Working at ulta Salon And cosmetics — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about ulta Salon And cosmetics pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at ulta Salon And cosmetics

From ULTA NEWBIE — 08/16/2010

WOW! A friend of mine told me to check out this site, she said the reviews were pretty bad, but damn!! Most of them are for retail. I've never worked a day of retail in my life, I have however, been a hair stylist for 10yrs. The complaints I saw from stylists were really sad. Poor leadership can kill a stylist quicker than anything I've ever seen, I left my last salon because of it. Lets keep it real though, no matter what company you do hair for, if you've got "IT", your gonna shine. I hate to be the one to say it but if the clients aren't coming back thats on You.

PAY totally average for a salon. If your new to a company you don't get to start out on top, if you can't climb up thats your problem.

RESPECT Demand respect and you'll get it.

BENEFITS totally average

JOB SECURITY does anyone have that now a days?

WORK/LIFE BALANCE I keep the two seperate and it magically works

CAREER GROWTH I've jumped two levels in 8 months. We started out with NO salon leader, we've turned it all the way around... But then again we are doers and not talkers...

All I'm saying is I'm totally bummed about all the crappy mngrs and bad experiences, but I've had a blast building my skills, clientele, my gurls, and our salon into the awesome place it is today. Maybe some of these people (not all) should take a look at their role in 'the most horrible experience of their lives'!

From TX — 05/31/2010

I read all these reviews before I applied to ULTA and am glad that I ignored them.

I have been employed part-time by ULTA for about a year while studying at a local university full-time. As a beauty consultant, I work the registers and walk the floor - and clean the restrooms. It's a little ridiculous that some people think they're above cleaning restrooms, as you *are* working in a retail store for what, around $8/hour for most? So pretentious.

I love the managers at my location and the people I work with. They are personable, professional, and I even consider some of my coworkers to be close friends. For some, this makes for a high-drama workplace, but that sort of problem is not one caused by the corporation.

The goals are completely reasonable and easy to meet if you exert even the smallest effort. As for Instyle subscriptions, it's only a scam if your intent is to submit the request on the register before the customer understands that he/she must contact Instyle to stop the magazines from arriving. Explain to them how it works clearly, and answer their questions courteously. It's your choice to let them be ignorant or not.

As a part-time employee and full-time student, I only expect 15-20 hours a week (which I get, and sometimes more). Not all ULTA locations are as terrible as reviews here make it seem. The managers are understanding and don't have the authority to hand out raises often even to those who deserve them. They are at the mercy of the corporate just as much as we are. However, I feel that I must mention that in my short time working here, I *have* received a raise...

As for having to tote around clear bags for possessions, it's true, and it's not exactly humiliating since the managers have to do the same. It's protocol - get over it. As for cameras in the bathrooms (it was mentioned on here somewhere), it's a myth.

From Sugarland,Texas — 04/19/2010

I hated working at this unorganized place! They never gave any hours neither did they have a good set of communication skills with their employees-the discount was okay-but for the prices of the items it didn't help much. I would only really recommend high school or someone that's looking for a career in this field. It's alright to shop but not to work!