Working at United Healthcare — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about United Healthcare pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at United Healthcare

Location -5
Co-worker Competence -5
Work Environment -5

ALERT

The Roanoke Call Center is a festering cesspool of mismanagement and melo-drama. Incomptence and incoherence with a big dose of tone deafness permiate the punitive atmosphere from the disgustingly filthy call floor to the disgustingly myopic so called "leadership."

If you want to work in a place with marginal benefits for a huge company, need a daily dose of "do as I say, not as I do", and think that low pay with no job advancement are a good career move, then this IS the place for you.

The so-called training and training manager, (AH) is a joke. You are expected to be perfect as she force feeds you "opportunites for improvement" while at the same time making judgments and pronouncements based on gossip and dysfunctional rumor mill BS, while not checking the facts as you get thrown under the bus. They are ripe fofr a union organizing effort and for laughs, I hope it happens, if for no other reason than to show these self aggrandizing legends in their own mind see just how out of touch with reality they are,(especially AH the training mgr). It would be funny to hear them say, "What just happened here"

UHG-Roanoke is a true expercise in futility where management says the words of corporate psycho-babble in one breath and in the next decry you when they could not do what you were tasked to do. Very out of touch. If you are going to stay here for any length of time, do not make eye contact and the monkeys won't attack you. But expect to be throen under the by incompetent, self serving dickfores who haven'y got a clue.

Also many new hires are the bottom of the barrel even in a bad economy. Those that are working here are smiling at the managers while plottng a way out, (including the contractors) So be prepared to have coworkers that are childish, self centered morons who aren't smart enough to pass a vision test, then complain to others that their own short falls are somebody else's responsibility.

If they go running to tattle on you based on nothing more than their own neurosis, you have to seat and eat your ration of sh-t or else. You are just supposed to play dumb and be overly happy and not notice how F'd up everything is. So be prepared to jump off this sinking stink hole of a ship at any time. If you are fat dumb and happy you will do just fine. Don't dare display your opposabable thumbs or they will be removed.

A word to the wise, even if you are desparate, avoid this place like Cherynoble. You will be glad you did.

From Kingsport TN — 04/30/2010

I have worked for United Healthcare for two years. I think that overall it is a good company to work for. Yes, their benefits suck, however, for this area, they could have very well brought people in at minumum wage like every other call center, instead they start out at around $5 more than minimum wage, which is very good for this area. After being there only a year, I moved up to another position, so their is opportunity for growth. I do believe there is some favortism, some employees that they simply are afraid to terminate because they think they will retaliate and therefore they please them and ask you to please them to, however this type of stuff will happen anywhere you work. The are pretty flexible in working with you on your schedule, and if you prove that you are dependable and want to learn new things and move up, its definatly an option. Do I love my job? Yes! But there are some days I would say no as it is with any job. I do feel that there are a few people who deserve to be promoteed and aren't, and there are a few who they have promoted who have no clue what they are doing. Overall, the pay is good, the people are nice and the job itself isnt too bad for the pay, they just need to work on the benefits. Working for a Insurance company, we should have better insurance.

From Golden Valley, MN — 02/04/2010

I worked for Target and Best Buy Corporation before and this company is by far the best I've ever worked for in terms of work life balancing.

From San Jose, CA — 02/11/2009

Excellent place to work. They treat employees very well. Though its a small medical staffing company, it has helped me grow into my travel needs. Would recommend them highly.

From Chico — 07/11/2008

I have been working at UHG for 8 years now. I am also in the Rapid Resolution Department. I work at home, and have worked at home for about 5 years now. I must say..This company was one of the first companies to let staff work at home a few years ago...Now many companies have a work at home program. UHG is a good company..Yes there are problems, But I've never had a problem that hasn't been resolved. UHG does require a lot of its employees. One manager used to say " I dont care about efforts, I want to see goals exceeded." And they take that seriously...if you don't meet the goals for your job type, they will lay you off.
If you exceed your goals, you will never have a problem in this company.
On every performace evaluation I have exceeded goals. I now make almost 50,000
as a Phone representative working at home. I spend no money on gas, I work in the comfort of my home and I am very happy. Again, Some of the policies of UHG and decsions made by senior management often upset me, I still think this is a very good company...Don't apply though unless you are ready to give 150% each day..because they REQUIRE results or you'll be on the layoff list..and who could blame them?