Working at United States Postal Service — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about United States Postal Service pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at United States Postal Service

From US — 06/04/2010

Best job i ever held. government work and benefits. People would complain if it was sunny and 75 degrees outside.

From Minneapolis, MN — 04/17/2010

I'm a tractor-trailer operator in Minneapolis , MN. After driving over-the-road for 25 years being gone for weeks at a time..this is the BEST JOB I've ever had...I'm home every night, punch in punch out. Working tour 1 is hard, but I get to be with my family at supper time, and watch sport activities, or School activities. Life is what you make it..like someone once said, " life is 10 percent of what happens to me, and 90 percent of how I react."

From coachella valley, ca — 10/28/2009

Not sure why everyone else is complaining- they obviously are miserable people who don't find happiness anywhere. Those who are no longer working for the USPS- how are things for you today? Did you find something better? Doubt it. life is what YOU make it.

From Modesto, CA — 10/02/2009

Worked at the Remote Encoding Center in Modesto, CA twice between 1995 and 2003. Pay was excellent at the time for what amounted to strictly data entry work. ($5 above minimum wage) We were told from the very start that it was supposed to be a temporary position until their systems were advanced enough to barcode mail automatically. Supervisors in general were respectful (with a couple of exceptions, most notably one accused of sexual harassment who was transferred instead of fired). The work was hard, especially during the holidays where 10- and 12-hour shifts were common. Eventually the site did close, but it was open for a lot longer than expected. I left once due to stress, and was happily hired back a couple of years later.

From Wichita, KS — 12/12/2008

I worked as a Data Conversion operator (temporary position) at the Wichita REC Center for 2 months from October through December of 2008. In this job, you sit at a computer where mail images are displayed. Based on the type of mail you are working on, you key in the information requested and move on to the next image. Here are the Pros and Cons of this job:

Pros:

1. The pay is good ($14.22 if you work after 6pm)
2. You get 1 hour of Paid Time for every 20 hours you work
3. You are allowed to listen to an MP3 player while keying
4. You work an hour and get 5 minutes break, then work another hour and get 10 minutes break. The pattern repeats for additional hours worked
5. The environment is good where you are basically keying addresses throughout the shift. Time passes by fast
6. You can choose from 4 hr to 8 hr shifts, working from 20 hrs to 40 hrs a week based on your needs.

Cons:

1. No Health Insurance benefits for the first year. You become eligible for this benefit after 1 year of 'temporary' service but have to pay 100% of the premium
2. Only 2 hours of work are guaranteed. If work is slow on a day and you normally work 8 hour shifts, they can ask you to go home after 2 hours. (Note: This was not an issue during the busy months when I worked)
3. Job is very fast paced. Can be overwhelming at times.
4. Some supervisors can be impatient
5. You get 5 days a year that you can request to take off without pay. You can only select days that are open for this type of time off. When I started in October, no days were available until January of next year to use for unpaid time off.
6. You get 2 personal days a year to use for unscheduled time off without getting a red mark on your record.
7. Mandatory extended hours for everyone in December (6-10 hrs each day, 6 days a week)
8. No fixed time to leave. You can be asked to stay longer if needed.

You have to take a written test (passing score is 70%) and a typing pass before you are considered for this job. I work as a supervisor for an IT company during the day and took this position at the REC Center as a second job signing up for 4 hr shifts, 5 days a week. During orientation, they were honest about letting people know that they may be working more hours than they sign up for because of the busy holiday season. Once hired, you go through 3-4 days of classroom training followed by self-based computer exams you have to pass before you can start. You get 58.5 hours to complete around 39 tests and since you are paid for these tests you only get one opportunity. If you do not pass all these tests in the available hours you will NOT be considered for this position again. The tests are not too bad if you stay focused; I finished all of mine in 32 hours. One other thing to keep in mind is that the earlier you finish these tests, the better chance you get of choosing a schedule that you need.

In my opinion, you need the following 3 skills to be successful at this job: Good memory, Accuracy, and Speed. Over the period of time, you will learn several different types of mail with their respective rules (this is where you need to memorize all the rules). Every 30 days, you are evaluated on how fast you type and how many mistakes you make.

Overall, a good place to work at if you can handle a 2nd job or do not care about the benefits. the chances of moving to a career position (full time) are also very slim as it can take several years before a position even becomes available. My supervisor was very nice but there are some that can be impatient, especially during the hectic holiday months.

From Sarasota, FL — 07/12/2008

here in sarasota, I work in a processing center. My boss tells me that because i am th most junior supervisor, that i have to get everything done because it is cheaper to let the senior supervisors go home early or on time and I am not to hit the clock. I only get eight hours pay even though I may have to spend tem or twelve hours to get everything caught up. If anything goes wrong, I am reprimanded and berated. My benefits are good, we get health, life and retirement, sick leave and annual leave. e just can't get any time off to use them so there is a program that allows us to sell back the unused leave at the end of the year. My coworkers are ok and seem to know what to do but they do not share that knowledge. They tell me I just have to learn it like they did, the hard way. My hours and days off are constantly being changed and I always have to work the weekends. I usually get wednesday and tursday unless I have to work 6 days. I am told that if I want to make this a career that I have to sacrifice some things like giving extra work without pay. I am told that I am only paid for actually supervising not for doing the grievanes or pay records which are art of the every day work. Sarasota is nice but I have only been able to go to the beach 6 times in the last three years because of the job. I swear I wish I had stayed in the insurance industry instead but now I can't aford to start over with a different job.

From Wichita, KS — 06/10/2008

I started working as a TE (transitional employee) at the Wichita REC this year and I'm 100% happy with the location. The potential to "move up" to a career is promising... though I've heard it can take awhile to actualize. I think/hope this will be a great long-term (5+) job as the pay is really great for such easy work. I was lucky to have a wonderful supervisor, so no problems there. I know there's "characters" (aka undesirables) any where you work... I admit to being a little timid about approaching the South Desk for help, but nothing major traumatizing/uncomfortable there. Overall, I'm happy working for the Wichita REC...

From Erie, PA — 04/25/2008

I am a PTF City Carrier with the USPS, and I actually enjoy my job.

Pay: Not bad at all, I started at $19.84 an hour and we get plenty of overtime!

Respect: Not too good, but for what they pay, and the fact that I dont see my supervisor for more than a couple hours a day, I can deal with it.

Benefits: Good benefits, best of both worlds, its a government job and a union job.

Job Security: The BEST! The USPS has never ever laid anyone off. They fire people but never lay anyone off.

Work/Life Balance: I work a lot of hours, but they pay for it so I am fine with it.

Career Growth: If you want to move up you can, but with overtime Carriers make more than the supervisors!

Location: Great location, I get to work a day job in my hometown.

Co-worker Competence: My fellow carriers know their job quite well, there are a few bad apples that take too much time off, but that goes with having a union.

Work Environment: I spend a majority of my time outdoors taking a long stroll. It really beats sitting behind a desk all day. Plus where I live and work, we have all four seasons so as long as you can deal with winter everything is fine.

From Dallas, TX — 05/21/2006

The Postal Service is a great play to work, if you can get in. Expect long hours working, since you're there from when you get the mail until when it's gone. Co workers are great, everyone has a lot of respect for everyone else. Pay and benefits are supurb, and management will typically support it's workers in the face of customer complaints. Only negative: Not a lot of room to grow, there are only so many slots for managers. Overall the job is great, you walk around outside all day and the management doesn't care what you do as long as you make the numbers (ie, deliver the mail quickly and with accuracy).