Work at U.S. Marine Corps — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about U.S. Marine Corps pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at U.S. Marine Corps

From Camp Pendleton, CA — 09/22/2008

Having been a reservist before being active duty, and having held a civilian job, I have a little different perspective on these things. For the respect issue, it goes both ways. People are more extreme with Marines. they love you, they hate you, and it gets a little unnerving. I've had people treat me like a rock-star, and other people pick fights. Oh well, their choice. The Benefits and pay, pretty damn good compared to a lot of people, not as great for some. I am college educated and enlisted. Could I make more money, sure. I make enough so it doesn't bug me too much. Job security, well I am from a law enforcement family. As long as people want to fight I'll have a job. The day world peace breaks out I'll get fired. Until then I help kill people for a living. Is it good or bad? Oh well, I tend to not care either way. Work/life balance, for those people obsessed with doing whatever they do, cool, this job might not work for you because we tend to work a lot and go on deployments to far off countries a lot. When I was a civilian I worked way too much, more than I do now, and my life and health suffered for it. Career potential and growth are interesting because our job paths are murky and obtuse. As an enlisted man I can go to the top of my field and still be subordinate to a person far less educated and intelligent than I am because he/she took a commision. On again, oh well. I avoid the stress of having to take final responsability and I get to sport some evil looking chevrons with a bomb in the middle. For the location I rated it high because I have only ever served in Pendleton. however I have trained back east and overseas and in 29 stumps. They are miserable places filled with miserable backwards people who steal from and hurt Marines at a prodigidous rate. At least here in Pendleton I can drive twenty minutes away and meld into the scenery. if anyone asks if I am a Marine I can say no, and my hair is low enough to pass for a fire fighter. Co-worker competence is iffy. If the platoon is bad or if it was broken when you got it, life will be hell. Fortunately I am an NCO and can avoid most of the badness my keeping the good Marines near me and isolating the dumb asses from my circle of trust. Seniors, a hit or miss proposition. My current Platoon commander and Seargent are awesome and even though we don't always get along they have treated us all fairly and with respect. My last platoon was different and we were cursed with possibly the worst command staff ever. to this day I hope those two die before they breed anymore and ruin our gene-pool. And finally, work environment. In my last job I saw more civilians die do to their own stupidity thatn I've seen Marines die in combat and civilian accidents combined. I've been very fortunate to have subordinates who listen to my words about safety, "get hurt doing something stupid and I will strangle you to death slowly." A little vicious, yes. However, in over eight years not one of my Marines has ever been hurt in a traffic accident, a fight, or been stopped for DUI. So, knock on wood I can keep that record for another two years. In summary, I do love my job, even after having been screwed over in some of the ways that has happened. I would still recommend the job to a young person who is interested. I would never disrespect anyone who didn't join as long as they gave me a little respect. That's it.

From Folsom, PA — 04/24/2008

I'm in the Marine Corps reserve. I'm sure there's going to be a post or 2 after this one labeling me as a tampon or something to that affect. After two tours in Iraq, 4 lost friends, and scores of successful missions, I don't take very kindly to that kind of sentiment.
The pay isn't bad. I know some guys who can make a lot more working overtime on a Saturday or doing side work, but then again there are a lot of guys, especially college students, where the reserves is practically all they have. The respect aspect depends highly on the unit you're with, but I think in the reserves junior Marines tend to get more respect. I have a PFC who runs his own Construction company, 2 cops, a fire fighter, 2 engineers, and a concrete worker in my platoon. It would be foolish not to rely on their skills when needed. The benefits in the reserves aren't fantastic but they are getting better. If you are activated, you can look forward to an increse in benefits, esecially the MGIB. Job security: a lot more than most part time jobs can offer. You would think that being a reservist, it would be incredibly easy to balance your work (one weekend a month, 2 weeks in the summer) with your life. But that one weekend comes by pretty fast each month. Those two weeks in the summer can really interrupt work and school.
Career potential is pretty good. Its what you make of it. There is a little bit of favoritism played and its unfortunate. Sometimes the brown nosers get ahead a little faster. I, for one, have never brown nosed and I am known to speak my opinion. I've been promoted as fast as anyone else. No complaints here. Location: in the reserves, you pick the location. If its tough for you, its your own fault. There are ways to transfer as well. Co-worker competence can be an issue. A lot of Marines don't WANT to learn things so that they won't be called upon to do them. But overall, Marine Reservist show a lot of common sense. There have been several active duty Marine who check into our unit and have commented that your average PFC in the reserves is a better thinker than your average PFC on active duty.
The work environment isn't bad. It can be a little frenzied since you often have to cram weeks worth of training into a weekend. But usually the frenzy is taking place at the E-5 and above level. Usually...
All in all I would say the reserves is a different experience than I thought it would be. Sometimes challenging, sometimes a breeze. Things don't always go my way, but I do feel as though I am doing something a little important, or at least part of something important.
Semper Fi

