Working at Union Pacific — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Union Pacific pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Union Pacific

From Pocatello, Idaho — 08/02/2010

As a wife of a railroader, I find some of the reviews appalling. Come on, you walked into this job with your eyes wide open, you know what was going to happen and what was expected of you! Yes the hours suck, and the work/family life situation sucks, and I understand it is hard to be able to do anything as as family, but for goodness sake, you have 90 minutes to report for work once you have been called, so unless you are at Disneyland, (which you should have laid off for) you have plenty of time to finish your family outing. As for being called all the time for different jobs... you put in for the job.. suck it up! You were told in the very beginning, even on you application page, that you were expected to be on call 24/7 365 days a year, any kind of weather and job surrounding... you knew it yet still went for the job. QUIT COMPLAINING.

No, the managers aren't very nice, but find me any job were they are. No, they wont "pour money into your pockets", you may actually have to work for that. No, you may not always work, my husband has been laid of for a year and a half and has just now been called back. But I tell you what... you will NEVER get better medical coverage, you will NEVER get better retirement, and you will NEVER find better security in the long run for your family working for any other company than UP.

If you hate your job, QUIT... try and find another job, especally in this economy, that will be as good as UP. SUCK IT UP AND DEAL or QUIT SO THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY WANT TO WORK AND APPRECIATE THEIR JOBS, BUT ARE FURLOUGHED, CAN WORK.

From Omaha, NE — 01/11/2010

This is a company to retire with! I work in Omaha, Nebraska at the headquarters building. There is a vast amount of opportunity, good pay and great benefits. If you come to our building, you will find a good part of our workforce retiring. Once you hire on with UP, you stay. It astonishes me when people tell me they have worked for this company for 30, 35 and even 40 years! You donít find that everywhere.

Yes, we are going through some hard times, just like every other company. We have many people furloughed, but this is our industry. Our hires/employees are based on the business we foresee us having. With the economy where it is, it puts a lot of union employees out of work.

The railroads will recover! There is a reason why Warren Buffet bought one. He believes there is a strong future!

From Milpitas, CA — 04/03/2009

Great company to work for with 140+ years to back it up. Good hours, good pay, good benefits.

From Little Rock, AR — 09/20/2007

UP offers excellent pay, It's about the only place you can work without a college degree and earn more than 100,000 a year. Benefits are great,especially health and dental. The retirement plan is excellent, can't be beat. Job security is good if you do your job well. If you do not perform well, you could be in trouble. One myth that I would like to disspell, is your always on the road. Well if you want the big money 100K or more u are, but if u can take 50K U can work 20 to 30 hrs a week. In todays job market it can't be beat!!!!!!!