Working at Travelers Insurance — Reviews by Employees

Learn what employees have to say about Travelers Insurance pay, work/life balance, care potential, job security, and much more by reading our anonymous employee reviews.

Reviews of Jobs at Travelers Insurance

From Hartford, CT — 02/07/2009

Very solid company to work for. Work standards are high but the management team really cares about the staff and spends a lot of time in development. Extremely pleased I came here from a competitor. I hope I am able to move up the ladder.

From PA — 02/03/2009

The pay is good. Management is respectful and listens. Benefits are great. Job security is good. Work/Life Balance is the same as any other job or better, co-workers are great. I am told career growth is there and hope to advance as high as possible. I've worked hard my whole life and Travelers is a good fit for hard workers.

From New York, NY — 01/31/2009

I've been with Travelers now for almost a year and have relatively little complaints. I am not a claims rep though and I know claim representatives in NY are really beleaguered by a lot of claims to manage. So far I feel that I am respected and well-compensated. Sure there are a lot of days when the workload gets to be too much, but I find that if I am organized and efficient - most of it gets done. I came to Travelers from another private sector job and my last jobs were pretty bad. The one thing Travelers is really good at is the technology, esp with the HR self-service feature. It is wonderful to just go online and make all the changes you need to do on the secure intra-net server than having to deal with HR personnel or bureacracy. For a big company, I think its not doing so bad.

From Hartford, CT — 01/24/2009

The pay is average for the industry. The company has a forward-focus and opportunity galore. Be prepared for far-reaching goals and push for constant improvement. Most co-workers are competent. Management is always management but here they do seem to care about the environment in the office and realize that if everyone is miserable, no-one is getting any work done. I have been here a long time and it is a good place to work.

From Washington State — 01/17/2009

Pay: very good pay, but you will only earn great pay if you are lucky enough to be in an office with high achievers
Respect: high degree of respect is demonstrated from management if you earn it and always do what is expected of you
Benetis: better than what many have, and it is certainly nice to have benefits
Work/Life Balance: OK if you are a time-card employee.
Job Security: it more secure here than it is working for most competitors, but not extraordinarily good
Work/Life Balance: OK if you are a time-card employee.
Career Potential/Growth: unable to comment. Things are working out OK for me.
Location: not very many offices - lots of "virtual office" employees - I like that, but some people don't
Co-worker Competence: lots of tenured, long-term employees
Work Environment: actually pretty good compared to major competitors, especially when it comes to claim operations

I like Travelers. I have been in claims for more than 20 years. I have been at Travelers almost 2 years. It is a far better place to work than my prior employer. Some people struggle with change and increasing demand on accountability. Both are actually very good things, but not comfortable for anyone that thrives in a status quo environment. Status quo does not fly here and if you just want to do your job and be left alone, claims is probably not a good place for you to be.

From Hartford — 10/24/2008

I joined Travelers in the past 2 years. I have been in the industry >20years. I have to say that senior leadership within Travelers claims are some of the most impressive and visionary people I have ever met. There is a plan and it is being executed. In an industry that is going to pieces, this is very refreshing. There are no guarantees in life but I thank god every day that I made the decision to join Travelers. The work/life balance is much better and it is great going to work everyday being appreciated for your efforts and the value that you and your team add to the organization. Lets keep the momentum going.

From Southern US — 07/09/2008

I've been at Travelers in the Claims Dept for a year and a half noe. I am happy to be a part of this company. If you work hard you do get noticed and you are appreciated. The upper management actually listen to the field grunts. They can't make it a perfect environment but if something makes sense and can be implemented, it will be implemented. There are problems with all employers. That's life - get over it. Work hard and talk to your managers. They will help you find a career path and you can succeed and go on to bigger and better things if that's what you want to do. My only gripe is the work life balance. But I've worked for 2 other insurance companies in the past. There is no such thing as a work life balance for a claims adjuster at any company. Until claims adjusters are unionized or until maybe the government steps in no insurance company will help an adjuster get a work life balance.

From So Cal — 07/02/2008

Much better than Farmers with the possible exception of the benefits (however, I hear Farmers has made some major changes so Travelers may even be better now). Pay is excellent and the respect is nothing like I ever received in prevous jobs. The people, co-workers, and management are all great to work with. They make it a nice place to go to work. It is claims so work/life is what it is....it doesn't mater which insurance company you work for. Overall, I'm very happy with my decision to join Travelers.

From Pacific Northwest — 03/19/2008

I have been in the insurance industry for over 20 years - Travelers is only the 4th employer that I have had in this industry. Although the line of business that I am in is the "same" as with the other carriers (rules, regs, etc), I have seen enough over the years and know quite a bit about the"competition" - I KNOW that we are doing the right things. Travelers has a lot of integrity - our business model, core values and our people make this a great place to work. The pay is competitive and we are paid for performance. The goals are clear and these are attainable. There is respect not only within my office but within the entire organization. The benefits are good - from life/health/dental coverage to PTO days. You can pick and choose the insurance that fits your needs. The 401K is great. I feel secure in my job - it is challenging and rewarding. There is a work/life balance - some days more than others, but very reasonable workload and everyone works together for the betterment of the team/office/company. There is room for promotions and growth. We are in a nice location/good environment. My co-workers are great - very competent, dedicated and have high standards - that is why they are here. I am proud to work for Travelers.

From Atlanta — 08/03/2007

Pay: Very good compared to the insurance company I worked for previously.
Respect: Great so far. Work life balance is good. My manager
encourages me to go home and spend time with my family.
Benefits: Good. Health, dental, life, etc....
Job security: No issues. More jobs are posted.
Wok/Life balance: I'm completing my job in 40 hours a week. Something I
couldn't do in 50 hours at my previous employer.
Career: Seems great. I have noticed plenty of people coming in from
other insurance companies.
Location: Alparetta. I love in Cumming. It's great compared to driving
to Marietta.
Co-workers: Great so far.
Work environment: I major upgrade.

It's been great so far. I think I have found an employer where I can advance my career. People are great here.