Working at Union Bank of California — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Union Bank of California pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Union Bank of California

From Bay Area, CA — 01/25/2010

I am a recent hire with Union Bank as a Financial Service Officer. I came over from Wells Fargo and as I understand there have been a lot of acquisitoin from Wells Fargo since they brought over a lot of executives from Wells. The training at Wells is 10 times better than what it is here, as is the current technology (but Union Bank is teaming up with InfoSys to update their systems), and the bankers from Wells are a lot hungier. I can see why the new execs want bankers from Wells. My sales goals for the week are comparable to the sales goals I had at Wells Fargo I had to complete in 2 days! As I said I just started and I am already ranked in the top 50% of the division even without one of my metrics being counted toward my weighted average! Work/Life balanace is excellent, 830 to 530 m-f. But they are extending Fridays to 6 soon, still beats 9-645 monday- saturday and still get paid for only 40 hours at Wells!! Job Security should be good, you can easily attain the goals so just don't be shady and u'll be okay. Don't know about career potential yet, I wan to get licensed I wonder how long it'll take. Benefits are WHACK compared to the BOFAs and WellsFargos out there probably because its a smaller company. The HMOs and Dental Insurance is way more pricey than the big banks but I doubt I'll need em here! Its such a cushy job.Stress makes u sick and I'm NOT streesed here! Even if the Wells execs are making it harder its still a breeze!!

Advice: join one of the big banks, work there for a couple years and transfer over for a big raise and cushy job. I have friends at a lot of different banks and from what I can gather Wells Fargo has the best training and makes you the most complete banker. But working there will stress you OUT, just look em up on jobvent and u'll see what I mean!

From San Francisco, CA — 11/29/2009

I have been at Union for over ten years. Ever since the bank changed from Union Bank of California to Union Bank, they have completely changed for the worst. They hired some terrible execuitives from Countrywide Bank to run the retail side, and he brought in other executives from Wells Fargo to run Union Bank of California. They have completely ruined the culture of the bank and employees moral is at a all time low. People are leaving every day beause of the stress, and preaditory banking practices they are engaging us in now. Many employees are going on stress leave and even taking down grades in job levels because of the redicilious way they treat us. Don't waste your time.

From Brea, California — 11/02/2009

This is a good company to work for because the management team and escalation experts are great. I used to work for this bank and was so sorry to leave it for Edison which is a horrible, horrible company. The growth opportunity and training is superb. I highly recommend this company.

From San Francisco, CA — 11/03/2008

Union Bank of California is a good work environment for most levels of employee. The pay, as with any bank, is not far above average for your common titles, from Vice President down. For Senior Vice Presidents and up, pay is very high and there are many associated perks (like monthly car allowance!). Generally, work/life balance is respected and families are supported. Benefits are standard, but not stellar; this can be a challenge, especially with Silicon Valley just down the road from Union Bank's headquarters in San Francisco. Lots of people in this area are used to meals being brought in, gyms in the buildings, on-site daycare, 100% casual dress, just to name a few. Keep in mind, though, that banks get 10 holidays, Union Bank adds a floating holiday every year, and you are able to purchase an additional week of vacation every year through pre-tax payroll deduction. It's rare for ANYONE to be in the offices after 6PM, and many people don't even show up for work till 9AM most days.

I have interacted with people from all areas of the bank and generally found that they're competent, good to work with, and respectful of their coworkers. Job security is reliable because the executive management is committed to retaining hard workers who've proven their worth to the company (even after the company has been taken over by the Japanese parent bank). If you're a slacker or don't put forth a concerted effort, you won't be rewarded either monetarily or with loyalty from management. In terms of job advancement, the company has been lacking in providing a good career path for most employees. If you want to advance and work your way up, it's up to you to take the bull by the horns and go for it. You are able to, but you've got to make the first move - don't count on any of your managers to push you up or put you forth. Most of them don't stand in your way and will be supportive, but you have to make the effort.

Union Bank has headquarters in San Francisco, and major employment centers in Los Angeles, San Diego, and Monterey Park (IT). They're all good places to live and the facilities are generally neat, clean, and modern. Most of the bank is a cubicle environment, except (again!) for those SVPs and up. This can tend to be a negative: there is definitely a two-class system at work in Union Bank in terms of how the higher-ups are treated from the lower-downs. It's an unfortunate artifact of the "good old boy" way of banking. One thing that does not seem to happen at Union Bank that does happen at some other banks is that women are treated equally with men in all respects. There are just as many female SVPs as male ones, and women regularly advance their careers as frequently as men do.

The big negatives of working for Union Bank of California include the following:

1. Lack of communication from executive management. To their credit, they seem to be working on this but it's a top-down initiative from the CEO and COO. It's going to take time.

2. Lack of pay on parity with competitors, both in the same industry and in other industries for similar jobs. There doesn't seem to be any movement on this front recently, and it is unlikely to happen with the economy in the state it is in today (late 2008).

3. The occasional numskull employee you have to deal with. This is in every job I have ever had, and will be till the end of time. Banks can make havens for these kind of people, though, so you may run into one or two more, percentage wise, than you would at another workplace. Union Bank tries not to, but it happens.

Overall, it's a positive place to work with a lot of good qualities. It's a bank, after all, and offers the good things that banks traditionally do as an employer (decent benefits, good job security, non-stressful environment, etc.) and the bad things (though fewer in number) that banks traditionally do as an employer (average or slightly below average pay, non-cutting edge jobs, two-class environment that is fostered by a haves and have-nots scale of SVPs+ and VPs-). I recommend it.

From LA, CA — 03/22/2008

I'm a Financial Advisor who works under a Senior Financial Advisor. (Pretty much as an assistant). This company is the best. The pay is extremely competitive but the 'people' is its most valuable asset. The company pays for all licensing upfront.(non of those "we'll reimburse you after you stay for 6 months and make us tons of money" cr*p) Paid medical, cell phone you name it.