Working at U.S. Cellular — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about U.S. Cellular pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at U.S. Cellular

From Oregon — 05/19/2010

I work for this company for 4 years as an Retail Wireless Consultant. I absolutely LOVED it for the first 2 years. I couldn't have asked for a better job. It was fun, payed very well, and I felt appreciated. Everything started going down hill after the first 2 years. I informed them I needed to go down to part time 4 months in advance because I was going to go to school. They didn't allow me to change to part time status until 2 months after I requested so I was tackling school and work at the same time which was near impossible. Our locations quotas were in a much higher tier than our next closest location which was a much bigger city than us and it was near impossible for any of the RWC's to meet it so they were breathing down our necks every minute of the day. There were many times we were told that if we didn't make quota we may not have a job to come to in the near future. Very stressful environment! There is absolutely NO work/life balance. Your working every minute of every day, whether its customers calling you on your personal/work phone, or being sent on several overnight training's on your only days off which are usual in another state or at least 3 hours away. I must admit, this company is by far the highest rated in customer service and satisfaction. But I wouldn't recommend working for them unless you are completely prepared to dedicate your LIFE to U.S. Cellular.

From NC — 04/18/2010

Best job i have ever had

From Chicago, IL — 04/07/2010

I have worked here for the last 6 years. While not everyone is perfect this is by far the best environment in which I have ever worked. Opportunity is here for anyone willing to take control of their own future, work life balance is on you.

From Iowa — 11/20/2009

Great company, great benefits, great product, good pay. My managers really care and I feel very fortunate to be working for US Cellular. Hiring process is a bit lengthy and in depth but very well worth the wait.

From iowa — 11/19/2009

i work for an agent. i love my job and get paid alright too. after a year working here i got promoted to manage another store. this store does a little less sales than the other store i worked at but we also have another usc and a verizon here. the thing i love most about this job is talking to all kinds of different people and building relationships with them. and its amazing when a moody customer comes in and your smile can turn there whole day around! all the negative things i have read so far point to one thing. THIS IS NOT THE BUISNESS FOR YOU!!!!!! if you like the customer service field but dont have the personality for it go work a drive through!!!!!

From Des Moines, IA — 11/04/2009

I was shocked when I read the previous reviews about US Cellular. As with any workplace, the people that rated US Cellular in this way I have to believe either work for an independent agent (who's standards are not that of corporate USC) or were not a good fit in the environment they are hired. I say this not as a biased employee, rather there is overwhelming evidence of this based on the annual Culture Survey.

The Culture Survey is a comprehensive, anonymous survey that this year 98% of employee's participated in. Of the 98%, 94% agreed that US Cellular is a great place to work. In this year of economic turmoil where jobs are being lost daily and corporate greed is more common then exception, this says so much about the unique qualities of US Cellular.

I have worked for a variety of companies throughout my life, including 4 years in the military, and have never been so proud to work for a company and so happy to wake up and go into work each day. I have been promoted within the first year and a half of working here and my boyfriend (whom I met while working here) has been promoted twice within 2 years. Neither of us have degrees yet who we are, our character and behavior, are what is valued and rewarded which motivates us to lead in the same way.

The business model says it all: effective leaders leads to associate satisfaction lead to customer satisfaction leads to business results. And associates are rewarded; amazing pay, some of the best company benefits I have ever heard of including medical benefits from day 1 (including part time), 401k, 100% tuition reimbursement, and even assistance in purchasing computers and adoption.

Anyone would be lucky to work for US Cellular, and its a long process to get hired for that reason. I can understand that there are likely 'bad apples' in leadership and front-line that can result in associates not being satisfied, but I guarentee they won't last long!

From Appleton, WI — 09/27/2009

US Cellular is a great place to work...for those that speak badly of the DO they don't get it.....it is truly a great thing when done correctly and can certainly provide both professional and personal benefits.

Flexibility and the ability to think outside the box is extremely necessary with US Cellular, but we have amazing leadership, amazing reception, and amazing plans (as of 6/09) tell me ANYONE that can compete with the 1k nat plan. The focus on work/life balance is nice but, could be a bit better I think....but again..when you work retail hours and make a sales paycheck....you should know what you are getting into. I choose to be a leader in this company tho there is no doubt in my mind I could make more as a RWC....upward mobility is high....and I hope to take advantage of that....

Bottom line is this...i've had 22 jobs in 13 yrs...lived all over the country (6 states) numerous times....and US Cellular is my wireless carrier and employer of choice. I've worked for several of the top employers in the country (Verizon Wireless, Best Buy Corporate in Bloomington, MN, etc) and I still believe in something better with US Cellular.

The Dynamic Organization is akin to the Great Experiment...and it's not about feeling good or things always being perfect....but the principles and fundamentals it's based on I TRULY BELIEVE are sound and will enhance a person....I also have seen it in action....when it works....it works wonderfully. Nothing's perfect...but I tell you what 'Ol Jack's got a hellva a good idea...that has grown and matured...and I see nothing but good things in our future.

From Schaumburg, IL — 08/05/2008

I worked on a contract with US Cellular and the first this to say is that management STINKS here. The benefits and salary for employees are good, the work/life balance can't be beat. You can work here without doing hardly any work and no one will notice. Management spends so much time in meetings they have no idea what is going on with their employees, they are completely incompetent and should not even be in management positions. Lots of employees had GREAT ideas for how to improve things and they were brushed aside. There were plenty of employees who would say they had something going on at home and just work from home so they didn't have to come in, it is basically allowing people to take days off without have to use up vacation or sick time. And management is clueless because they are so out of touch. I wouldn't recommend working here to anyone unless you want a job were you do nothing and get paid for it.

From Bloomington, IL — 07/17/2008

Pay: Certainly competitive with the rest of the industry.
Respect: It's one of the core values of the company and while there are certainly exceptions, it is expected and generally practiced.
Benefits: GREAT...including tuition reimbursement, as well as an interest free, discounted PC purchase plan.
Job Security: In today's employment market...excellent. It does come with expectations of operating within the values of the company...all of which are just good ways to live both personally and professionally.
W/L balance: It's retail...if you choose a career in retail, you know what to expect. Of course there are other departments within the company that offer more traditional work hours, but I like the varied hours of the retail sales environment.
Career/Potential: Great opportunity if you have a desire to grow with the company. The company just launched a new program to develop future leaders.
Location: I work where I live, but wish we had markets in another area, where I'd like to relocate.
Co-workers: Our training here is excellent and every associate must be able to complete a final check before being able to work on the floor.
Work environment: Overall, the best place I've ever worked. If there's an issue, I'm able to provide that feedback and know that it is heard.

From Waukesha, WI — 07/07/2008

I worked in a USC call center for almost 2 years beginning in 2006 and it was a fantastic experience! My coaches touched base with me every month to review my goals and career development plan. I was promoted to tech team after 1 year in cust service. Benefits were awesome but my pay was below average because I had no previous customer service experience. Some of my more experienced coworkers, however, were making over $16/hr.

I felt respected and valued. USC invested heavily in our training and development. They really focused on the "Dynamic Organization" (D.O.) core values, which are customer focus, respect for associates, empowerment, ethics, pride and diversity.

As far as job security, it's not very high because unless you have a positive attitude and really love helping the customers, you won't last long at USC. I lost count of how many of my fellow associates were let go due to poor attendance, crappy attitude or violating customer privacy rules.

The location was right off the highway but still took me 20 minutes to get to.

I left after accepting a promotion to our parent company, TDS.