spirit weeks. The company gives us a ton of vacation time, sick time is earned every payperiod. UOP really takes care of their employees. Compared to most jobs the pay is awesome.

From California — 03/06/2007

The pay is decent, raises are great if you perform (6000+ in first six months). Performance is expected and respect is directly tied to this, but overall good. Benefits are alright, they do go up in price every year since I have been here, but I hear that is normal. Job security is great, have not seen anyone laid off, most turnover is from people quitting. Work life balance is average, they do sometimes lean on you to work saturdays, and sometimes you feel that your success depends on working long hours. This is expected in a job where you are scheduling appointments with non tradtional students. Career growth potential is alright, you can make a ton of money with the company, promotions are strange, can't really get a bead on what kind of people that they like to promote, the last guy promoted was an ass with all kind of hr issues, but other than that it seems that the performers get promoted. Locations are great, usually right off of the freeway. Co-Workers are awesome, too bad a lot of them move on to better opportunities, kind of using the University as a springboard. The work environment can be high stress but can also be pretty rewarding.