Working at UCLA - UC Los Angeles — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about UCLA - UC Los Angeles pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at UCLA - UC Los Angeles

From Los Angeles, Califor — 06/26/2008

I recently lost my job at UCLA due to racial discrimination. I was one of the only African American employees in my particular department. The food service industry was fine, the students we served were fine, but my co-workers and supervisors were very difficult to deal with. Upon getting hired, the first thing I noticed was the segregation which I initially intended to ignore, but as time went on, this became increasingly difficult. I was being alienated from most all of my co-workers which hampered the communication and obliterated all potential trust. I was often forced to take my breaks at certain times in order to accommodate my co-workers who wanted to eat their lunches together. These breaks were determined by senior employees and not managers or supervisors. During my time there I was instructed not to complain about strange or unusual or things I simply did not agree with. I became intimidated and did not speak up when my supervisor started disrespecting me. Day after day, my supervisor would bump into me with roller carts, step on my foot, or in a haste push me while trying to get by me. Never once did my former supervisor excuse himself or apologize. Weeks went by and the perpetual disrespect continued. I observed how he treated other employees, often laughing and joking with them, while he remained very stern with me. At times I'd speak to him, and he'd act as if he never heard me. I'd often have to take the bulk of the work load having to carry heavy boxes, take orders, and prepare food all in one setting. I sustained many cuts and bruises and was never really assisted on anything despite the fact that we were all supposed to be a team. One day after my supervisor ran into with another roller cart, I decided I was no longer going to get mistreated. I confronted my supervisor and calmly asked him why he treated me differently than my co-workers. He denied my claims and involved other workers by asking them if they believed my accusations to be true, they all claimed to be oblivious of my claims and later after clocking out for the day, I was called into the office and inevitably permanently dismissed. I then knew why I was dismissed but also knew I was going to have difficulty proving my case. I scheduled an appointment with the Office of Affirmative Action and had my claims investigated. There was only one person willing to testify on my behalf and she even came forward with proof that my former supervisor was racist, presenting a report from several years prior after overhearing a conversation between him and another supervisor regarding the dismissal of all African American employees in order to make the working environment "clean". My witness was dismissed and so was my case. I then went to the Employee Union and spoke with a union worker who investigated my case. After talking to all of my co-workers, supervisors, and managers,again my case was dismissed because it appeared that no one was willing to admit to discrimination or testify on my behalf. I eventually let my frustration get the better of me and gave up. It has not been a secret that a majority of the staff has been and still is racist. I thought briefly that the situation could have been my fault, but upon reflection, I remembered that I was never late, never took long breaks, was willing to stay overtime, was never belligerent or disrespectful to neither the students nor my co-workers. I've seen many of my co-workers do all of those things at some time or another and none of them were reprimanded or warned in any fashion. My dismissal was racially discriminatory and I can only hope no one else is forced to endure what I had to endure. I was angry initially but realized leaving is the best thing that has happened to me.

From Los Angeles, Califor — 02/12/2008

I get paid well for what I do. We have a union which does have some stupid-a** rules, like you are only able to get a raise of a certain percent of your current income. This has held me back from a promotion because my current salary and the beginning salary of the new job were to disparate. The University as a whole values it’s employees which shows in our above-average benefits, life/work balance seminars, flextime and a department entirely devoted to help each and every one of us succeed in our career and home life. My personal job security is high because what I do is very specialized. With the current budget cuts in the state, the University has chosen to lower our regular raises rather than lay people off. While a lower raise may suck, wouldn’t being out of work be worse?! I would rather get no raise at all than lose my job. This university has many opportunities for those that wish to move up the ladder and all you have to do is ask for them. From education credits to career counseling, they provide it all. This is LA so location, no matter where you are, sucks. We pay for parking, sit in traffic and suffer each and every day on our way to work and home. However, we do have a Transportation Office which will help you with everything from planning a bus route, finding a vanpool and even finding a carpooling partner in your area. My work areas are great for my field. They are clean and tidy most of the time and most people care about what they do. My co-worked competency is lacking in many areas and I mostly blame the union and the few that preach it’s benefits. Those people have the attitude of entitlement that I see in so many people these days, the opinion that this employer somehow OWES it to us to give us raises, promotions and anything else we want. The truth of the matter is, you should WORK for what you DESERVE, not deserve it just for being here. This University owes us nothing but our paycheck at the end of the months. All the other things they offer are because they CARE. If you think you are being slighted you only have to look at yourself, your behavior, your attitude and your record as an employee. We are not OWED respect, WE EARN IT. You will get respect as a human being but as far as moving up the ladder here, you need to show you care and are capable to do the job. You should not get a promotion just because you have been here for 20 years. Buck up and EARN IT!! ** Bottom line: this is a great place work if you care about what you do and want to participate in the success of the University. If you are in it just for yourself, you do not belong here. This University is the epitome of TEAMWORK and with teamwork sometimes come sacrifice. But the rewards are, in the immortal words of Ferris Bueller, “Sooo choice!”