Working at United Airlines — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about United Airlines pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at United Airlines

From Chicago, IL, USA — 05/19/2010

United Airlines has grown tremendously over the past three years. United is the most on-time airline of it's major airline competitors, has steadily improved its customer satisfaction scores, and has invested in the tool and needs of the employees. Yes, there are many areas of improvement, but the post-bankruptcy United is making strides to improve both the employee and customer experience. No one knows what the Continental Merger holds, but it's impossible to say that the company's performance is not on an upswing. The fact that there have been montly payouts of the Performance Plan speaks volumes to the fact that employees are delivering results and customers are taking notice. Please, don't get bogged down in stereotypes.

From Chicago, IL — 02/26/2010

After losing my job and being unemployed for over 18 months, I took a job with United. Yes, they pay is very low to start but over the last 5 years, it has steadily increased to the point that it's almost a living wage. I have a spouse with a decent income, so that helps a lot.

The hours are also terrible if you have children but mine are grown, so it doesn't matter that my "weekend" is in the middle of the week. Most of the people at the station in my city are good. Of course, there are some morons but that is anywhere you work. I used to work out in the elements, but since I am very computer literate, I am almost always inside now.

Many agents don't like the stress of working with the customers but I like being at the counter. I treat them with respect even after they stop treating me with respect but after a point I simply tell them "enough" and if they continue, airport security is there in a flash. Sure, I'd like my high-paying job back but I'm a Service Director now and that beats the hell out of the unemployment line. Also, we've seen a lot of the world for free now, so if you like travel, it can be a great perk.

From Chicago, IL — 09/19/2009

I really like working at United Airlines. I am well-paid for my work, have great and respected colleagues, love the work, have seen the entire world and feel good about what I produce for the company.

My least favorite part of the job is having to hear all of the pre-bankruptcy employees talk about how things were in 1974. Please find a new job or get on board with the fact that the world changed, the airline industry is boundlessly challenging and competitive costs are elemental to survival.

From Washington DC — 09/10/2007

Pay-of course bankruptcy cut wages, but still better than some jobs out there considering the job (f/a)
Respect-management is trying to turn around morale with changes but still a large part of the force is mad at cuts from bankruptcy
Security- Profit= Still have a job
Work-Life Balance= 11 days off a month...more than average worker
Growth=Aging Workforce... Retirement Soon
Location=Nations Capital Need I say More
Co-Workers=Highly Trained Professionals
Work Environment=Still low morale but every day is a new day ahead. The others wont get me down. Love my job!