From Wherever they need m — 03/28/2008

Anyone reading this who's considering joining the Marine Corps, let me tell you something. Life in the Marine Corps is not always going to be what you see on TV or what your recruiter told you it would be like. Honestly, it does suck sometimes. Yes, you will put in long hours. Yes, you may be away from your family and have no way to see them for long periods of time. Yes, if your not wearing some rank or brass on your collar you might get crapped on at times. You know what though, THAT'S LIFE! It dosen't matter what you do, there will always be struggle and hardships that you must face at some point in your career. However, if you are one of the very few Americans who can claim the proud title of United States Marine, you can go home knowing that what you do means so much more than anything you could have done elsewhere. For me, that just makes a warm feeling creep up inside. That's something I've never felt at any other profession, and probably will never feel again when I leave. To me, the pride of knowing what I am now vs what I was before is enough. Not everyone feels that way though. Some of the posters here have proven that this life is not for everyone. I only hope that anyone who isn't happy with the decision they made when they decided they wanted to be a Marine doesn't mess it up for the rest of us who wanted more than to just chase around girls in dress blues. If you're one of those people than do yourself and me a favor and call up another branches recruiter. But, if you are someone who wants to make a difference in this world and are willing to invest a little blood, a lot of sweat, and shed a few tears than I will gladly stand beside you and call you my brother. OOHRAH for the greatest little gun club in the world.

From north carolina — 03/09/2008

Get put of my MARINE CORPS, you whiney little bitch ass......Call your mommy and tell her you are quitting because it is too hard and that mean SSgt made you go to Iraq during the war. Don't ever think of joining the VFW or the American Legion and take the damn Once a Marine Always a Marine bumber sticker off your VW and never in this life tell your marine stories to a civilian, you just don't rate.

From Camp Pendleton (hono — 03/26/2007

Honorably discharged 2002. For those of you complaining about pay, most of you would be making much less as a Civilian. Unless you are a Dr, Lawyer, Civil Engineer or CFO of a large company, quit crying about how you would make more as a civilian. VHA/Comrats are non-taxable and add a lot of money to your pay, but those of you complaining about it obviously have little more than a high-school education and a trailer park up bringing. The Marine Corps did not promise you a bed of roses. My recruiter told me if I was looking for free college money to join the Army or Air Force. There are buttholes everywhere you go; civilian or military. I had some great leaders and some that belonged in the Special Olympics. However if you have no college or job skill traning and want to make a decent living the military is the ticket for your first 8 years. An E-3 married will make close to 40K when it is all said and done. No job with less than 2 years experience or degree will offer you that. An E-3 with 2 years in makes base pay of 1729/Mo. If you are married living off base say in Camp Pendleton you get 1400 per month and aprrox 260 per month for food that is non taxed so that is really like making an additinonal 2500 per month of taxable income. So for all you uneducated crybabies crying about making 40K per year, get the phuck out and take a job at Mc Donald's or driving a forklift for 8.50 per hour. Yeah living in the barracks sucks and is not like living out in town but most of you would not know how to pay your bills anyway. And if any of you turds think you can make 40K with little or no education or a great trade under your belt right out of high school, give me some of that kool-aid you are drinking. SEMPER FIDELIS

From Discharged (Honorabl — 03/01/2007

If you enlisted after 9/11 and didn't expect to go to war, you're an idiot. I spent 7 year in the Corps, including a tour in Iraq, and the last 10 months stop lossed. Iraq sucks, but I would do it again if asked. If you enlisted for the college money and didn't expect to have to pay it back somehow, again, you're an idiot. The pay sucks, but after my morgage, bills etc, I have less as a civilian, without the retirement benefits. As far as the work/life balance, I got out to spend time with my family. My son was 3 months old when I deployed to Iraq. The people I knew were the best people I'll ever work with. I don't think anyone I work with now would lay their life down for me. Basically, to all you whiners, you volunteered. There have been Marines in combat continously since 2001, why didn't you think you would have to go too?

From All Over — 03/01/2007

In the Corps for eight years. Have been all over the country, Okinawa, Bahrain, Iraq. For all of you guys on here complaining...You signed the contract. Who are you going to blame but yourself. Pay is ok, I had a great housing allowance, but can always be better. Benefits are great, try paying for some of what we get in the civilian world. We would all give up half of our pay every two weeks. Had some great locations and some not so great. Get over it. Co-workers...always comes down to that 10% who slipped through and are idiots.

From CA — 09/28/2006

I'm ashamed of calling you a U.S. Marine. for saying what you did, you should be shot, along with your whole family. You are a disgrace to the Marines and the country. Idiot!!! I feel bad for your family. You should be court marshaled for this... No respect for the uniform...