Work at U.S. Cellular — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about U.S. Cellular pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at U.S. Cellular

From Wisconsin — 07/01/2008

I recently left US Cellular after nearly 10 years as a retail sales rep, and have regretted it ever since. US Cellular is a wonderful place to work. Excellent pay, great benefits, and caring management. There is huge potential for growth, I have seen so many of my co-workers move from a sales rep like me to huge management positions. The management does whatever they can do help get you there too. The customer service that USC provides is excellent, the reception and phone service is by far superior, and although they are somewhat slow on offering on new technology, it is always worth the wait. The only bad parts about working here is the quota for new line activations is nearly unattainable, only about 10% of the reps at my store could ever hit the quota, however they let you make up those loses through other vary attainable services to sell. The other bad part is obvious--retail hours--nights and weekends, if it wasn't for that I would have stayed forever. They do try their best to schedule you when you would like to work and try to make it fair. It is hands-down the best paying part-time job out there, I made nearly $40k working 25 hrs/wk. My full-time co-workers made about $55-65k working 40 hrs. It is not difficult work AT ALL, and they don't require much of you accept to provide great customer service, and you still get paid very well. They have an open communication policy where you can open up on how you are feeling, without fear of reprisal, and the managers truly listen and care. Every year USC does what they call a "culture survey" which is hosted through an outside company. This survey is sent to ALL employees to get feedback on things such as their managers, how they feel about their position, the company, etc. The also have an open narrative where you can write anything you are feeling, and every word of it gets read and compiled. Based on how the employees are feeling, they make changes because of positive/negative input from its employees. It is a very supportive environment, and they really work to grow and develop you. The D.O. (dynamic organization) is slightly annoying at certain work functions, some of which sort of remind me of a high school pep rally, but they truly care about their customers and employees, and do these functions to keep there employees pumped up. It is an extremely honest and ethical company, and I am very proud to say that I had worked there. I love US Cellular and would highly recommend their service and employment to everyone who wants to work in a positive working environment, if you have a negative personality, don't bother applying!

From Waukesha, WI — 01/13/2008

I have been working at US Cellular for over a year now and I cannot find one thing really wrong other than the drive to get to work. Pay is great, plenty of room to grow and get higher positions, the people are super to work with. Also my job is very secure at this location.

From St. Louis, MO — 11/05/2007

Great job. It's actually very enjoyable to work here, with only a few things that could be better. The business model and the culture is excellent, but when you achieve a leadership position in the company, some of the benefits of that culture are very hard to see. For instance, your work life balance goes to hell when you become a manager, as you will set up your schedule and then get a phone call one morning expecting you to change your entire day, and if you have a staffing problem on your day off or on a day you are sick, if you don't cover the staffing need you're called inflexible. Another challenge as a manager is unlike other companies, it is almost impossible to seperate problem employees. If you're managing an associate who has a bad attitude and has a problem with you and you can't resolve the situation, you are stuck until s/he makes enough mistakes to get written up.

From Lynchburg, VA — 06/21/2006

Unlike the prior comment this job is actually a very good one. I was a sales consultant with US cellular for 3 years. In my time with the company we had one person fired in our office. He was fired not for lack of "being dynamic" but ultimately because he stole from the company. Pay is not bad, one of the best commission plans I've seen for cell phones. The company taylors to your personal life very well in terms of scheduling and having specific days off. Most co workers were compotent, some just slow to pick up on things. The company definately promotes from within, the manager of my store was promoted to area manager and one of my colleages took her place. Overall US cellular is a great place to be employed. I enjoyed my time there and recommend a position with the company to anyone.