Working at University of Michigan — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about University of Michigan pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at University of Michigan

From Ann Arbor, MI — 02/18/2010

I feel like I'm paid much above average for my type of position. Although, I can't believe how low the pay for some of my co-workers is. The benefits package is incredible, it's hard to find another employer with such a generous package. Several of my co-workers including myself have used up all of our sick time and have never once been reprimanded. My department is understanding of Work-Life balance and also understanding that children get sick. There is no room to grow in my department, unless my boss miraculously decides to leave. But I'm told there's plenty of opportunity if I switch departments, which I think of as a positive. The University is completely decentralized and so each department operates differently and with each move you learn new things!

As for the LGBT comment, I think the University is quite respectful when compared with the state of Michigan as a whole. It's not the University's fault that the Michigan voters are discriminatory. It was heartbreaking when that passed. I have to prove that my 2 year old daughter is an eligible dependent. It's just a process that the University is going through right now. With Michigan's economy UM has to make sure it's money is going to the appropriate places. Although I think it's silly I have to prove my toddler is eligible I also understand why the University is doing this. This country as a whole is not LGBT friendly, it's sad and it's unjust and it's maddening.

The University of Michigan is a great place to work, but it's not perfect by any means.

From Ann Arbor — 12/14/2009

Poor management. Many seemed to have climbed the ranks with very little insight into leadership. Abusive work situations are rarely handled properly. The University campus v. the Med. School, v. the Health System all operate as separate entities with little cooperation or desire to work together strategically. Physicians run the Med School despite the fact that most of them have no administrative or business training - not to mention people skills. Not true of all physicians but its a fair generalization for those in leadership roles. Creative solutions are encouraged but rarely considered seriously. I can't imagine young, bright people new to the work force lasting long here. However, if you're looking for a place of security - this is the place for you. They fire very few people.

From Ann Arbor, MI — 12/07/2009

Pay: Not a lot compared to people who work in private industry, but I think it's competitive among public institutions. Some departments do pay better than others.

Respect: For the most part it's a very respectful work environment. There are a few people I have had some problems with over the years, a few people whose egos are pretty big, but by and large I feel like it's a very supportive and respectful workplace. Trite as it sounds, I also feel like a meaningful member of the community because UM/UMHS really does reach a lot of people and I like being a positive part of people's lives on a daily basis.

Benefits: Can't complain.

Job Security: I work on grants so every few years there is a little bit of anxiety about where I will go and what I will do next. I've never found it hard to continue in the department I was hired into, but I also haven't found it difficult to switch departments. The U also has a "Reduction in Force" program that helps anyone whose job is cut to get hired in elsewhere, which I find reassuring but haven't needed to use yet. I think it's a nice idea.

Work/Life Balance: Some departments are a lot more flexible than others and it depends on what your job role is. I think it makes sense, and you know what you're getting into before you get into it. I think the U is pretty fair as far as time allowed for sick/family care/education time and I feel like they do what they can to improve the W/L balance. They have all kinds of helpful programs from counseling to an emergency sitting service to help make things work. Allegedly some people are allowed to telecommute or work different schedules, but from what I understand that is at the discretion of the department and again, makes more sense for some people than for others.

Career Potential/Growth: I agree with the person who said that it's sometimes hard to have upward mobility in the department you are in. However, there are a lot of departments and I haven't had any problem climbing the career ladder in a way that makes my ex bosses content and future bosses happy. I feel that deep down, the people you work for do want what's best for you and take an interest in your future and encourage you to do the best you can do even if it's not with them. I love the education support and the sheer number of learning opportunities that working here presents, and I may be biased because I'm young and impressionable but I really learn a LOT from my officemates and supervisors and I love that they're willing to sit down and explain things to me even when they aren't directly related to how I do my job. I can't really think of anywhere else (besides other academic institutions, I suppose) where I can work for nationally and internationally known researchers who will pop into my office and teach me about things that I ask them about... it's fantastic and I am a huge fan.

Location: My office isn't on the main campus, north campus, or any campus. It is about 2 minutes from my house with open parking. Plus it's in Ann Arbor, which may be one of the few decent cities left in Michigan. So again, big win.

Co-worker Competence: I think I addressed this above. I'm one of the youngest in my group and I have learned things from all of my co-workers. I will admit to not always feeling this way in other positions, but I would say that overall the people I have worked with at every level have had something to offer and have been solid performers at their jobs.

Work Environment: No complaints.

Overall, I'm happy I decided to work for the U. I've learned a lot in my years here and I'm looking forward to more. For prospective employees: There is a LOT of variety. Take your time and find a position that fits you. There are a lot of personalities to consider and a lot of variety in what's out there, even in positions with the same title. If you know yourself, trust your gut and find a workgroup that shares your working values and priorities where you can do something you're interested in, you'll be happy here. That's my opinion anyway.