Working at ULTA Cosmetics — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about ULTA Cosmetics pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at ULTA Cosmetics

From TX — 05/31/2010

I read all these reviews before I applied to ULTA and am glad that I ignored them.

I have been employed part-time by ULTA for about a year while studying at a local university full-time. As a beauty consultant, I work the registers and walk the floor - and clean the restrooms. It's a little ridiculous that some people think they're above cleaning restrooms, as you *are* working in a retail store for what, around $8/hour for most? So pretentious.

I love the managers at my location and the people I work with. They are personable, professional, and I even consider some of my coworkers to be close friends. For some, this makes for a high-drama workplace, but that sort of problem is not one caused by the corporation.

The goals are completely reasonable and easy to meet if you exert even the smallest effort. As for Instyle subscriptions, it's only a scam if your intent is to submit the request on the register before the customer understands that he/she must contact Instyle to stop the magazines from arriving. Explain to them how it works clearly, and answer their questions courteously. It's your choice to let them be ignorant or not.

As a part-time employee and full-time student, I only expect 15-20 hours a week (which I get, and sometimes more). Not all ULTA locations are as terrible as reviews here make it seem. The managers are understanding and don't have the authority to hand out raises often even to those who deserve them. They are at the mercy of the corporate just as much as we are. However, I feel that I must mention that in my short time working here, I *have* received a raise...

As for having to tote around clear bags for possessions, it's true, and it's not exactly humiliating since the managers have to do the same. It's protocol - get over it. As for cameras in the bathrooms (it was mentioned on here somewhere), it's a myth.

From TX — 05/11/2010

I really miss my job at Ulta. I wish I never quit. It's a good place to work if you're looking for something part time while in school or college. The pay wasn't that great, but the work was super easy so it didn't bother me much. We got samples for getting a certain number of people to sigh up for Ulta cards. Which is really easy, btw. The only thing I didn't like was the register system, it was so out dated, but maybe that was just the store I worked.

From everett — 01/31/2010

Lets face it. Nothing is perfect, no one is perfect, no job is perfect, But I do believe that this company only has one eye open most of the time. A penny wise and a dollar foolish. Mirrors on the side walls facing down at a slant over fragrance dept would help 100%.If a customer or employee should need your help and you must move from one place to another, I believe, you would still be able to watch whats going on.. Also, most companies have cleaning crew come in weekly, why must employees clean toilets and floors and be expected to look good at all times. I hata trash day at my house, and we all know as employees we
are expected to do this at ulta. I think this company expects way too much from its employees for what they are paid.

From Maryland — 01/10/2010

I've been with Ulta for a few months now, and all in all, this is the best retail job I've ever had.

However.... Employees of Ulta are treated like criminals on probation. Never, in 15 years of working, have I ever been looked at with such a suspicious eye. Workers are forbidden from carrying purses or bags unless they are clear plastic. When you leave the store, you must stand at the front door in front of the cameras and allow a manager to rifle through your bag, turn out your pockets, and you're even required to un-zip your jacket, to prove you aren't stealing anything. It's equally humiliating and rage inducing. I have keys to the store, alarm codes, safe codes and am responsible for thousands of dollars every day, yet corporate is convinced that if I wasn't strip searched every night, I'd leave with a $5 lipstick in my pocket.

On the plus side, we get a great discount, good pay, tons of gratis (free products), discounted and free salon services, monetary bonuses for good sales (management only), and fab benefits. The job is pretty easy, and you don't have to work crazy hours or wear ugly uniforms. As long as you can keep the gossip and employee cat fighting to a minimum (hard in an all-female store, I know), it's a fun and friendly place. Even the customers are unusually friendly and pleasant.

From South Carolina — 12/01/2009

I have worked for this company for a while. I absolutely love it. I moved up quick and was compensated every time. I feel truly feel sad for those of you who took time to trash this company. My pay is respectable, my work is always appreciated, and my boss is amazing. Maybe you were in a unique situation. The company as a whole is one of the best jobs to have. With the economy the way it is, we are still profiting. Maybe it was you, not Ulta.

From Philly Burbs — 09/18/2009

Last year this place really sucked!! People calling out all the time. Me left to do all the work. Managers never worked, they stayed in the office or left early and the store was filthy. We had no DM for a while and our GM was a complete idiot. Around the fall we got a new DM and a new GM. Since then things are better and its not a bad place to work. The GM actually listens to us and we see the DM every few weeks. He talks to us and seems nice, asks what he can do for us...WOW... I asked for a raise and he did not give it to me. Something about waiting till next year, that BS. At least it seems like the DM and GM care about this place for once and the store is cleaner. Even a few other stores around us are cleaner too. Still too many shoplifters and druggies coming in. I hate having to stay in fragrance to prevent theives from stealing.
If they paid more I would try to get into a managers role.
They need more 40% employee days.

From Mooresville, NC — 08/17/2009

Ulta is just like any other retail company; It's fine to work for if you're doing it part time or while in college. I've been with the company a little over two years and haven't had a raise and my hours go up and down, which are major negatives but other than that, like I said, it's fine if you don't expect to make a career out of it. The managers at my store are fantastic to work for and I think that's the most you can hope for when you work part time/not at management level in any large corporation.